What's your favorite book lately?

Talk about the films you're seeing, programmes you're watching and books you're reading.

Moderator: Moderator

What's your favorite book lately?

Postby kay on January 27th, 2014, 6:38 am

Now that all the excitement is over, I find it is still winter, still dark, still cold, and so far to spring I despair. At least there are books. My favorite reads in the last year are as follows: Life After Life, by Kate Atkinson, a study of chance, fate, fiction and how we build our own life's narrative; All of Dorothy Dunnett's two historical fiction series, and how did I not know about them before?; and The Old Ways, A Journey on Foot by Robert Macfarlane, a lovely meditation on how walking connects us to the world and ourselves. I wonder what Tom is reading this winter? Anyway, let's talk books and pass the time until the birds sing again.
kay

Re: What's your favorite book lately?

Postby tracy on January 27th, 2014, 3:15 pm

the only books i have are of tom and also elisabeth sladen :D
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby jaybee on January 27th, 2014, 5:29 pm

In the last couple of years, I've become quite a fan of "light" fantasy. (I understand and enjoy the "light" stuff, can't deal with the "heavy" stuff where my imagination just won't help at all.)

So, last year I discovered the "The Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan and finished by Brandon Sanderson after Jordan's death and read the entire 14-book series. Now I'm working on Robin Hobb's trilogies. I've finished the Rain Wild trilogy and am currently working on the Farseer trilogy. When that's done, I'll be reading the Liveship trilogy and then the Tawny Man trilogy followed by the Soldier Son trilogy.

In between, I've read the latest two of the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik.
jaybee

Postby Betty on January 27th, 2014, 6:36 pm

I've been extremely busy these past few months with work and research, so I haven't had much time for books not connected with the above. I did, however, read The Great Gatsby (I should have done that years ago), which I very much enjoyed. I have a long list of books I want to read, but sadly not much time. I used to read in public transport, but now that I work from home, there isn't much of that anymore.
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby bonita4k2p on January 29th, 2014, 5:37 am

I've been reading the "Cat in the Stacks" books by Miranda James, "Amelia Peabody" books by Elizabeth Peters, "Sister Fidelma" books by Peter Tremayne, among others. Soon, I will read "Midnight come again" by Dana Stabenow for our book club next month. I enjoy reading series and short stories.
bonita4k2p

Postby Graceful Leonard on April 8th, 2014, 3:30 pm

I read a lot, especially since doing my lit degree, so I usually have more than one book on the go: one for pleasure and one or two for study.

Currently, I'm re-reading Crime & Punishment by Dostoevsky and Orlando by Virginia Woolf...both of which are just brilliant. I'm waiting to start Introducing Bakhtin by Vice and The Rotter's Club by Coe, neither of which I've read before.

I wish more was done in the UK to encourage people to read...it doesn't matter if it's War and Peace or Harry Potter. Reading is so life-enhancing, it needn't cost anything, and it's available to all. I honestly believe books saved my life.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby Captain Rum on April 18th, 2014, 1:03 am

The last books of Fiction I read were the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary books, the 3rd-7th Doctor ones, as they're the Doctors I really like. I'm an avid reader and usually have more books to read than I have time for, but in the last few months I've been poorly and working from home, so it's meant better time management to catch up. When I work I'm usually based in Cornwall (although I live in Yeovil, on the Somerset/Dorset border) and it's a wonderful place, like a second home, but haven't been able to commute to my office, so have been reading quite a few books about Cornwall as I've been missing the place. The last book I ordered (Wednesday night) is "A303 Highway To The Sun" as this week I watched a repeat of the tv version of it and it reminded me that Somerset's pretty good too :) I like to read all kinds of books, whatever can capture my imagination and heart usually ends up with me reading most of it overnight :D
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Postby tch on April 19th, 2014, 2:32 pm

My current book obsession is old mysteries.
Been reading 'Lady Molly of Scotland Yard' by the Baroness Orczy ( the woman who created the Scarlet Pimperneil)

I found some old Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books at a library book sale.

and a collection of new stories featuring Judex, the French mystery man from the 1920s.
tch

Return to TV, Film, Books and Music