Silence In The Library

Talk about the films you're seeing, programmes you're watching and books you're reading.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Silence In The Library

Postby GluttonousAnorexia on January 21st, 2010, 2:52 am

I feel exceedingly lame... I haven't so much as seen a copy of Tom's books, let alone read and reread them. I am a poor college student in the States, after all. Most people around me look at me myopically and say "Who is that?" when faced with my geek fangirl tendencies. I know, sad. Its hard to be cool around here.

Anyway, in lieu of having them, I guess I would grab my copy of Catch-22 since I love it about the best. I try to reread it every year, finding new things every time. I'd also grab Stranger in a Strange Land while I was at it, and my complete works of Edgar Allen Poe... I would grab Arthur C. Clarke if I had any, however I do not. Most of my books are things I found in the Libraries Discard pile.

But the book I would never leave in my house, the one I would grab before my Tolkien or my Adams or my Rowling books, would be John Lennon's In His Own Write. I love to sit and read it aloud to myself. At one time I had half of it memorised and would quote it to annoy people. Alas, apparently it actually did annoy people and I quit, now I don't remember it so well. But still great fun.

No! Wait, I forgot, the book I couldn't survive without would be The Hypochondriac's Guide to Horrible Diseases You Probably Already Have.
I named my phone "Tom Baker's Face" for the practical reason- I now get to say "Damn, Tom Baker's Face is ringing, give me a sec," and other such awesomely weird things.
GluttonousAnorexia

Postby Moderator on January 21st, 2010, 6:55 pm

Now, that is a book I need in my library!

Dirk :ugeek:

Postby Gold Usher on January 22nd, 2010, 3:41 am

I was looking at an ORIGINAL signed pen sketch by John Lennon today (not a sealed and signed by Yoko one she put out after his death) but the real McCoy. A large drawing of a woman doing something...well --something done in private from his 'erotic' series and the price tag is near $11,000, the second one 'the Piano Player' was a bit more 'polite' and not as expensive. My boss is thinking about the big one...but he'd have to hang that in his bedroom I think.

Now that's a lot of books! The only book by Lennon I have is, "How I Won The War".
Gold Usher

Postby paradoxFox on January 23rd, 2010, 8:52 pm

I have books that I'd proudly speak of, and books I'd apologize for. I have books here and there and everywhere, and I'm always wanting more!

I read everything. From the back of shampoo bottles to obscure history journals. I find something of interest in every genre, and from many, many authors.

I currently own seven full scale bookcases crammed with books, and all sorts of nooks tucked away with printed matter.

My favorite authors are Walt Whitman, Ray Bradbury, Kurt Vonnegut, E.E. Cummings and Mark Twain.

...but I love so many works, by so many people.

I have many books on history, as it's a passion of mine. I have many books on art, as it's the same. I have numerous books on religion (one of the two subjects one is not supposed to discuss, but is one of my favorite topics to discuss), and many books on media related things, along with graphic novels and poetry.

The most recent thing I've read was a book I had first read in high school: Woody Allen's without feathers.

Well that and the shampoo bottle.
A life without cause is a life without effect.
paradoxFox

Location: The United States of America but wherever I am there I be

Postby Mouser on January 24th, 2010, 4:44 am

Oh yes, Amonium Laurel Sulphate.

One of my favorites. :D
Well, my doctorate is purely honorary, and Harry here is only qualified to work on sailors.
Mouser

Postby Jedi Princess on January 25th, 2010, 5:58 pm

Trying to chose a favorite book would be like trying to pick a favorite part of my soul..............however, some of the books I own and cherish are the Lord of the Rings trilogy, the Circle (by Ted Dekker), Dune, the Thursday Next novels, Count of Monte Cristo, and the mysteries by such authors as Agatha Christie, Arthur Conan Doyle, and G.K. Chesterton, as well as the Redwall series and the Castaways of the Flying Dutchman novels, both by Brian Jacques. There are far too many others to mention right now :D
"The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship... Everything has its time. And everything ends." - Sarah Jane, School Reunion
Jedi Princess

Postby pattie anne on January 28th, 2010, 6:41 pm

I also have a complete collection of:

The Charile Chan Mystries - Earl Derr Biggers

and

The Captain Horatio Hornblower Series - C. S. Forester

Avast and ahoy! Wonder where they all are? just at this particular moment in TIME.

;)

Seems they are all about do for another re-read.

:D
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby Marcello Cristiano on February 3rd, 2010, 3:08 pm

I forgot to mention Doctor Who reference books, which I have tons. I re-read them all, especially The Writer's Tale by Russell T Davies
Marcello Cristiano

Postby tch on March 22nd, 2010, 12:14 am

Lots of Jules Verne, Douglas Adams, Alexander Dumas, Frank Baum, Philip Jose Farmer, an enormous amount of Doctor Who books ( only missing two of the target novelizations) and an equally large collection of comics in trade paperback form.
tch

Postby bonnie on May 9th, 2010, 1:02 am

I have two and a half bookcases overflowing with books. I own books by these authors and more:

Barbara Michaels

Elizabeth Peters

Peter Tremayne

Dan Brown

Lincoln Child

Donna Andrews

Lilian Jackson Braun

Nevada Barr

Marcia Muller

Agatha Christie

John Creasey

Laurie R King

Mary Stewart

Wendy Corsi Staub

Shirley Damsgaard

Leann Sweeney

Cordelia Frances Biddle

Nero Blanc

Isaac Asimov

And last but not least:

Numerous Star Trek, ST: Voyager, Torchwood, and Dr Who by various authors.

I have many others but too numerous to name here.
bonnie

PreviousNext

Return to TV, Film, Books and Music