New season thoughts

Talk about the films you're seeing, programmes you're watching and books you're reading.

Moderator: Moderator

New season thoughts

Postby tch on April 30th, 2013, 2:50 am

I'd forgotten how much I love Ice Warriors.
More Doctors should have had an Ice Warrior story. Shame there was that mess up during Colin's run, so we never got his story with them.

Other thought: Man, I love that new coat Matt Smith is wearing now!

Not deep thoughts, I will admit, but I'm too much in fanboy mode for any in-depth reviews.
tch

Re: New season thoughts

Postby Graceful Leonard on April 30th, 2013, 3:56 pm

Interesting to hear about reactions to the new series.

I only watched it briefly when it first started, and the episodes with Lis Sladen. To me, it was a very different show to the classic series, and a lot of what I liked most had gone.

What do you think of Matt Smith's doctor in general?
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby tch on May 9th, 2013, 4:41 pm

I think Matt Smith is brilliant. When people grumble about the new show not being 'real Who' I point to him and dare people to tell me he is not the Doctor.
He does eccentric like he's not acting, can easily move into serious and has these wonderful little touches that just amaze me.
Considering he grew up in the 'wilderness years' he looks and acts like they took some DNA from Tom and some from Patrick Troughton and just grew themselves a Doctor.

Other thought: people keep talking about how this season, each episode is done in the feel/manner of a past Doctor.
Has anyone seen 'Hide?"
To me it has that gothic sci-fi feel of Tom's era, but my son insists it reminds him of Pertwee stuff.
I need a tie breaker.
tch

Postby Betty on May 9th, 2013, 7:32 pm

I vote for your son on this one ;) But it's close.

I like the new season very much. Before, it was getting a bit too big - large story arcs that didn't really make any sense, saving existence itself in almost every episode, etc. Now it feels like they're concentrating more on individual stories, and that's good. By the way, the most recent episode - Crimson Horror - is one of my favourites from the new series. Spoiler coming, so stop reading now if you haven't seen it yet: I like the fact that the alien isn't the manipulative monster, like it's so often the way.
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby NICHLOAS R on May 12th, 2013, 9:50 pm

"yes this season has been a good one only one turkey last nights the silver planet had the cyberman or the new cyberman wich wore great but best of alltom was in it with the other doctors as they went inside the doctors head and we had a glimps of tom and all the other doctors as the doctor has been infected by a cyber bug .and the gun they used against the cybermen was ace . good story :D
NICHLOAS R

Postby tch on May 25th, 2013, 2:24 am

Journey to the center of the Tardis: gotta say, Tom did a better 'running through the Tardis' story in 'Invasion of time'.
Some nice moments, but the story was clunky.
Though, it does seem appropriate that the Tardis has its own quarry.

Crimson Horror: Lord, why won't they give the victorian trio their own show!?
So good to see Diana Rigg being unrelentingly evil.
tch

Postby Betty on May 25th, 2013, 12:41 pm

I love Sontaran Strax. I agree that they could definitely do with their own show. Especially now that the other Doctor Who spin-off series are more or less finished.
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby tch on May 26th, 2013, 9:21 pm

Nightmare in silver: not as brilliant as "Doctor's wife', but close or maybe a different kind of brilliant.

The kids could have been done horribly, but were used just enough. Brilliant performances by Matt Smith and Warwick Davis.
Really great to see the Cybermen being portrayed as scary menacing.Love the mention of the 699 wonders of the universe.

The background characters never got to be more than types, but this was a pretty busy episode and that's really my only grumble about this one.

Season 7 is really turning out be one of the most solidly written seasons since the show came back.
tch

Postby tch on June 1st, 2013, 2:45 pm

Name of the Doctor: Well, that was a glorious mess. The first five minutes and the last are amazing, the stuff in the middle is wildly uneven.

A nice collection of really nice bits help distract you from the fact that the story is a bit weak and mostly a set up for the aniversary special.
Really prefer Clara as just a companion rather than a big cosmic thing.
Richard Grant isn't given much to do, but does he do it well. e would have made a great Doctor.

Lots of build up, now we have to wait and see if Moffat can pull it off.
tch

Return to TV, Film, Books and Music