Closing down of the Dr Who Blackpool Exhibition

This is where to talk about your Doctor Who collections, about conventions you have been to and places where you may have met Tom.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Closing down of the Dr Who Blackpool Exhibition

Postby TARDIS-Tara on November 11th, 2009, 4:44 am

Hi there!

My name is Tara Wheeler and I am writing a book on the history and construction of Doctor Who Scarves.

David Boyle was kind enough to let me come in and examine the Season Eighteen Scarf they had on display at the Doctor Who Blackpool Exhibition before they closed.

I took measurements, recorded the knitting pattern (it's different from the official BBC pattern!) and did color matching.

I'm in the process of knitting a duplicate of this scarf in yarn as close to the original as I can get it. As soon as I know the yarn requirements, I will publish a free pattern on my website.

And no, I don't sell scarves. I provide patterns free of charge so the fans can enjoy them.

However, I would adore providing Tom with a new scarf in any yarn he might choose!

I think it's a crying shame the Blackpool Exhibit was closed. It was the largest collection of classic Who memorabilia available anywhere. It made an awful lot of people very happy. I am very sorry to see it go.
"Pity about the scarf-- Madame Nostradamus made it for me-- a witty little knitter. Never get another one like it--" The Doctor, Ark in Space
TARDIS-Tara

Postby tracy on November 11th, 2009, 10:50 am

:D welcome and thanks for sharing your story with us its a great what you do and wish you all the best
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Kathy on November 12th, 2009, 12:19 pm

oh NOOOOOO! :cry: I can't believe its closed! Im really sad to have not known about it sooner, to pay one last visit.
I recall going to the original exhibition in Blackpool every year when I was little ( still have my badge and Who theme vinyl single!) Ive gone most years to this new one and its criminal for it to be closed down - especially since there arent many other things of this kind in the north. Im glad I got a few photos last time I went now. :cry:
Kathy

Postby Scott Lord on November 15th, 2009, 6:31 pm

Well, just got back from the auction.

I saved a few pieces but really the whole thing is very sad.

On a positive note, it was really nice to see a bunch of real fans get together and be 'geeky' about things - the people in the crowd were telling the BBC man what the props were and which episodes they were from!

Interestingly, there was not much interest in the new Doctor Who stuff. I guess the BBC must always be right.... except why does everyone still like the originals? Hmmmmm, we must be in the wrong I guess. After all, what do we know compared to the mighty BBC and their corporate executives??

Well, I've replaced sadness with sarcasm! Next stop happiness and elation!!

TARDIS-Tara wrote:Hi there!

My name is Tara Wheeler and I am writing a book on the history and construction of Doctor Who Scarves.

David Boyle was kind enough to let me come in and examine the Season Eighteen Scarf they had on display at the Doctor Who Blackpool Exhibition before they closed.

I took measurements, recorded the knitting pattern (it's different from the official BBC pattern!) and did color matching.

I'm in the process of knitting a duplicate of this scarf in yarn as close to the original as I can get it. As soon as I know the yarn requirements, I will publish a free pattern on my website.

And no, I don't sell scarves. I provide patterns free of charge so the fans can enjoy them.

However, I would adore providing Tom with a new scarf in any yarn he might choose!

I think it's a crying shame the Blackpool Exhibit was closed. It was the largest collection of classic Who memorabilia available anywhere. It made an awful lot of people very happy. I am very sorry to see it go.
Scott Lord

Postby John on November 15th, 2009, 8:24 pm

Scott Lord wrote:I saved a few pieces but really the whole thing is very sad.

Which pieces did you save?
John

Postby Scott Lord on November 15th, 2009, 10:13 pm

Only a couple of bits - a photo of the Nimon and a brilliant shot of a lizard-monster!

It was totally surreal, and I only wish I had acted sooner on a few items - there were some brilliant pieces of fan-art that went for peanuts when I should have bid.

The thing is, this was all done without any publicity. There were people still walking into the exhibition (or what is left of it) who didn't even know it had closed down!

I should have bought more, if only because I would preserve it for future exhibitions - albeit without the BBC being involved (I see it as I bought it, so I own the rights to use it how I wish!)

As I said in a previous post, meeting some genuine fans was a real boost. There WILL be an auction early next year (I heard it from the Beeb official) and again, this is a sad sad day for the BBC - if only they realise it. Which, of course, they couldn't care less about - or even seem to be aware of the consequences of their actions.

I am very sorry to be so negative. Anyone who knows me, knows how positive I actually am. I am a musician who can reproduce all the sound effects from the good old days of Dr Who, and am so positive towards the arts it's ridiculous! I just seem to come out of this experience in Blackpool having had a taste of the BBC leaving a sour, sour taste in my mouth!

This is Tom's website, and I don't want to be so negative - sorry Mr Baker!!!!

I bought a photo of K9 in the 'K9 and Friends' spin-off, and gave it to one member of staff who deserved it.

For those who are concerned, the original costumes seem to have been whisked off somewhere by the BBC. However, they are not commentating on where they have gone to. Again, I remind people that there is an auction planned for the new year.

This is the last post I will write for this particular topic. I will come back with something more positive about Tom. Did I mention that Kroll has been residing in Blackpool for the last few years? I took a few photos (hang the BBC policy!) and he looks rather good for his age!

I'm drinking a few glasses of whiskey tonight (Islay if you're into that sort of thing!) and would love to hear from the lady who mentioned a knitting pattern for Toms scarf! I couldn't get the camera to focus on the scarf in the low light of the exhibition, so a detailed analysis needs to be spread out amongst the fans!!
Scott Lord

Postby Scott Lord on November 16th, 2009, 10:43 am

Ahhhh, I've just been moderated!!

Apparently I can't use any expression that involved Blackpool Pier (walk the plank ahoy!!)

From now on, I shall post more moderate stuff...

So ....

lol - gosh golly isn't Dr Who fantabulous!!

:)

Hmmm, I think I'd like to 'self moderate' this last post....

After the recent resurfacing of the photos of Tom visiting Blackpool, and his comments on this matter I'd like to finish this topic on a better note.

Yes, memories are the best museum. And it's great that the BBC have kept the memories alive for so long. I know they closed down the museum in Blackpool, but I'm looking forward for the other museums of the future to have the chance to exhibit these old exhibits. It's great that the BBC have told us they would not sell their collection of original props and costumes.

I look forward to the opportunity to go and see the props from Blackpool in other parts of the UK.

I hope that gives this topic a better feel for the website. I missed the Birthday, but happy Birthday-and-a-bit should you read this(!)

Ahh, how I've become old and ranting. I never used to be - mind you, it was 25 years ago!
Scott Lord

Previous

Return to Memorabilia, Merchandise, and Doctor Who Conventions