The time war

This is the place to talk about what Doctor Who - or Tom Baker as the Doctor - has meant to you in your life.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: The time war

Postby jaybee on May 5th, 2011, 4:02 am

XD is just a smile so big that your eyes squint or close. Kinda like this :D
X = The eyes.
D = The mouth.
jaybee

Postby MCH on May 5th, 2011, 12:29 pm

Ok thanks Jaybee. XD lol

MCH
MCH

Postby tch on May 6th, 2011, 11:19 am

Tom's Doctor mentions being blamed for the great fire.Can't remember which episode, might 'Talons of Weng-Chiang.'

My point isthat with it's long history and tons of people involved, mistakes will happen, people like us will notice them, and people on the show will scratch their heads and try and fix them.

The Time War and the Cracks are devices that can be used to fix things, a shorthand. Yes, they could become a crutch for lazy writing, and I do miss the Time Lords, but I like the mystique of the Time War.

and afterall, it's not like RTD was the first to do it, Tom's messing with Dalek history in 'Genesis' has been used to explain away when Dalek history gets timey-whimey.
tch

Postby Prydonian on May 6th, 2011, 8:50 pm

Some say that the Dalek history before Genesis never took place and that a new, second history took it's place after the Doctor's involvement with trying to avert their creation in that story. Some say this was the first shot fired in the Time War. There are other incdients in classic Who that suggest something bigger was happening behind the scenes, just outside the Doctor's view.
Prydonian

Postby Clara Listensprechen on May 6th, 2011, 10:56 pm

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby Prydonian on May 7th, 2011, 12:02 am

I think you are right, Clara, in pointing out that not all Time Lords were on Gallifrey at the time they were seen in the classic series. I have to wonder if the Guardians of Time were involved with the War, though, as they seemed to be beings who were stronger than the Time Lords were, and more concerned with their own things and not the affairs of us lesser mortals.
Prydonian

Postby MCH on May 7th, 2011, 1:35 am

I don't know about the explanation of the time war that was presented in the last few episodes of Tennant's reign. Wasn't it something like the Time Lords figured they couldn't win the war with the Daleks and they didn't want the Daleks to take over the universe so they opted to destroy the universe instead? And, the Doctor didn't want the universe destroyed so he destroyed the planet that had the Daleks and the genocidal Galifreyans on?

What about the counsel of planets or whatever they are called? Why didn't they help in the war. What about the fact that there was race of androids that fought the Daleks into a stale mate? The Doctor could defeat some Daleks by himself. Why couldn't a whole race of "Doctors" win against them? *shrugs*

MCH
MCH

Postby Clara Listensprechen on May 7th, 2011, 1:53 am

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby MCH on May 7th, 2011, 2:13 am

Clara,
I know how you feel, lol. Btw, how far have you gotten with the classics?

MCH
MCH

Postby Clara Listensprechen on May 7th, 2011, 2:44 am

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

PreviousNext

Return to What Doctor Who and/or Tom Baker means to me