The time war

This is the place to talk about what Doctor Who - or Tom Baker as the Doctor - has meant to you in your life.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: The time war

Postby tch on December 26th, 2010, 11:20 pm

Actually, both your question are from the same episode, 'The Invasion of time'.
One of my faves.

The hunter- gatherers were seen as people that had dropped out of Time Lord society and never get mentioned again after this story.
tch

Postby MCH on December 31st, 2010, 6:55 pm

I've been re-watching "the Invasion of Time". I forgot how funny it was to see Tom "hopscotching" down a corridor, lol.

And how I jumped when HE yelled at the Chancellor for attempting to leave the room without permission.

I also had forgotten that the Sontarans were in it. Can you say UGLY?

I was also amused when A guard asked Leela to try and not kill anyone. She was a real "scrapper". And that outfit :shock: No wonder the Doctor kept her around, lol.

And of course I always enjoy the dialog between the Doctor and K-9.

AND, my favorite quote from the show is the Doctor saying to Leela and another woman, "I am a time lord, not a painter or decorator!" What a hoot!

I also liked where the Doctor kept walking in circles inside the TARDIS and the ladies kept badgering him about being lost. HE said that he knew the TARDIS like the back of his hand, and held his hand out, palm up. Leela, grabs his hand and turns it, back hand, up. It's the little things in life that can bring great pleasure! :lol:

Annnd, the masterpiece was at the end where the Doctor pulls out the box with K-9 MII on it and smiles.

MC
MCH

Postby pattie anne on January 6th, 2011, 11:46 pm

the episode was "invasion of time." and you are thinking of the shobogans, gallifreyans WHO choose to live "outside." they were considered outsiders and outcasts. and castellan spandrell (of 'deadly assassin') thought of them as vandals.

and yes, i am a historian. even have a REAL college degree in it. ;) no, not in dr who ... HISTORY. :mrgreen:

oopsie :oops: didn't realize this Topic had a second page and was already answered. sorry. :|
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby The Cloaked One on January 7th, 2011, 5:35 am

For information on Gallifrey, the best serials to watch are:
1. The War Games. The final episode of the serial is the introduction of the Timelords. The serial also introduces SIDRATs, an earlier version of the TARDISes.
2. Genesis of the Daleks: The Timelords are sending the Doctor around to interfere with other planets even though this is against their policy. The supposed begin of what would eventually become the Time War.
3. The brain of Morbius: An ex-ruler of Gallifrey.
4. The Three Doctors: This involves the timelord who made time travel possible for their race.
5. The Deadly Assassain: The Doctor travels to Gallifrey to prevent the president from being assassinated.
6. The End of Time: The Doctor and his companion travel to Gallifrey. This one has more focus on the people outside of the main base.

There's also Evil of the Daleks which was where the Daleks got split into two factions and supposedly were eventually going to wipe themselves out due to Civil War.

For the Time War:
1. The End of Time: The Tenth Doctor brings up why Gallifrey was destroyed.
2. The Last of the Timelords: The Doctor describes Gallifrey as it was, its sky and beauty.
3. Dalek: The Doctor shouts at a Dalek about how he killed all the rest of their kind.

Despite the list of serials here, most of Doctor Who you can simply watch a serial and enjoy it without having to worry about intricate plot arcs. This is true mostly for the for old who.

For theories and oddities:
The Time War was basically a device in which the writers could cover up any mistake they made in the old series. Such as Earth being destroyed on different dates (End of the World vs. Arc in Space) and other continuity errors. Basically time was changed as this is a time travel story so it does not need any consistency on dates. If they carry it to the extreme, Earth could have previously 25th century technology at present time because the past got screwed up. To quote Steven Moffat "a television series which embraces both the ideas of parallel universes and the concept of changing time can't have a continuity error — it's impossible for Doctor Who to get it wrong, because we can just say 'he changed time — it's a time ripple from the Time War'." Or this could be just bad writing.
The reason why all the timelords were on Gallifrey is unknown since there were quite a few renegades.
The Master, he has returned, of course.
The Rani: Time and the Rani, The Mark and the Rani
The Meddler: The Time Meddler, the Dalek Master Plan
Susan: An Unearthly Child through The Dalek Invasion of Earth.
K'anpo: Planet of the Spiders
The War Chief: The War Games (He was supposedly brought to the homeworld of the group, but the Timewar might have very well undone this and he could show up again)
Debatable continuity Shada: Timelords built a prison for would-be conquerers of the universe and I believe there were a few timelords in there as well.
Maybe even Leela and her husband left Gallifrey before the war and avoided it.

I do not disrespect Moffat for his previous work. He has had many great ideas as well:
The Curse of Fatal Death, Blink, The Library, and the Empty Child are all spectacular.
Tom Baker has called New Who a few times on their goofs. But the Time War is basically their entire platform.
Si-Fy and Fantasy, that is where my heart lies. To Doctor Who and its 18 years of brilliance, still waiting on the 50 yr anniversary!
The Cloaked One

Postby Prydonian on May 4th, 2011, 12:58 am

The Time War may very well never be explained in more detail than a passing fancy. They have had six seasons now to further the arc and aside from having Time Lords at the end of the War in The End of Time, have done little about it. It was more of a dramatic piece when Eccleston was still happening and has been wasted by his successors.
Prydonian

Postby Clara Listensprechen on May 4th, 2011, 2:16 am

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby The Cloaked One on May 4th, 2011, 7:25 am

Pretty close. It let's the writing staff, specifically to freely contradict old material, anything that occured before the Time Wars. RTD directly stated that as his purpose for including it. The Earth was destroyed in year X in Arc in Space, but in year Y in Rose. RTD's answer, Time was changed. Any event, from the exile on Earth, to where and when any previous incarnation of the Doctor regenerated can be changed at will by any writer. Heck, they could have the eleventh suddenly turn into Sylvester McCoy at the beginning of a serial and go "Well crap, something's wrong with the time stream again" mind you that would be pretty cool.
With the fifth season and the 'Cracks in Time,' this was a second time they can reference if they decide to directly conflict with any continuity from the first five seasons of Nu (New) Who, I alternate spelling too much. XD
Basically Amy restored the universe and whether it is 'exactly' the same or not is up to whoever writes the next seasons.
I personally don't like this because it feels like a betrayal to the fans and a breakdown of any continuity. As Steven Moffat says "a television series which embraces both the ideas of parallel universes and the concept of changing time can't have a continuity error — it's impossible for Doctor Who to get it wrong, because we can just say 'he changed time — it's a time ripple from the Time War'" Now change 'Time War' to the "Amy's fix to the Cracks in Time"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_War_%28Doctor_Who%29
Si-Fy and Fantasy, that is where my heart lies. To Doctor Who and its 18 years of brilliance, still waiting on the 50 yr anniversary!
The Cloaked One

Postby tch on May 4th, 2011, 5:51 pm

While the time war and the cracks can be used as a bit of a cheat to 'fix' things, let's not forget that classic Who continuity was not exactly a smooth, well organized thing.
They sank Atlantis three times, started the great fire of London twice, kept forgetting how old the Doctor was and have given, I think three explanations for Stonehenge.

So, the show really needs a few gimmicks to allow them to fix things and/or protect them from geeks like us, with your encyclopedic knowledge of the show.

Do love the idea of the time line being so messed up that Matt Smith Regenerates into a past Doctor.
I still wish when the Pandorica had opened one of the classic Doctors had come stumbling out.
tch

Postby The Cloaked One on May 5th, 2011, 3:03 am

Some errors. XD I just did not like the 'fix.'
1. For sinking Atlantis, there might have been more than one Atlantis unless the Doctor arrived at the same location three times, then the Atlantians are just some persistent folk and the Eleventh is going to need to sink them again.
2. I know the Fifth Doctor started the Great Fire, who else did?
3. Apparently the Stonehenge was multipurpose, or it had no purpose and the Doctor found it amusing to jest with.
4. From what I gather, with a few guesses, the First Doctor was 450 years old, the second and third lived for a combined total of around thirty years(The second had Jaime as a companion nearly the entire time as a gauge for time, ignoring season 6b, and the third had companions continually to gauge time passing again. There was novels stating a possible ten year time gap after Planet of the Spiders, and the fan film with the 2.5 doctor business, but in general I stick to the second and third having lived for only 30 years) The fourth was 756 and had several points in his tenure where he ventured alone and could have had innumerable unrecorded adventures(i.e. the audio plays Tom is releasing now XD), the fifth through ninth lasted until about the age 900 (although the 7th had a 900 year diary or something XD) and the Ninth and tenth have only lived a combined total of 7 years.
Simplified:
1st: 450
2nd: 465-ish
3rd- 480- ish
4th- 756
5th-8th- 899
9th- 900
10th- 907
11th- ?
I always figured that the 500 diary was not for how old the Doctor was, but at what age he would 'complete' the diary and move on to the next one.
The Cloaked One

Postby MCH on May 5th, 2011, 3:25 am

Ok, what does XD stand for please? Thank you in advance. It's probably as plain as the nose of a proboscis monkey but I can't see it. I don't have my glasses on, lol.

MCH
MCH

PreviousNext

Return to What Doctor Who and/or Tom Baker means to me