Doctor Who? - My History With The Doctor

This is the place to talk about what Doctor Who - or Tom Baker as the Doctor - has meant to you in your life.

Moderator: Moderator

Doctor Who? - My History With The Doctor

Postby Karrit on June 9th, 2013, 1:43 pm

I was born in 1979 and very much a child of the 80s/90s. My earliest recllactions of Doctor Who are from the mid-80s when it aired regularly on PBS stations here in the United States. I don't recall watching it regularly, but I knew enough that it was British and science fiction.

While in college I had a professor named Daniel Trout, who was into many of the geekish things I was myself. Well, one of my friends told me he was a fan of Doctor Who. I thought, 'Oh that's cool. I remember that show somewhat.'. Shortly after, me and my friends were in a grociery store that carried jelly babies. Jackie, my best friend, told me about them being an intrical part on the show. One day I came over to their apartment where they were watching a Tom Baker serial online. It was 'Destiny of the Daleks' I think. I asked which character was the doctor, to which they said the guy with the curly mop and scarf. I said something along the lines, "That's the Doctor? I thought he was an old man.". See back in the 80s I remembered a man with white hair. I am not sure it was the First Doctor or the Third Doctor, because what I saw was in color-unless it was an episode from 'The Three Doctors' or 'The Five Doctors'. It could have been.

I started looking into Doctor Who and watching some of the new and old Who. Naturally, I started liking what I saw from both. If I could pick a preference, I would say it would have to be Classic Who. There's something I feel old British programs have that isn't as apparent today. So anyway, I watched some Tom Baker serials first, but then I discovered the late Jon Pertwee. I can't rightfully explain my immediate attraction. It could be the prescence he carries in those fance smoking jackets and ruffles that he wore, his class, and perhaps that he used martial arts (I am a martial artist in real life). Even so, I realised Jon Pertwee is my Doctor. Tom Baker comes in a close second. What is it I like about Tom's Doctor? He's so wonderfully eccentric and animated. He has that voice, those amazingly blue eyes and that toothy smile. And then there's the scarf.

Is it possible to have two Doctors? If I compiled a list of my top five Doctors, they woud be: Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Matt Smith, Patrick Troughton, and David Tennant. My list could change depending on Doctor 12, but no other Doctor will ever remove Pertwee nor Baker from their number 1 & 2 slots.
Last edited by Karrit on June 10th, 2013, 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Courage isn’t a matter of not being frightened, it’s being afraid and doing what you have to do anyway." - Third Doctor
Karrit

Re: Doctor Who? - My History With The Doctor

Postby tracy on June 9th, 2013, 3:19 pm

i guess you can have alist of who you like but for me its tom as me being a fan of tom only :D
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby tch on June 9th, 2013, 4:02 pm

My list has tom at the #1 spot, as he was my first Doctor, then there's a ten way tie for the second spot.

I have the same opinion on Doctors as Nick Courtney: 'Wonderful chap, all of them!'

I grew up watching Who my local PBS station and the Tom to Peter Davidson was the first regeneration I ever saw. It amazed me, as all we ever saw for years was Tom's stories, with the occasional Pertwee. I know about the idea of regeneration, but this was the first time watching it then having to gt used to a new guy.

Mostly if I wanted other Doctor stories, I had to track down the target novelizations. The two Yeti stories were my first books.

Now, thanks to netflix, I've gotten to see a little bit from all 11 and while not every story is a gem, every era has it's own special magic going for it.

Looking forward to the next 50 years.
tch

Postby metalheadjay on August 25th, 2013, 10:47 pm

I certainly consider Pertwee to be in the top 5 without a doubt. But I feel he was more James Bond(with the gadgets and action-oriented style) than the doctor. Tom's portrayal was the most alien and the most representative of the character. His unpredictability and surprised reactions to other characters and their motives seems how an eccentric timelord from Gallifrey would behave. Take all that with his iconic trademarks and it's easy to see why he is seen as the most definitive doctor by a vast majority.

Tom's 4th doctor is one of the greatest tv characters in history and is one of the absolute best role models a child OR an adult can have.
metalheadjay

Postby mikotyk on September 5th, 2013, 2:27 am

metalheadjay wrote:I certainly consider Pertwee to be in the top 5 without a doubt. But I feel he was more James Bond(with the gadgets and action-oriented style) than the doctor. Tom's portrayal was the most alien and the most representative of the character. His unpredictability and surprised reactions to other characters and their motives seems how an eccentric timelord from Gallifrey would behave. Take all that with his iconic trademarks and it's easy to see why he is seen as the most definitive doctor by a vast majority.

Tom's 4th doctor is one of the greatest tv characters in history and is one of the absolute best role models a child OR an adult can have.

I think that Tom set the template for every other Doctor after him. I also enjoyed his sense of humor.
Someday, my ship will come in, but with my luck, I'll be stranded at the airport!
mikotyk

Return to What Doctor Who and/or Tom Baker means to me