Favorite Opening

This is the place to talk about what Doctor Who - or Tom Baker as the Doctor - has meant to you in your life.

Moderator: Moderator

Favorite Opening

Postby The Cloaked One on November 5th, 2010, 10:04 pm

What is your favorite Doctor Who opening and or music theme mix.

My favorite opening is a toss up between Pertwee's final opening and Tom Baker's tunnel. My favorite Doctor Who theme is the original from 1963, but I also like the remix that Tom Baker received in his final year that the fifth and sixth doctors carried as well.

On a different note. Does anyone else think that Further by LifeForce (original done by VNV Nation) strangely sounds like the song of a Timelord?
Si-Fy and Fantasy, that is where my heart lies. To Doctor Who and its 18 years of brilliance, still waiting on the 50 yr anniversary!
The Cloaked One

Re: Favorite Opening

Postby tracy on November 6th, 2010, 5:32 pm

:D mine has to be the tom baker opening
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Gold Usher on November 11th, 2010, 4:30 am

I would have to look up the one you suggest as not familiar with it.
Perhaps I'll find it on YouTube.

I liked the star field for Davison but the Peter Howell version was a 'radical' departure from what I was used to.
I never saw the other opening titles until much later in the early 90s. I would have to say Tom's was visually more interesting than the 'flamework' of the prior years.

I"ve been comparing the Murray Gold versions lately to see what he's done to tweak his own musical version of it.
He's had to opportunity to use all the instrumental variations he's come up with so far for a very large 'opus' production of it.
Gold Usher

Postby Prydonian on May 4th, 2011, 12:52 am

Without a doubt, the best openings for me are the 3rd and 4th Doctors openings, 1970-1980.
Prydonian

Postby Betty on October 31st, 2012, 1:52 am

The one I like most is the original 1st doctor theme song. It was the first one I heard and I guess it got associated with my positive feelings about the show. And even though the series got even better around the 3rd and 4th doctor, the original tune still has a very special effect on me. But the versions are pretty similar until they jazzed it up (not literally) for the 11th doctor. I don't really like that one but I got used to it over time.
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby metalheadjay on March 12th, 2013, 9:59 am

For me, it's always going to be the swirling tunnel with the classic Diamond Who logo and Tom's most powerful image on screen. For me that's the be all end all. Guess that would be 1974 - 1979. Although I dig the energy and bombast of the opening theme and music for Tom's final season(the explosion at the end!). "Star Wars" influence there, perhaps?
metalheadjay

Return to What Doctor Who and/or Tom Baker means to me