November newsletter

Here you are invited to discuss Tom's answers to questions in the Question Room and talk about his newsletters.

Moderator: Moderator

November newsletter

Postby jaybee on November 23rd, 2009, 5:40 am

Oh my gosh, Tom. You've done it again!

You paint such vivid pictures and this newsletter painted some very nice pictures. But the one that caught me totally off-guard and had me weeping with laughter was the picture that popped into my head on the last 4 sentences.

I saw a white-haired guy in a dressing gown (escapee from an old folks' home?) hiding behind a tree that was way to skinny for even Twiggy to hide behind, while a somewhat desperate stag gives him the leering eye. The stag with the raised eyebrow (if they had such things) giving the fellow the once-over and thinking to himself: "Hmm-m-m-m..."

Too too funny!!!
jaybee

Re: November newsletter

Postby Gold Usher on November 23rd, 2009, 6:11 am

"And as there were no young dears about he might have thought: “ Well, any port in a storm.” So I made myself scarce. Well, wouldn’t you?"

Love the word play ;)
Gold Usher

Postby Toothy Grin on November 23rd, 2009, 3:32 pm

I look forward to each Newsletter with great relish. They really bring a smile to my face (especially Tom's charmingly silly stories about his woodland/bonfire escapades and his dog Poppy. It's clear he loves her to bits. You're right about the images he conjures up - this tall, mad old bloke in a dressing gown and bubbly white hair hiding behind trees from deers- bonkers but brilliant! Nice to hear that he thinks the forum's going well. I think so too.
Toothy Grin

Postby Gham on November 23rd, 2009, 7:51 pm

Hooray - another newsletter. I count the days until my next dose of "The Further Adventures of Tom and Poppy" (and sometimes Bella-the-kitten too).

I wish Tom would bring out another autobiography (there's all the years in France to be covered, as well as his time on "Monarch of the Glen").

And does this mean Sun Makers will soon be out on DVD...?
Gham

Postby John on November 23rd, 2009, 7:56 pm

Commentaries are normally recorded well in advance of the stories release, so don't go getting your hopes up just yet.

We can but hope.
John

Postby merlinsseer on November 26th, 2009, 7:44 am

note:to avoid further questions about my insane reason for deleting this post- i am posting it again .

Not being well versed on Ballet dance step terminology , I had to go in search of the" cabriole " to be able to complete the mental picture of the Blackpool Illuminations lighting ceremony .
The description I found of the ' cabriole ' was very helpful and includes a video demonstration of this dance movement. My warped mind immediately wrapped a ridiculously long, striped scarf around the neck of the man in tights demonstrating the leap and landing of the " cabriole ".
Realizing that this was a ridiculous line of thought,my imagination wandered back over to the Blackpool Illuminations mental scape and I discovered that it had put Mr. Baker in the dance tights , complete with scarf and sonic screwdriver. From there the battle was played out in a lovely dance number that was not unlike one of the gang wars from " West-side Story ". As always , Elisabeth Sladen was beautiful in her tutu and Ian Marter ....well , double-breasted, blue blazers and tights don't go together no matter what. The death of the female dalek was touching and the Doctor a compassionate and sorrowful victor.
I am SO SORRY Mr. Baker , but I seem to be unable to purge my brain of this image and you are forever doomed to performing the ' Doctor Who and the Battle of Blackpool ' ballet in my head. I shall seek out professional help on this matter as soon as possible if it bothers you too much.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
merlinsseer

Postby Moderator on May 6th, 2010, 10:35 pm

Dear Merlin -

That was very kind of you, ma'am. ;)

Best,
Dirk :ugeek:

Return to About Tom’s Newsletters and Answers to Questions