Tom's Q&A December 2010 Round Table Discussion

Here you are invited to discuss Tom's answers to questions in the Question Room and talk about his newsletters.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Tom's Q&A December 2010 Round Table Discussion

Postby MCH on December 29th, 2010, 8:48 pm

I read that Tom broke his collar bone. Did that happen when HE took the tumble down the slope into that pit trap in the Sontaran Experiment? Only, didnt he say that he broke HIS collar bone in his second episode ? Wasn't that the Arc in Space? AnyWho, When I saw Him fall down that slope I thought, man that had to hurt! In having recently had shoulder surgery from a fall I could almost feel it. :shock:

Was Tom' voice affected by being in the pond or was it because he swallowed the pond? I wonder how long it lasted? I'll check out Android invasion. Thanks Pattie! And I'm glad HE called you dear, lol. :D

MC
Last edited by MCH on December 29th, 2010, 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MCH

Postby pattie anne on December 29th, 2010, 9:04 pm

not sure about when HE took the fall, but after that, they taped HIM up, and HIS stunt double did the rest of the fighting for that story, anyWHO. TOM said it made HIM forever afterwards leary of being too enthusiastic about stunts. and there is a black and white photo of HIM in a sling, on location, 'out there' as i have seen it in several places on the Internet.

HE said in an interview somewhere, that it was because HE had swallowed a mouthful of water that was in the filthy pond. if you notice, HIS voice is all gravelly, mostly in the exterior scenes [as they were all filmed together, in the span of one or two days.] after that HIS voice was quickly back to normal. (though HE did get a minor infection from it.)
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby The Weary Professor on December 30th, 2010, 11:25 am

Hi all.

I posted the question regarding Tom's willingness to travel to the U.S. What a pleasure to see that he responded!

Of course I wish his answer were different, since health considerations prevent me from making a return trip to the U.K. anytime soon (my last was a semester spent abroad back in 1985), and thus our chances of ever meeting in the flesh are rather poor--yet I must admire the poetic beauty and substance of his reply. It was a truly gentle refusal, both wistful and idyllic in its depiction of Tom's love of simplicity and nature.

I am enjoying reading his exchanges with others and all of your posts and comments.

Best New Year wishes to all!

The Weary Professor
The Weary Professor

Postby Moderator on December 30th, 2010, 3:34 pm

Dear The Weary Professor -

A happy and prosperous new year to you and yours too. Welcome to Tom's Virtual Table. BTW the same thing can be said RE your posts, your queries and your comments. :mrgreen:

Best,
Dirk :ugeek:

Postby jaybee on December 30th, 2010, 5:47 pm

I agree with The Weary Professor about Tom's lovely answer to his query.

From some of Tom's answers to other questions and from his newsletter where he talks about his "Paradise", I always get an uplifted feeling. He is quite eloquent in his writing (when he's not being hilariously or cryptically silly).

When he speaks of his "Paradise", I get the feeling of a man who is deep down in his heart and soul, totally, utterly, and very peacefully Happy. How rare that is in this day and age and how lucky he is to be able to experience it. And... how nice for us that he shares that feeling with us.
jaybee

Postby pattie anne on January 1st, 2011, 3:31 am

yes, after all of the truly 'orrible jelly' things that have happened to Our Mister TOM during HIS many and assorted winters ... so very glad to see that HE is now so very happy and content.

WHO knows! ... perhaps all those 'demons be gone' prayers had the desired effect after all. ;)

"oh, goodie!"
dr who IV
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby Gold Usher on January 3rd, 2011, 5:04 am

"No we don't decorate much as seven cats would just assume the decorations were for them."

I can imagine the chaos that would result with 14 little paws swatting and batting all the glittery shiny things that fly and roll off the tree. That's why I've not been able to decorate the lower third of the Christmas Tree for many many years. Pusscats are inquisitive! And as far as this year trying a real one on the floor...well the 3 dogs took care of that for next Christmas. :o
Gold Usher

Postby MCH on January 3rd, 2011, 1:18 pm

Have you guys seen the latest "Simon's Cat" video about the Christmas tree? It's funny and oh so accurate! The man's a genius at depicting cat behavior. :D

My decorating this year only consisted of some strands of icicle lights on the front porch.

And speaking of cat shenanigans. I once had a dare devil kitty named, Charlie Snowshoe. He was a party colored snowshoe Siamese. I knew that I was in trouble the day I met him, lol. I went to a ladies house to see him. She had him in her arms when she opened the screen door to let me inside but before I could take a step, the little scamp leapt into my arms. He gave me a look like, ok I'm ready to go home with you.

After a couple weeks of getting to know the inside of our house I decided to show him the back yard. He wandered around a bit sniffing and exploring then suddenly became both aware and fascinated at a nearby tree. Before I could stop him he was scampering up the side and perched on a branch that was about 10 feet up. Well, he thought that was the coolest thing he'd ever done and was very proud of himself. So self assured in fact that he then decided to walk further out on the branch. All the while I'm trying to talk him into changing his mind about his course of action but it all fell on deaf ears. And as I feared he walked far enough that the branch no longer supported his weight and he came down with a wump. Horrified, I ran over to him thinking that I will probably have to run him to emergency but as I got up to him he bounded out of reach and looked back at me like, "Gee mom don't worry so much." I was relieved that he was ok but I still wanted to give him a hug. He allowed that for about 2 seconds then he leapt down to explore some more. Found another tree to climb but this time he didn't walk out on the branch.

One day he thought of a new dare devil trick as he was sitting on the corner of a table near the sliding glass doors. On the other side of the back door was the back porch. I have absolutely no idea why he suddenly chose to jump from the table into the glass door but he hit it with a thump and plop to the ground. He looked at the door, shook his head, jumped up on a chair at the table then quickly to the table to run full tilt and leap straight at the door again. This time while he was sitting their shaking his head he must have come to some conclusion about that endeavor being a waste of time because he then walked away to find something else to do. That was my "Shoe tail" for the day.

MC
MCH

Postby Who dat? on January 4th, 2011, 6:33 am

I'm pleased as punch that Tom answered another question from me. Part of his answer hit close to home:
"No we don't decorate much as seven cats would just assume the decorations were for them."
We put only certain ornaments at the bottom of the tree so Buddy, one of our two cats, can yank them down and bat them around on the floor to all rooms of the house. He just loves it. We put them back and the next day he has them all down and we get to search for them. Lola, the female, just snuggles up under the tree in the stand skirt and sleeps.
Doctor: "I'm Lord President, and I'm called sir."
Who dat?

Previous

Return to About Tom’s Newsletters and Answers to Questions