Time Gentlemen! To Begin To Discuss Oct Queries

Here you are invited to discuss Tom's answers to questions in the Question Room and talk about his newsletters.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Time Gentlemen! To Begin To Discuss Oct Queries

Postby The Cloaked One on November 1st, 2010, 4:52 pm

I cannot say that Tom's answer to my question was unexpected, considering questions I have asked him before, still a bit disheartening, that's all.
Thank you Tom, for answering my question this month.
Si-Fy and Fantasy, that is where my heart lies. To Doctor Who and its 18 years of brilliance, still waiting on the 50 yr anniversary!
The Cloaked One

Postby Graceful Leonard on November 1st, 2010, 5:51 pm

The Cloaked One wrote:I cannot say that Tom's answer to my question was unexpected, considering questions I have asked him before, still a bit disheartening, that's all.
Thank you Tom, for answering my question this month.

It's just my opinion, of course, but I don't like the idea of any doctors doing fan productions...unless they could be done to at least the same standards as the official show.

That isn't to say that such productions can't be good -- but I think they would work better in exploring and expanding upon parts of the Doctor Who universe that the official show doesn't touch. Failing that, won't they always just seem like a watered-down version of the real thing?

I'm certainly not that knowledgeable about fan works; I'm just going by what I little I've seen of stuff not done via the BBC.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby tracy on November 1st, 2010, 7:04 pm

:D i love the rest of the answers tom has given for october and thank you tom for answering mine again great answer tom gave me
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby The Cloaked One on November 1st, 2010, 10:18 pm

Can't post direct links.
But type in The Web of Fear Trailer. It's the first video by TardisTimegirl. All of her videos are amazing. If you have time, there's also the awesome Curse of Fatal Death by Moffat.
All novels done by Virgin Novels are also considered fan works. Pretty much anything Doctor Who outside the Classic and new series and the movie.
As for myself, I'm working on simple cartoon animations. Not the best art. I'm checking to see what is available to me, as well as others who are interested. Tom Baker is a busy man, of course, and I am just a fan among thousands. From his answer, it wouldn't matter what he thinks of the material, as long as it is not BBC cannon he won't be part of it. I seriously doubt anything I ever produce will be BBC cannon mainly because of the new direction of the series. I am more focused on the roots, or in a sense returning to the roots of the series.
Hope that clears things up a bit.
Si-Fy and Fantasy, that is where my heart lies. To Doctor Who and its 18 years of brilliance, still waiting on the 50 yr anniversary!
The Cloaked One

Postby Graceful Leonard on November 2nd, 2010, 12:17 pm

The Cloaked One wrote:Can't post direct links.
But type in The Web of Fear Trailer. It's the first video by TardisTimegirl. All of her videos are amazing. If you have time, there's also the awesome Curse of Fatal Death by Moffat.
All novels done by Virgin Novels are also considered fan works. Pretty much anything Doctor Who outside the Classic and new series and the movie.
As for myself, I'm working on simple cartoon animations. Not the best art. I'm checking to see what is available to me, as well as others who are interested. Tom Baker is a busy man, of course, and I am just a fan among thousands. From his answer, it wouldn't matter what he thinks of the material, as long as it is not BBC cannon he won't be part of it. I seriously doubt anything I ever produce will be BBC cannon mainly because of the new direction of the series. I am more focused on the roots, or in a sense returning to the roots of the series.
Hope that clears things up a bit.

Thanks for that. Perhaps part of the difficulty is that the term 'fan works' takes in such a wide range, with quality varying from the professional to hobbyist. I've had a quick look at some of those you've mentioned, and there is clearly a high level of quality out there. Perhaps people doing this work could approach the BBC in an effort to have it officially endorsed? I have no idea how that would work, or if it's even possible. Just a thought.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby The Cloaked One on November 2nd, 2010, 8:51 pm

Doctor Who is an interesting case. While the series is indeed copyright to the BBC, it is not an enforced copyright. After the series was canceled, Virgin Publishing's New Adventures started in continuation of the series. Several prominent books, such as Lungbarrow, came out during this time. However, when the movie was made in 1996, Virgin Publishing lost its licensing. Then began the production of Eighth Doctor stories and currently a lot of the novels focus on characters other than the Doctor and companions except for rare cameos under Big Finish.
All of these novels, however, are non canon and the new series has at times made episodes that outright contradict the novels to viewers' disbelief (so I hear). There have been, on occasion, references and re-adaptions of novels to the new show such as Human Nature.

With Nu Who, all of the writers are fans of the series. Some were even writers of the aforementioned novels and did other such audio works. However, they have their own agenda and vision for the show. I could submit scripts but I face two big problems: 1. I'm going the opposite direction the series is heading right now. 2. I'm American.
While the Eighth doctor was indeed American, Doctor Who is a British show and is culturally British which is good (American Who has a bad ring to it, as did Red Dwarf USA). I would have to come up with a very amazing script at the very least. Though it is interesting that the series itself will be visiting America for the first time with the Eleventh Doctor next season. Robert Holmes had wanted to during the Sixth's run, but the plans fell through.

All in all, although BBC has copyright to Doctor Who, the cancellation brought about a bunch of books written by the fans which do infringe upon the BBC rights. However, the BBC has turned a blind eye to it, not liking to sue its own fans. There are exceptions, of course, but the BBC works hard to leave its fans in peace. In order to express my ideas, I would be best to work independently and see how the people, and BBC react in turn. If they like my ideas, hey, they can have them. It's not like I've got any rights to anything I could make. My goal is to make inspiring stories. Bring out new ideas. Doctor Who has been a very inventive and creative series, and I would like to contribute and bring new life to it.
The Cloaked One

Postby Graceful Leonard on November 3rd, 2010, 4:46 pm

The Cloaked One wrote:I would be best to work independently and see how the people, and BBC react in turn. If they like my ideas, hey, they can have them.

Best of luck with that, and you never know!
Graceful Leonard

Previous

Return to About Tom’s Newsletters and Answers to Questions