The Official Discussion Topic for Tom Q&A September 2010

Here you are invited to discuss Tom's answers to questions in the Question Room and talk about his newsletters.

Moderator: Moderator

The Official Discussion Topic for Tom Q&A September 2010

Postby Moderator on September 6th, 2010, 10:26 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dear Forum Posters and Posers (both Newbies and Old) -

After reading British person, Jillx query; knew it was time to get this little custom going again for September.

Nearly fell out of my computer chair with the reading of that one. Well bowled Missy Jillx! Can hardly wait for the answer to that one. 8-)

Best,
Dirk :ugeek:

Re: The Official Discussion Topic for Tom Q&A September 2010

Postby Marcello Cristiano on September 7th, 2010, 2:38 am

Agreed! IT IS FUNNY! :lol: Although Brits aren't the only ones with "Bad Teeth". I'm Italian(obviously) with a set of crooked choppers. I once got called "Jaws" by a bully. :D He didn't mean the James Bond character(as that would require me getting braces), he meant the shark! :mrgreen:
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby tracy on September 7th, 2010, 10:17 am

wow whata question not all brits have bad teeth id like to see toms reply to that one though
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Graceful Leonard on September 7th, 2010, 4:43 pm

tracy wrote:wow whata question not all brits have bad teeth id like to see toms reply to that one though

I have to say I find that question pretty offensive, though I'm sure it wasn't intended to be. It would be like asking whether all Americans are grossly overweight or like the people who appear on Jerry Springer (which of course they aren't).
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby Moderator on September 8th, 2010, 2:25 pm

Dear Graceful Leonard -

As it was asked by a Brit to a Brit, and to a Brit who is a very keen people watcher, I am sure there was no mean intent. Just an idle curiousity as to how Tom would reply to a very old stereotype. And as Tom's choppers are nearly the perfect ideal, Jillx may be curious about the why of them too, with him being so very English; how did he avoid, so very successfullty, "our plague?"

Best,

Postby pattie anne on September 8th, 2010, 3:03 pm

dear G. L -

find myself agreeing totally with dirk.

and as for your statement about americans, (as i are one) we ARE the most obsessive/compulsive people on earth RE weight. though, also true, we do have a way too high percentage of people WHO are obese in this country. and as our young population ages their problems RE their extreme "overweightness" is only bound to (ahem) increase. we also have people in america WHO are fat and don't care that they are. and finally, there is the group WHO spend BILLIONS of dollars a year on diets and devices to NOT become fat. so of course america's problem with increasing bulk will automatically become the bread and butter (sorry about THAT one) of comics and jesters world-wide. as americans we just have to get thick skinned about it. which by-in-large (there i go again), is what i believe the british have done with their "bad teeth" stereotype.

best,
pattie anne :geek:

PS: and on a very personal note, i am about 30 pounds over-weight myself, and my husband is about one hundred pounds over what he should weigh, and we diet and exercise all the TIME. so don't make any jokes about our size ... or we will sit on you. ;)

P. A.

2PS: and as another idle curiosity ... do you folks in G.B. have fluoridated water?

P.
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby Graceful Leonard on September 8th, 2010, 5:31 pm

Moderator wrote:As it was asked by a Brit to a Brit,

Jillx's location is Florida--I didn't realise they were British, that does put a different complexion on it.

Moderator wrote:Just an idle curiousity as to how Tom would reply to a very old stereotype.

The fact that is an old stereotype is the problem I have with it. I have heard similar comments expressed often by Americans about the British, and I think it is at best impolite.

All this being said, the question is of course for Tom, not me. I'm just expressing my opinion since we're discussing the Sept questions.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby Moderator on September 8th, 2010, 6:03 pm

Dear Graceful Leonard -

As you have a right to, too. :P But yes, Jillx (thought I believe she is "Americanized" by now) was born here, a long, long, long, long time ago. ;)

Dear Pattie Anne -

Ah, yes, that is another can of worms altogether. Pehaps your curiosity will be satisfied by googling that subject. But I do know that it has been a hot political topic here for decades. Some folks even viewing it as a commie plot to poison all capitalists. But last I knew about it, only about 10% of England's population has fluoridated water. (There is little to none in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.) So have fun with your research!

Best,

Postby Gold Usher on September 11th, 2010, 12:06 am

Hahahaha! That's a good one.

Jill.... 'Americanized' :lol:

Trust me.... she's not.

She still has the soft spoken English accent and that fresh English innocence that can beguile.
And Doctor Partner always admires her legs....but don't tell her that ;)

I did view a program on English dentistry that aired on BBC a couple of years ago. There were a few people featured that 'did their own' waving a favored pair of pliers off the tool bench. *shudders*
Gold Usher

Postby pattie anne on September 14th, 2010, 6:05 pm

well, at least we know now TOM knows of at least ONE brit WHO had bad teeth. :lol:

great dodge FAVE! ;)

oh yes, and RE TOM's answer about the stamp centre. back when i was sending them requests, and letters, and cards ... i held fast to three rules:

1) always included a self addressed envelope (big enough to house ALL the return goodies) AND an international exchange coupon for my RETURN postage

2) bought something from them, for their kindnesses extended to me. (though i think maybe i did send a couple of greeting cards to TOM and Sue without actually purchasing anything [as i wasn't asking that anything be returned to me])

3) thanked them

love,
pattie anne :geek:
Last edited by pattie anne on September 15th, 2010, 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Next

Return to About Tom’s Newsletters and Answers to Questions