Discussion Thread for Tom's Answers in July 2010

Here you are invited to discuss Tom's answers to questions in the Question Room and talk about his newsletters.

Moderator: Moderator

Discussion Thread for Tom's Answers in July 2010

Postby biddenden_sue on July 12th, 2010, 4:44 pm

Well, as many of you will no doubt be aware, Tom has once more started to respond to our enquiries and inquisitions in the Question Room.

So please, feel free to discuss the answer he gave you or anyone else here in this thread.

I wondered where else in the world Tom might relocate to if he could no longer stay at home, and I half expected his answer. He wouldn't budge. I can understand that. I almost offered the alternative suggestion of his own personal submarine so that he could remain "on the spot" so to speak. Just big enough for Sue, the dogs and cats as well of course!

Looks like that would have been the option he'd have gone for! :mrgreen:

And it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that he has eaten in Ye Maydes restaurant in Biddenden High Street, as it is superb, and has been for many many years. I have eaten there many times - now I wonder if I've ever sat at the same table as Tom, or maybe even in the same chair? ;)
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. Douglas Adams.
biddenden_sue

Re: Discussion Thread for Tom's Answers in July 2010

Postby tracy on July 12th, 2010, 5:09 pm

:D once again thank you tom for answering my question for this month. very interesting answers to all the questions.if ever im in biddenden again i will have to try out the italian restraunt that tom mentioned and take biddenden sue with me too
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Moderator on July 13th, 2010, 5:16 pm

Dear Posters and Posers -

Glad to see so many people, especially our newbies, jumping off into the fray, and asking Tom questions in our Question & Answer Forum. Generally, your questions are very well thought out and interesting. But one CAVEAT (warning!), our rules state that you are permitted to ask Tom one question, in your one post, each month. We have given members some leeway in this because we don’t want to be too strict, but the guidelines – or rules – are there for a reason and we need to revisit them.

Many of you thank Tom for answering your questions and show how much you appreciate the time and thought he spends on them. However, we thought we should ask Tom for his own feedback on the Question & Answer Forum as we have noticed that some questions are beginning to take the form of little letters and are asking for personal advice.

We MODS wanted to know how Tom felt about this, and as we suspected, he had noticed it, too. As a result, he has asked if members could make their questions more concise. Some members are very good at this already, but he has noticed that others are slipping in more than one question, jokes and also personal information which is sometimes really not relevant to the question. It takes him quite a bit of time to read through and answer 30 questions a month and this is not the place for serious essays on his opinions – it’s more about the fun and entertainment of chat (but no jokes, please) around Tom’s dinner table.

It’s very difficult to make hard and fast rules, as there always seems to be some sort of exception. But the important thing for members to keep in mind, as you ask your questions, is not to overwhelm Tom with detail and personal information, which adds to the time that it takes him to read, and actually find the real question being asked! So, conciseness is THE KEY TO what Tom is looking for this TIME!

Have you any other questions or comments on anything I have put in this Post? Please feel free to respond to Dirk right here in this Topic. Or if you prefer, PM me.

If you need help in modifying your Question Post, I can do that too, remember I am a MOD.

So, any way I can be of service, please just let me know. I am here first and foremost to help any and all the Members of Tom.

Best,
Dirk :ugeek:

Postby tracy on July 13th, 2010, 5:48 pm

ok dirk thank you for letting us know
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Moderator on July 13th, 2010, 6:10 pm

Dear Tracy -

No problem. We just felt, here at Tom Baker's Official Forum, that somethings just needed to be said (and re-stated) as we do have all these newbies running about the place. (Which by-in-large is a good thing for a Forum. But it does tend to keep the MODS on their toes.) ;)

Best,

Postby biddenden_sue on July 13th, 2010, 6:55 pm

Message received and understood, Mr Gently, SIR! ;)

We are maybe starting to take Tom's generosity a little for granted, and should slap ourselves on the wrist before it gets out of hand. Consider my wrist slapped. In the nicest possible way, of course. :)
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. Douglas Adams.
biddenden_sue

Postby mikotyk on July 13th, 2010, 10:28 pm

Not a problem at all. I can do that.

Mike
Someday, my ship will come in, but with my luck, I'll be stranded at the airport!
mikotyk

Postby pattie anne on July 13th, 2010, 10:46 pm

dear all -

am sure dirk wasn't talking to everyone ... just the ones WHO maybe got a little bit STAR STRUCK with a REAL LIVE celebrity ... answering REAL LIVE questions; and then them going of the deep end. :?

but then again, maybe we all can do better at just sticking to the question at hand, without all the extra goodies thrown in. :shock:

never thought that much about how much TIME HE was having to spend in just the reading of 30 questions, let alone in the answering of them. :?

sorry FAVE. :oops:

will try to do better mr dirk, sir. CONCISE is the word for today, sir. may we get back to the discussion of the lastest crop of Baker Answers now, sir? :|

pattie anne
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby Moderator on July 14th, 2010, 12:13 am

Dear Pattie -

Oh, I suppose, if you must. ;)

Best,

Postby pattie anne on July 14th, 2010, 12:25 am

gee, someone asked HIM HIS height. and i was waiting for HIM to say: "6 and 3/4 inches" ... just measure me from your TV screen! :lol:

but HE was much kinder than i think i would have been. ;)
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Next

Return to About Tom’s Newsletters and Answers to Questions