Discussion Thread for Tom's Answers in July 2010

Here you are invited to discuss Tom's answers to questions in the Question Room and talk about his newsletters.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Discussion Thread for Tom's Answers in July 2010

Postby Gold Usher on July 21st, 2010, 3:10 am

Got my vote on that revised reading of Genesis. I'd love to hear what he'd do with it. Even if he read it 'straight' I'd be pleased to listen. I don't know exactly where the 'begats' fall but I'm sure reciting that lineage would encourage a few side comments about living to a 'ripe old age'. But then people didn't bathe as much did they....so they could be rather 'ripe'.
Gold Usher

jokes in the bible

Postby haglered on July 23rd, 2010, 4:50 am

I read Tom's post in which Tom bemoaned the lack of humor in the bible.

(I love the KJV translation-it is the only one I trust) There is a lot of humor in the bible.

God Laughed at mankind when he was building the tower of bable

Gen 11:7 "go to" was mocking mandkinds attempt to build it to heaven

Numbers chapter 22 Balaam's mule is a very humorus story

1 kings 22 Micha the prophet made fun of the false prophets in his accusation they were lying.

Luke 22:38 Jesus told his disciples to get ready for persecustion and to buy a sword. They said here are 2 swords. Jesus replied it is enough. I have to believe he was smiling (laughing to himself) 2 swords in the face of what was comming was a comedic notion. Jesus wasn't talking about using swords to advance his kingdom but telling them to prepare for troubles.

There are other places in the bible where there is humor. God can be very humorus when he wants to be.
haglered

Postby mikotyk on July 23rd, 2010, 4:28 pm

I believe God does have a sense of humor; at least he has shown it in my life ;) but if you ask my mother in law God doesn't find anything funny :evil: . Oh well. One should take life as it comes I guess.

Has anyone ever heard comedian Robin Williams' joke about God and the platypus? When God (who apparently was stoned) decided to create the platypus, His Greatness said, "Okay, I'll take a beaver and put a duck's bill on it. Now ... it's a mammal but it lays eggs. Figure that one out Darwin." LOL :lol:
Someday, my ship will come in, but with my luck, I'll be stranded at the airport!
mikotyk

Postby donnarose on July 23rd, 2010, 4:46 pm

I would agree with GoldUsher that hearing Mr. Baker read a revised version or another version on the book of Genesis would be interesting.

And I also agree with Mike and haglered that God has a sense of humour. With some of the things I've seen happen in my life I cannot believe that He doesn't. :)

That being said, I wonder if Mr. Baker would go beyond the book of Genesis and record other Old Testament or New Testament stories.

I can just imagine what God had to say about the Israelites wandering around in the desert for 40 years when the journey should've taken only about 11 days. It would be like God sitting up there saying, "When will y'all ever get it?" ;)

Of course, this is spoken in a tone of compassion towards His creation, yet with some of that humor thrown in as well. :)

I am reminded of a movie from 1977 starring the late George Burns as God. It was called "Oh, God!" and Mr. Burns was very good in the role. He portrayed God as really having few words to say, but boy when he said them, they made you stop and think.
Love begins when the needs of someone else become more important than your own.
~Lao Wei
donnarose

Postby Moderator on July 24th, 2010, 4:06 pm

Dear Mouser -

Great question. We all know what the Doctor had in his trans-dimentional pockets. Will be interesting to find out what Tom has in his very normal ones.

Best,
Dirk :ugeek:

Postby Gold Usher on July 24th, 2010, 11:59 pm

Ahhh Mouser! Yes, great question about "what's in his pockets" You've been reading Tolkien again?

I remember how long it took for Wombat to read the list of what was in the Doctor's pockets at that particular Gather...many breaths involved for sure :lol: The folding bicycle raised my eyebrows.
Gold Usher

Postby Mouser on July 26th, 2010, 1:12 am

Thanks Dirk & GU. :D

I remember that question from TV or radio, it just came back to me and seemed appropriate.

Perhaps it was a thread on one of the many Tom Baker forums. Everyone was asked to reveal their pocket contents.

:P

Mouser
Well, my doctorate is purely honorary, and Harry here is only qualified to work on sailors.
Mouser

Postby mikotyk on July 26th, 2010, 11:28 am

donnarose wrote:I am reminded of a movie from 1977 starring the late George Burns as God. It was called "Oh, God!" and Mr. Burns was very good in the role. He portrayed God as really having few words to say, but boy when he said them, they made you stop and think.

George Burns was a brilliant comic. He never said much but when he did he made you laugh (or at least think about why you're laughing). He was a great choice to play the Almighty. The older comics were the absolute best (Abbott & Costello, Laurel & Hardy, The 3 Stooges, George Carlin, Bill Cosby (still alive and kicking), Charlie Chaplin, Danny Kaye, Marty Feldman, Gene Wilder, the entire cast of Monty Python and so many others). Today's comics could (and should) learn from them.

Tom is incredibly funny. If he hadn't played the Doctor, or made films or done stage work, I think that he could have been a very good stand up comedian.
Someday, my ship will come in, but with my luck, I'll be stranded at the airport!
mikotyk

Postby pattie anne on August 6th, 2010, 1:02 am

absolutely fell in LOVE with HIS answer to my question. HEART-HEART-HEART

Mister Baker of the TOM ... you have excelled even yourself!

EXCELLENT! :D AUTHOR! :P BRAVO! :mrgreen:

thank you for a very special memory i never shall NEVER, EVER forget! KISSES- KISSES- KISSES

love,
pattie anne

PS: and I liked it a lot too. ;)

p a

2PS: you don't think i have OVER-GUSHED do you? :lol:

p
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby Moderator on August 6th, 2010, 2:30 pm

Dear Pattie -

Probably. :mrgreen: But after nearly thirty years of your FANNISH enthusiasm, Tom is probably rather use to it. :lol: As I suspect, he knows your heart. 8-)

Best,
Dirk :ugeek:

Previous

Return to About Tom’s Newsletters and Answers to Questions