For The Beauty Of The Earth

Here you are invited to post your own pictures if you own the copyright.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Only post pictures if you own the copyright.
Maximum size 500 X 500 pixels 72 dpi.
Maximum 2 pictures per post.

Re: For The Beauty Of The Earth

Postby MCH on March 22nd, 2011, 3:03 am

Jaybee,

Just think on it as winters last gasp. Soon you'll see things in bloom and get allergy head like I am, lol. Not to mention potting soil hands. One day I might learn to use gloves. ;)

I like your picture. Too bad it makes you feel low down and chilly at heart. The best I can do for ya is say, think green ! :mrgreen: and think of lying out on a warm sandy beach watching the waves and wigglin' yer toes in the sand. Maybe build a sand castle or two. or just dig a hole to see what's down there. China maybe ?

Watch the sea gulls do flyovers for scraps that people leave for them. And enjoy the aerial finess of the pelicans as they glide efortlessly just above a cresting wave, or spin into a short dive to then drop beak first into the sea only to bob back up with a fish in it's gullet.

Or perhaps watching the sailboats glide by with their crisp triangular sails catching both sun and wind. Maybe you'll catch a glimpse of a colorful para sailer/boarder hopping and whirling along the coastline.

Or, there is always just relaxing on the porch with a drink and good book, lol. Or IPAD.

MCH
MCH

Postby jaybee on March 22nd, 2011, 4:00 am

Well, MCH, I am going to be going to Wilmington, NC in just under 3 weeks. Plan on doing pretty much everything you suggested in your middle two paragraphs. And eating, of course. Can't get deep fried oysters up here. Or banana pudding. Or hush puppies.

It's a nice driving trip in April because we get to see, as we go further south, where spring is (usually in southern Pennsylvania, out of the mountains). Mind you, coming back can be a bit depressing as you leave spring and get back into the period between winter and spring. But at least then, we've seen spring, and know it's on its way.
jaybee

Postby MCH on March 29th, 2011, 1:00 am

Happy Spring everyone !

This is a picture of a Tulip Magnolia that is in our front yard. :D

This is a picture I took this past Sunday at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. It was a warm and beautiful day. A mocking bird was singing in a tree near by and the air was full of sweet smells and pollen, lol. Good thing our cars are yellow or they would be yellow with all this pollen about. So, I hope you enjoy this taste of spring!

Regards,
MCH
Last edited by MCH on November 28th, 2011, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MCH

Postby tracy on March 29th, 2011, 9:16 am

:D i love the tulip magnolia thats beautifull and the other photo you took mch is lovley .thanks for sharing hope your back is ok now
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby MCH on March 29th, 2011, 1:35 pm

Dear Tracy,

My back is fine thank you. As I was lying on the ground it was rather interesting seeing things around me from a different perspective. My furry boy Zachary came up to see if I was ok and I landed up taking pictures of him from ground level. I took pictures of other flowering plants nearby then had the daunting task of getting up and out of wear I was. Did I say up and out? It should have been out and up.

You see, when I fell I also slid down hill and up under a plant called Mahonia Beali. The Mahonia has large leaves with Holly leaf type prickles around the edge. Also the ground there was steep and slick with leaf litter and the soft spring ground, so it was hard to gain purchase enough to try and stand. But just standing up there was impossible because of the numerous little spikes from the Mahonia leaves. So, I had to wiggle up the hill like a trout in a shallow stream still holding my camera safely aloft mind you.

I finally cleared the Mahonis grasp but found that I still couldn't stand up because every time I tried to set my feet to stand up the ground would slide away. " sigh". By this time I was wondering how long this ordeal was going to last. As I lie there unable to get out of mother natures clutches I couldn't help but be amaised at how easy I was captured by her. She just dangled some pretty flowers over a trap and waited patiently for some durned fool to come by to have a close look, lol.

I resigned myself to my fate and lay there like a wet noodle. Spent a few moments mesmerized by the beautiful assure spring sky. When a hopeful sound whispered in my ear. I turned over to have a look and was so happy when my husband came into view! He asked me what I was doing, lol. I told him that I was taking pictures but was finished now so could he please hold my camera so I could get myself out.

He leaned way over to grab the camera that I held aloft. It was like a seen from the news where in some sort of disaster precious things are precariously nabbed by the rescuer and taken to safety. Only after my camera was hauled safely away I was left with getting myself out by myself. It wouldn't do to have both of us caught in the trap. But now that I had full use of both arms I was able slowly to gain purchase and stand upright. I took some last tentative steps and was safely on the concrete driveway. Yay, I made it! Sorry Mother nature but you'll have to set another trap for someone else. Unfortunately I'm not the brightest bulb so I'll probably get caught again some time. I don't think she wants to kill me though, I think she just likes to play with me once and a while. But OY she can play rough!

MCH
MCH

Postby tracy on March 29th, 2011, 3:02 pm

well you just be carefull the next time .its a shame you cant get rid of the prickerly stuff
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby MCH on March 29th, 2011, 3:33 pm

Thanks Tracy for you concern. I do try and be careful in my outdoor adventures, lol.

Oh I'd never get rid of the Mahonia. It has beautiful evergreen leaves and blooms in late winter and early spring giving the honey bees something to eat. The flowers are a pretty yellow. Later it gets big pretty purple berries that birds love to eat. And as the birds discard the seeds from their bums I get new little plants all through the wooded yard. I often give friends, family or neighbors some of the baby plants.

Now I have another plant called a Tri-foliate Orange that has very wicked nasty thorns that Stab in deep and hurt a lot. But again I love it because of the sweet smelling orange blossoms and the small but pretty orange fruit. The fruit however is bitter and apart from some people making jellies it isn't a very valuable fruit tree/shrub. A neighbor of mine once took some branches and made a crown of thorns for his church.

MCH
MCH

Postby tracy on March 30th, 2011, 10:07 am

:D your welcome
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby MCH on April 1st, 2011, 7:26 pm

While at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens we visited the Orchid house. That is where this picture was taken.

Although I took this picture of Wisteria at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens it is blooming wild all over the place here in Georgia. All that beautiful purple cascading over trees looks like something from a fairy tail. The dogwoods are in full bloom and the azaleas are getting started. It is sad that many dogwoods are dying off in our area due to a disease.

I hope that you all enjoy the spring colors!

MCH
MCH

Postby tracy on April 17th, 2011, 3:45 pm

here is one of the flowers that has come out its beautifull the one on the left hand is called a aubrieta dont know what the other is called cant find the labal

and this one is azalea
tracy with out the E
tracy

PreviousNext

Return to Wildlife and nature