All Creatures Great and Small

Here you are invited to post your own pictures if you own the copyright.

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Only post pictures if you own the copyright.
Maximum size 500 X 500 pixels 72 dpi.
Maximum 2 pictures per post.

Re: All Creatures Great and Small

Postby MCH on April 14th, 2011, 3:51 am

Clara,

Thanks for your comments. :D In regards to the flash, it is easy enough to press the button to activate it, but it isn't easy to remember that I have on, lol. Especially when I didn't recall turning it on. But when I'm taking pictures I'm so focused on getting the shot that I forget to check things like the flash. Yes, even when the flash door is popped up and right in my face. :?

My camera is a Sony dslr 550. I'm always having to think about the settings for the light conditions, shutter speeds, iso's, whether or not I have the flash set on fl or wl, and if the subject is in focus. My eyes aren't what they used to be so sometimes I can't tell if my subject is properly focused. I even use the eye piece instead of the LCD screen so that I can see better. I try to make adjustments as I go but that usually gets me into trouble, lol. There is so much to learn about this camera that I've only had since last September.

I was so bummed about how my heron pictures turned out. Fortunately, I had my camera set to take raw image files as well as jpg. My hubby has a computer program that is used with raw files so that it can save some of them. Still, I like a good shot without having to tweak it. Makes me feel like I've accomplished something.

As we were driving around the lake we saw a black vulture standing in a tree. We turned around to get a picture but when we passed the spot we couldn't see it. So we turned around yet again and continued our journey. To my surprise I saw it just in time to stop the car. It had dropped to the ground to snack on an opossum. I got a few pictures after it had flown back in a tree nearby. I didn't have long to take some shots as some cars came up behind us. The trials of photographing wildlife! Sometimes there never seems to be a good spot to be to get a good shot. I saw so many coots on the water but there was no place to stop. And so often I see a good shot but by the time I see it the moment is gone.

When we first stopped at the site where the geese and heron was there was a heron that flew up and landed on a pine tree branch. I took pictures as I slowly walked towards the tree to get even closer. But that pesky telephoto lens makes it hard to focus on exactly what I want it to. The shots are ok but not what I wanted. Still, that's the first time that I have seen a heron standing on a branch that close up. It was really cool. And there was some bignonia vine on that tree that had beautiful yellow and red trumpet shaped flowers on it. I didn't see the vine until I saw the picture file on the computer. It never ceases to amaze me what the camera picks up that I don't see.

MCH
MCH

Postby Clara Listensprechen on April 14th, 2011, 4:59 am

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby tracy on May 28th, 2011, 10:43 am

i could have sworn id put this on here early on .any way here is a black bird with some apple we put out every morning for them besides other little things to they love it
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby MCH on May 28th, 2011, 1:09 pm

Do I see those new patio lights too? Are they working ok? I like how you have them placed. How long have you been putting treats out for the black birds? Nice picture there. Thanks for sharing it. :D

Clara, I saw some some goldfinches on our sock thistle feeder the other day. The light level was too low for any good shots. I'm hoping to get some pictures but... Well, you know, lol.
MCH
MCH

Postby tracy on May 28th, 2011, 3:25 pm

here are the lights all lit up but they are just 1 color but they are nice you can see a light with a orange color further down the garden thats the owl ive had for some time .we have been putting stuff out for the birds for a long time .further on down the garden there are things hanging up for the other birds to .its lovley to watch them they have a bird bath to so they can drink or wash in it .thanks mch
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Clara Listensprechen on May 28th, 2011, 9:51 pm

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby tracy on May 29th, 2011, 9:47 am

yes thank you clara the birds do have plenty of drinking water further over near the other side there is a bird table for drinking and bathing it is cleaned and fresh water all the time
tracy with out the E
tracy

Previous

Return to Wildlife and nature