Meeting Tom at Time Quest 2 - March 2010

In this section you are invited to post your own pictures of yourself and/or family members with Tom, taken at conventions or wherever you may have met him. Talk about them, too!

Moderator: Moderator

Forum rules
Only post pictures if you own the copyright.
Maximum size 500 X 500 pixels 72 dpi.
Maximum 2 pictures per post.

Re: Meeting Tom at Time Quest 2 - March 2010

Postby Bob Mitsch on March 31st, 2010, 6:44 pm

Dirk, Tracy - thanks for the welcome.

F Mod - Sorry to break the rules. Thanks for letting it slide this one time. On a related note- in accordance with the rules the link to my post about Time Quest and meeting Tom is now removed. But if anyone still wants to read about my experience meeting Tom, I can reproduce the highlights in text if you want. If anyone wants to read about my entire experience at Time Quest and seeing several Dr. Who London locations then just go to livejournal in the dw_cosplay community and look up my entries on March 23rd (locations), and March 25th (Time Quest - 2 entries).

Marcello - Thanks. I'm flattered- even though I know a little facial expression and lot of of a good costume is doing most of the work for me. Between the KTEH segments and that Comic Con DVD special I've been getting a lot of recognition from fans which is cool. It made for an easy ice breaker when I was across the pond. FYI I was also in my '75 Cyberman costume in that Comic Con special later in that segment. They caught my friends and I during the wait for the Planet of the Dead screening.

Toothy Grin - Thanks. And yes I know I don't really look like Tom but I try. Tim Curry is a new one on me, I usually get told I look like Brandon Fraser or Ron Livingston. (minus the Tom Wig of course)

Pattie Anne - I don't really 'belong' to a Dr. Who group exactly. We're not really formal like the 501st Stormtroopers or Gotham Public Works folks. By happy coincidence over the last 5 years or so I've connected with a great group of friends and we all are really into costuming and cosplay as a hobby. I started with the superhero genre, costuming The Greatest American Hero actually. We enjoy representing characters that meant something to us from our childhood (like Tom's Doctor does for me), the thrill of the costume hunt and working out the details of each project. Our focus has usually been to have fun and to bring a 'wardrobe' quality to the costumes so they would not be a 'costume' per se, but as close to what was worn on set as possible. We started with a retro Super Friends- Style group and moved into doing Star Trek TOS group. I'm really the primary Dr. Who fanboy and Who organizer among us. I got our Doctors group going by responding to a challenge a friend made in 2007 that I wouldn't be able to costume all 10 Doctors at once. We only made eight Doctors for the '07 Comic Con but we got all 10 for SDCC '08 and Gally '09. I've added the 11th since then of course :) We're a fun bunch and we enjoy having a little moment of playing dress up while keeping the spirit of these characters alive for the fans. Aside from various Who costume upgrades, I'm looking into finally doing the 1941 Captain Marvel and 1957 Zorro next.

I'll end this on posting the last of my Tom pics which was the outtake from the group photo session. Tom cracked me up when I was about to pose and I lost it, doubling over laughing.

Last edited by Bob Mitsch on March 31st, 2010, 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Mitsch

Postby tracy on March 31st, 2010, 6:53 pm

:D ok thanks bob ****
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby pattie anne on April 1st, 2010, 10:55 am

Dear Bob -

Oh, thank you for the clarification. Well, if ever you did become one, you might call yourselves something like Bob's your uncle, and His Grinning Troupe of Exotic and SomeTIME Eccentric Dressers, or just Bob's Eccentrics for short. ;)

Best,
pattie anne :geek:
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby Bob Mitsch on April 1st, 2010, 7:29 pm

Well we briefly considering calling ourselves (only when in Who costume mind you) the Honorary Doctors.

We based that on Tom's line from The Ark in Space 'Well my degree is purely honorary and Harry here is only qualified to work on sailors." But it never got past a discussion stage. I always thought it seemed to project a little pompousness or being 'full of ourselves' to name our group etc.
Bob Mitsch

Postby Brian Sturgill on April 2nd, 2010, 3:24 am

Ah, Bob, great to meet up with you here!
I have so much enjoyed your antics at the Galley One Cons. My 2 young sons enjoyed posing with you, too.

I must say, it would have been very choice to see you meeting up with Tom!

Take care, and keep that wonderful spirit.

- Brian
Brian Sturgill

Postby Mouser on April 3rd, 2010, 1:30 am

REALLY great photos! And I agree with Pattie Anne's objection! The last pic is best. :D

You quoted one of my favorite quotes, good name, too bad it didn't take.

Mouser
Well, my doctorate is purely honorary, and Harry here is only qualified to work on sailors.
Mouser

Postby cat9 on April 5th, 2010, 4:11 am

The funny thing is I saw you at Time Quest and didn't realise who you were. I'd travelled from Sydney for the event as part of a UK trip and I'm actually expecting one of the Sylv jumpers you got made any day now. So instead of being able to say Hi in person I'll now wave and say Hi from Sydney

Great Tom pics btw , I love how the guests are crowded around you. Brilliant
cat9

Location: Hanging out with Marwood, drinking red wine and quoting Withnail

Postby Bob Mitsch on April 6th, 2010, 2:03 am

hey Cat - I wish I'd known that was you as well- would have been nice to say hello- doubly so to bring you your sweater in person. I hope you enjoy it when you get it. great pics with Tom too btw!

mouser- Yeah that's one of my favorite quotes as well. Again we're not really a formal group so the whole naming thing was just dropped. If we had to use a name I'm sure we'd fall back on that one but you never know.

Brian - hey we've met at Gallifrey? Awesome. Such a great convention. Glad I've spread a little of the old fan spirit around for you and your sons. And yes I have a lot of friends who wished they were there just to see my reactions to meeting Tom Baker. I'm sure I just reverted to being 6 years old for a minute but that happens!
Last edited by Bob Mitsch on April 6th, 2010, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Mitsch

Postby JulietCatherine on April 6th, 2010, 2:19 am

You are so handsome
Juliet
Happy Holidays
Houston Texas USA
JulietCatherine

Postby Bob Mitsch on April 8th, 2010, 1:21 am

Thanks Juliet- you flatter me :)

A couple of shots from Tom's Stage talk