The Welcome Wagon has arrived!

We welcome new members to our forum - and welcome former ones back.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: The Welcome Wagon has arrived!

Postby Moderator on October 3rd, 2010, 2:35 pm

Dear Kirstin -

Welcome! Have fun. Look around. Ask questions. Need any help, just call. :mrgreen:

Dear Tracy -

In the WIG DEPARTMENT just below this Topic. ;)

Best,
Dirk :ugeek:

Postby tracy on October 3rd, 2010, 6:27 pm

:D ok thanks dirk
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Kirstin Hill on October 4th, 2010, 12:46 am

Why hello there. Thank youse for welcoming me already guys. :D

I guess I should tell a little about meself; regrettably, I was born in the 90s, not during Tom's time as the Doctor, but I have been saving money up to buy the DVDs. Fun stuff.
Firstly, I am an artist. I love drawing Doctor Who art, surrealist art, and graphic novels. Crosshatching, oil painting, watercolours and digital are my specialties. :D
I was first formally introduced to Doctor Who in April of this year, starting with Chris Eccleston. After watching the first season of the new series with my dad and my sister, we continued on to the David Tennant seasons, and I went off on my own and found out about the 1st-8th Doctors, and I had a mission to watch them all originally. I found out that this would be next to impossible at the moment, so I went on to facebook and found a "which doctor are you most like" quiz, and more on several other sites. I got the 4th every time so I decided that I'd probably most interested in watching those episodes, so I watched the Robot on a free website, which I doubt was entirely legal. Shame on me.
I instantly fell in love and made it a goal to get all the Tom Baker DVDs because I feel guilty when I watch TV for free on the internet, excluding hulu. Then I had a strong desire to own the scarf, and when I found out how expensive they were on ebay, I asked my mom, who lives all the way across the country in Alaska, to knit me one. When she got to the first tan stripe in two months, I decided to learn how to knit because she had given up. :roll: She didn't even want to knit me one in the first place because she is very averse to the possibility of her daughter being nerdy.
So, yes. I also lived in NYC for a year. Does anybody know about that old TV series Fame? I went to that school for my freshman year. Unfortunately, my dad remarried and they didn't want to stay for me to finish up there so we had to move in the summer... I have issues sometimes and it was really, really hard on me and the only thing keeping me sane was Doctor Who. Seriously. The last thing I drew for LaGuardia HS was an art final where we had to paint one thing 12 times in watercolour, and every single one was Tom as the 4th Doctor. I have them all uploaded on my deviantart account, Yootah.
I became really attached to Doctor Who, especially the 4th, as you can see. Having episodes like the Ark in Space and Genesis of the Daleks helped me through a really rough patch in my life, and having my own scarf is just awesome. It's so snuggly and warm. Unfortunately I can't wear it outside often because I live in Texas, land of the really hot autumns.
Mention this to me
Mention something, mention anything
... and watch the weather change.

-Tool
Kirstin Hill

Location: in my mind. or yours. or perhaps simply the computer? probably just in texas.

Postby Marcello Cristiano on October 4th, 2010, 2:44 am

Dear Kirstin:

I enjoyed reading your bio and how you came to fall in love with TOM's Doctor. He wasn't the first Doctor I saw back in the 1980's, but was the first Doctor I fell in love with. It's thanks to TOM I became a hardcore Whovian.

I enjoyed reading how TOM and Doctor Who have touched your life and how the show has helped you get over some tough times. I find it does the same for me. It really is a cathartic experience every time I sit down to watch the show. It's so uplifting. I find I forget all my troubles and join the Doctor on his adventures.

I share your love of art, Kirstin. I used to draw and paint, but now I mainly make Police Box/TARDIS models out of wood and paint them. I usually draw up blueprints before I start. My favorite subject matter to draw and paint was always people more so than the scenery of the outdoors. Cross hatching is alot of fun! I enjoyed doing it with pen and ink back in high school.

Don't worry about being nerdy, Kirstin. You'll find we all are here at TOM's. Welcome to our TOM devotee club. I too felt nerdy back in high school, but I was always proud of it, and that's how I found myself. You'll find that here at TOM's forum you'll be comfortable in being yourself.

Your mini-bio is intriguing. Here you will no doubt have a bundle of friends. So if you're ever going thru some rough times in the future feel free to chat with us here at TOM's.

Hopefully Texas will cool down soon, so you can wear your TOM scarf outdoors.

I can relate to Doctor Who keeping you sane. I myself have Bi-Polar disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and extreme anxiety and so watching Doctor Who DVD's, listening to audio's, DW music, or reading some of the books always lifts me out of the blues. The WHOniverse, as I like to call it, is very inclusive of people like myself who maybe don't feel accepted by others, or feel lonely. The People here at TOM's wonderful forum always cheer me up and make me feel comfortable in my own skin. This was something I had trouble with in high school back in the 90's. It's always a joy to know I can be myself and be accepted by friends here. You'll find, Kirstin, that you'll make so many friends here that you'll forget all about your troubles. I have no doubt here at TOM's that we are one big family. Glad to meet you, and I look forward to your posts in the near future. HAVE FUN, my new friend! :)

Marcello
:)
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby tracy on October 4th, 2010, 10:05 am

:D you will be ok on here kirstin and yes i remember fame .you take care
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Kirstin Hill on October 5th, 2010, 5:07 am

Thank you everyone for the responses. :D

Dear Marcello Cristiano-

I forget all my troubles as well when I watch Doctor Who, even when I've watched the episode many times before. I've probably watched the Ark In Space 4 times by now. Love love love that episode. I'm even much cheerier when I wear my scarf, though that doesn't happen so often because the school I go to now is a uniform school and they have something against long scarves. Shame on them. It's not like I'm trying to wear jeggings or halter tops.

Awesome, another artist. :D I wish I could make little TARDISes out of wood too, but I don't trust myself with the cutting tools needed just yet, and I don't think my dad is willing to buy said tools.
I love drawing people too. I also like doing still lives, but people have always captivated my interest. It's a shame I didn't learn how to draw faster back in NYC, as that would have been interesting to have been able to draw people on the subways. Certainly some interesting characters there.

Thanks. I'm beginning to feel a lot more comfortable about being nerdy, as I found out that half my new school is nerdy, though mostly computer nerds, of which I am to some extent as well. There's even this one junior who is known school-wide for his Doctor Who obsession, and in science class during labs we tend to act out scenes or generally talk a lot about Doctor Who, and now everybody knows us as those Doctor Who kids. Fun times.
I'm glad to have a forum like this, finally. It's nice to have this little area of awesome to look forward to after grueling hours of school and driver's ed.

Texas has begun to cool down a little bit, we're in the 70s and 80s now. My stepmother says it usually dips down to 60s around halloween, which is perfect because my costume is pretty much 4 layers of clothing counting the scarf. It'll be awesome though.

I think I may have Bi-Polar disorder to some extent as well, and my father's side of the family has a long line of clinical depression-related disorders, and though most of them weren't diagnosed, it's pretty obvious with some of them...
Generally when I'm depressed I have no desire to do anything, and watching movies and TV doesn't usually take a whole lot of effort, so I put in a Doctor Who DVD and at least for an hour-hour and a half I forget that I'm depressed. Usually the best hour-hour and a half of the week. :D
I don't get a whole lot of time to watch Doctor Who and I won't have any audios til my birthday due to lack of money, but when I'm feeling down, I usually draw Doctor Who art. Right now I've got a Tom crosshatching piece in the making which I hope will be done soon because I've been working on it FOREVER. Partly because I have no free time any more, partly because I can't get his right eye drawn correctly for whatever reason.
I'm also so grateful that I was accepted here so fast; most sites I join only people I know in real life greet me, and when I don't know anybody on the site I'm generally ignored. You guys rock. <3

I just noticed the smilies limit too. This might help me get over my smily addiction.
Mention this to me

-Tool
Kirstin Hill

Location: in my mind. or yours. or perhaps simply the computer? probably just in texas.

Postby Marcello Cristiano on October 5th, 2010, 3:22 pm

Dear Kirstin:

WOW! I'd really love to see your TOM BAKER crosshatching artwork. Sounds cool! 8-)

I hope you have a great Halloween! :)

Ark In Space was the very first TOM story I ever saw. I remember being creeped out by the Wirrn :shock: Any kind of giant insect is usually creepy in my books. The story contained one of TOM's/4th Doctor's memorable speechs about humans being "indomitable". Classic and iconic stuff.

Your friend with the Doctor Who obsession sounds cool! 8-) I'm glad you have someone to talk about TOM/Doctor Who at your school. That's something I wish I had in high school.

HAVE FUN!

One of your many new friends,
Marcello
:)
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby donnarose on October 6th, 2010, 1:18 pm

Sorry I'm a bit late on this, but welcome to the forum Kirstin! <waving at you> :D
Love begins when the needs of someone else become more important than your own.
~Lao Wei
donnarose

Postby pattie anne on October 6th, 2010, 5:03 pm

dear kirstin -

me too. welcome! :mrgreen:

i keep forgetting about this place. :oops:

but better late than not at all. ;)

best,
pattie anne :geek:
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby Kirstin Hill on October 7th, 2010, 2:54 am

Thanks y'all. :D
Mention this to me

-Tool
Kirstin Hill

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome