Good evening!

We welcome new members to our forum - and welcome former ones back.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Good evening!

Postby Betty on February 13th, 2014, 9:02 pm

Tom signed my book, and we had a short chat. He was absolutely lovely. It would be great if you could come in September. :-)

I like your new painting. :-) I'm still finding it really amazing that you learned to paint so well in such a short time. True talent.

Twitter is fun when you follow the right people. Let me know what your username is.
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby Ape on February 14th, 2014, 1:34 am

@ Bonnie: Nice to be here, thank you! Working on another one:

I can't imagine how great it was to grow up with the fourth Doctor. Must have been magical. Have you found the new episodes meet expectations?

@ Betty: September is a while off, maybe I can save up! I'm still not sure about that painting, I think the source image was too low quality. I'm happy with the current one though.

I'm attempting to make a new account now, it says start by following five people. I tried finding Pal McGann but there's about six claiming to be the real one! Can I have some suggestions for a good five to start with?
Ape

Postby Betty on February 14th, 2014, 1:52 am

Sure. The real Mr McGann is "pauljmcgann". He's fun. I'm 99% sure that "RealPaulMcGann" is an official account (as opposed to personal account), so maybe worth a follow also. Other good people to follow are: "BriggsNicholas" - Nick Briggs, the voice of the Daleks & Big Finish producer, writer, director. "BarnabyEdwards" - Dalek operator & Big Finish director, writer. "bbcdoctorwho" Doctor Who official account. And you can also follow me: "BarzhDu". ;-)

I very much like your new painting, by the way. :-)
Betty

Postby Ape on February 14th, 2014, 4:02 pm

Right, I'm all set up, I think? Zimloid Spacer? Or would that be ZimloidSpacer. Added you and a handful of others, what do I get up to now?

Thanks once again for the help and also all the ego boosting! Painting's done, doing a new one of Paul today. Then I think I'd better get back into the spirit of things and do some more of Tom. I've been saving my favourite bits from Terror of the Zygons.
Ape

Postby Betty on February 14th, 2014, 6:36 pm

The idea of Twitter is that you read what the people you follow write, then sometimes answer them, other people see your answers and start conversations with you, you end up following some of them, and so on. Plus you can start posting pictures, and hopefully people will share your posts and more people will follow you because they all want to look at your pictures. And so forth. :-)
Betty

Postby Ape on February 14th, 2014, 10:00 pm

Right, so what do I do with @s and #s and trends and whatnot?
Ape

Postby Betty on February 14th, 2014, 10:10 pm

Every profile name is preceded with @. If I start a tweet with @ZimloidSpacer, you'll see it as an interaction. You can then click "reply" and write something back. These are all public, but they only show up directly to people who follow all concerned parties - other people see them when they visit your profile, for example. There are also direct messages, which are private, and you can only send direct messages to people who follow you.

# is how you start a tag. You can make your own tags - it can be anything you want - no spaces or special characters, perhaps except a few. They are clickable and show other tweets containing the same tag. So they're useful when you're talking about something other people are talking about or might be interested in. For example, you could add #DoctorWho when you tweet your paintings, so that people who search for #DoctorWho (there are a few ;-) ) find them. But you could also have some fun with the tags. #RidiculouslyLongWordThatNooneCanPronounce is one of my favourites. ;-)

Trends is what other people talk about. It is quite interesting sometimes. Often, it makes me realise how little I know about pop culture, for example. It's useful, though.
Betty

Postby Betty on February 14th, 2014, 10:15 pm

Another thing, when you mention someone in a tweet (use @ and their profile name) but not start with it, they see it as a mention. It's less evasive, but also less direct, and it can possibly get missed. All your followers get to see that tweet in their timelines, they don't need to be following the other person/people. So it can be sometimes useful when you want to share something with everybody. That's why you can sometimes see people starting their tweet with ".@username". The dot makes it into a mention instead of an interaction.
Betty

Postby Ape on February 15th, 2014, 2:56 pm

Ah, this turned out a bit better!

Thanks for all the help. I'm having some trouble getting the validation email for whatever reason, I'll work on that, but it looks like I can still use it in the meantime.

So I could, say, show that picture to Paul McGann by going @pauljmcgann (link here)?

#hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia!
Ape

Postby tracy on February 15th, 2014, 3:42 pm

lol ape we are the main course no only kidding its just how ive always welcomed new ones and i think tom likes it when we are round the table so to speak which is nice :D
tracy with out the E
tracy

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome