Good evening!

We welcome new members to our forum - and welcome former ones back.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Good evening!

Postby Betty on February 12th, 2014, 1:51 am

I'm going to be 24 in a few days. I think we may be some of the younger people on this forum. About your question, there is a bunch of people who are regularly active on here. There used to be a bit more activity when Mr. Baker was letting people ask him questions. This was discontinued over a year ago, but it might be renewed in the future. Or not. Either way, I think you can still look at the archive - the answers are usually fun. I'm told Tom does look at the forum when he has time, so he might see your pictures of him. :-)
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby Ape on February 12th, 2014, 5:13 am

That's cool, it'll probably be pretty refreshing to be below the average age in an internet community again, it's been a while! I've been looking at some of the answers, Tom seems like such a great man. Love the one regarding planning ahead. It would be so cool if he saw the paintings and even better if he likes them! I hope I get a chance to ask what his favourite episode or scene ways and do a still from that. It'd pretty much make my life. Maybe he could put in a good word to the BBC folks and I could paint for the next annual!

Today's painting is 10 overlooking the rosette nebula, which looks far more like a skull than a rose, but either way you see it it's appropriate for 10, I think.
Ape

Postby Betty on February 12th, 2014, 3:10 pm

I don't think Tom has a favourite scene, because he never really watched himself on TV. But other fans here on the forum do have favourite scenes, so I'm sure you'll find plenty of inspiration. I don't think you don't need anyone to put in a good word for you to anyone - just make sure your paintings can be seen on sites such as Redbubble or possibly DeviantArt - you might need to make better quality photos so you can sell prints through these sites and you might even make a living this way. Then I suggest you start posting links on Twitter and let the crowd spread the news about your talent. (I'm on Twitter, so I can help with that.) I'm sure there are plenty of possibilities in this world for someone like you.

So I wonder, do you get inspiration from photos or do you imagine the pose in your head? Also, are you using acrylics or something else?
Betty

Postby tracy on February 12th, 2014, 4:18 pm

welcome to toms dinner table ape . enjoy hope to see you more often round here ive been here since day 1 .love the pics :D
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby NICHLOAS R on February 12th, 2014, 5:51 pm

"hello ape a young one eh ill be 53 on the 15th march so old enough to be youre dad lol I can just rember the first doctor William hartnall and the others toms more my brothers doctor I like them all what do you like best about the old doctor whos the new ones I have to watch twice as they go so farst now lol. there are good and bad storys like the old doctor whos even matt smith said he cant understand some of the story lines he got what other sci fi stuff do you like ? have you ever watched anything of Gerry Anderson ie thunderbirds captain scarlert joe 90 ufo space 1999 the alien films predator . keep enjoying doctor who I hope you will come to a do and meet some of the stars of doctor who.
NICHLOAS R

Postby Ape on February 12th, 2014, 9:10 pm

Essay!

@ Betty: I've heard he never watched them, but I'm sure there must have been one scene that was particularly fun to film! Fan's favourite scenes also good, once I'm a bit more practised I'll start up a requests thread or something.
Lately I've been trying to spread my stuff around, but a good word never hurts! I know deviantart, had an account a long while back, I should start a new one, good idea. Not heard of redbubble though, what's the gist of it? I'll definitely need better quality photos, for that I need a better quality camera! I'm using a borrowed camera phone at the mo, ha ha. I've been making a bit of pocket money this year selling the odd pet portrait, it'd be sweet to do it full time. Twitter! I'm so behind with all this social media stuff. Where do I start?

Most of the time I pick my favourite episodes, and watch through for a well lit and framed moment, I love how the new series likes lighting with different neon colours in each side with a strong shadow contrast (like in the Matt Smith on), that sort of lighting makes for a great painting. With older ones that have less vividity and contrast, I love working the colours of the image artefacts in! I love pixelation, JPG is the finest impressionist painter of our age. At the moment I'm doing it entirely from screenshots and other photos, I'm not good or confident enough yet to invent realistic shading. I'll add several images together, like the latest David Tennant one, though the whole rose thing was a happy coincidence that I didn't realise until it was almost done! I am indeed using acrylics, I've tried oils but acrylics just seem so much more colourful, and they're easier to layer on top of each other. I've gotten a good picture of 8 ready, I'll be starting shortly!

@ Tracy: Pleasure to meet you, Tracy with no e! Do we dine with Tom or are we the main course? Would that be day one of the forums or day one, 1974? And many thanks!

Lol, I wrote too much. See part 2.
Ape

Postby Ape on February 12th, 2014, 9:11 pm

@ Nick: Who says you're not! Ever meet a sort of bohemian woman on a moonlit night 23 years ago?
Must have been crazy to grow up with the whole lot. Do you remember the transition to colour? Who was it, 3? I caught a few of the episodes on UKTVGold, initially in black and white, and got so used to it that when they suddenly became colour episodes it was a huge shock, like when you miss a step, at first I couldn't figure out what the difference was.

Of the old ones, I love their sincerity! The masterpieces they made with a shoestring budget, and occasionally spotting a monster made from bubble wrap. I love the accents and mannerisms, not to make you feel old but it was all so long ago that it's a genuine slice of history to see how the companions act and speak. I love seeing the Time Lords gradually get more and more diabolical and the Doctor gradually become more experienced and imposing. I love, of Tom's Doctor, the alienness that he brought to the role that has so shaped every performance that followed. I love the moments where you see beneath the human surface, through the eyes or the voice, to some dark, powerful, incomprehensible and alien being. I love being able to lose myself in that fantasy of escape and wonder, as so many have done before. Of the new episodes? I'm enjoying further development of the Doctor and the companions, and how their lives are changed by meeting him, the things and people who are left behind. The companions have always been sort of us, the viewers, and seeing how being whisked away in hat blue box shakes up their lives back home, their families and friends, makes it all that much more real. I love the Empty Child and Blink among others, Moffat had some seriously amazing episodes (not that he doesn't continue to but I'm more of a fan of his earlier work, Clara hasn't grown on me). As always, there's the odd naff storyline or cheesy monster, but as my partner says 'at least it's not an absorbaloff', so it's all good, old or new! Yourself? How do you find the new episodes shape up to the old ones? Having grown up around rapidly improving CGI and prosthetics and a high budget, there's a big difference for me in watching the aliens and explosions of the new series and of the old. Back in the day, how was the suspension of disbelief, was it more real because there was nothing fictional so real to compare it to, or did the bit where the giant robot holds a little Sarah doll stand out just as much? I couldn't stop giggling!

I know what you mean about having to watch it twice, that whole deal was employed really well by some of the episodes, greatly increases their replay value, there's always new things to spot. Loved the whole lot with the Silence in season six for that reason. It's nice to not know what's going on until the end sometimes, when everything clicks together. Some of the recent plots seemed like they were trying to cram too much into a short space IMO, like the whole Doctor's Daughter thing should have been so monumental a plot device that it could have been a finale, at least a two parter, but the whole thing seemed rushed over in five minutes and then brushed under a rug.

I've been living under a bit of a media rock for quite a while, so my list of other sci-fis will be reasonably short (always open to suggestions). Of course I love Torchwood, and am a fan of sci-fi movies like Close Encounter or District 9, or Avatar (it gets a lot of flack for being dances with wolves in space, but I don't care, it's a beautiful way to waste three hours with some lovely aliens!). I've never watched much Star Trek but have seen Galaxy Quest, which is one of the greatest movies ever made. I've seen Species but don't think I've seen any alien/predator ones, except for that new one, what was it? Prometheus? I find I've not really got the patience to get into longer series though. I'm sure I'm missing some super stuff but I get fidgety that it's super stuff that will take 1987651 hours to fully appreciate.

I just about remember Thunderbirds! I think that the last lot to really grow up with those shows were the generation just before mine. I know my reasonably older sister grew up with Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet, but by my time they were consigned to odd timeslots and infrequent showing. Did you know they've remade them? Dunno if they're still doing them, but a while back they rebooted them with CGI. None of the charm of those lovely old puppets! Not exactly gorgeous CGI either.

I most certainly will continue to enjoy Doctor Who! I'd love to meet some Who stars, I wish I had the money to travel. Where are you, likely either the States or UK? When I was younger I went to an exhibition on Brighton pier, no stars there but I did notice that in the scene where the pig ship crashes through Big Ben, you can see all the blobs of glue that hold the Big Ben model together! I've been thinking about coming to some conventions dressed up. I've definitely got a chin to match 11! Or, in an alien costume, it'd be super fun to make one. How many Doctors/companions have you met?
Ape

Postby Betty on February 12th, 2014, 10:47 pm

Essay indeed! :-D If you want me to show you around Twitter, I'll be more than happy to do so. There are some interesting people to follow. I follow a whole bunch of people connected to Doctor Who. As far as I know, Tom doesn't use Twitter, but I really think he should give it a go because I think he would like it.

Do you know that Tom will be at Big Finish Day 5 - a little convention on the 13th of September in Slough. I saw him at Big Finish Day 3 - an unforgettable experience. I was close to fainting the whole time. :-D
Betty

Postby Ape on February 13th, 2014, 6:21 am

Hmm. What do you think of this one? Not sure I'm happy with it... I'll definitely do another one of 8 at any rate. A recent one in the new costume, perhaps.

It'd be great if you'd show me around. I made a half hearted stab at it a while back, followed Stephen Fry and I forget who else, and never touched it again.

I didn't know that! Ah, so frustrating to think so much is going on and I'm stuck here! Did you get to stop and have a chat or just see him?
Ape

Postby bonita4k2p on February 13th, 2014, 8:18 pm

Welcome to the Forum! Your paintings are wonderful! :D

Tom's Doctor is the first one I watched, back in 1983. Then I watched Peter's Doctor and Jon's Doctor and all the others as they came on Television and VHS and later, DVDs. I've been watching Doctor Who since. I've also read many of the novels, and audios.

bonnie
bonita4k2p

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome