Good evening!

We welcome new members to our forum - and welcome former ones back.

Moderator: Moderator

Good evening!

Postby Ape on February 11th, 2014, 8:53 pm

I started watching Doctor Who by chance, at 13, with Christopher Eccleston. It immediately became a huge part of my life, though I ended up missing a chunk with a heavy heart due to lack of a tv and work obligations from 18-21. I'm all caught up on the new episodes now, and doing my best to get through the wonderful old ones, starting of course with the most legendary and iconic of all the Doctors. Everyone has 'their doctor', and while the Doctor of my childhood is 9, the Doctor of my adulthood is 4! I'm loving it all so much. Tom is an amazing Doctor and actor.

After watching the more contemporary Vincent and the Doctor, I've picked up painting, teaching myself how. Of course a lot of the paintings are themed around my favourite show. So, here's 2 of 4! One speed painting [LINK REDACTED, SEE PIC 4] and one that took a couple more hours and is a gift for another fan in the USA [LINK EXPUNGED, SEE PIC 2]

What do you think? Good likeness?

Edit: Links dutifully removed! How do I post pictures?

Edit2: So I have to shrink them to 500 pixels? Testing 1 2 3.

Last edited by Ape on February 12th, 2014, 12:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ape

Re: Good evening!

Postby Betty on February 11th, 2014, 8:59 pm

Wow, the paintings are really good! I'm truly impressed. Thanks for sharing them with us.

(If I could just have one word of advice, links are not permitted on this forum, so you might need to take them down, but the good news is that you should be able to upload the pictures directly onto here, so they show up with the post. :-) )

Do you have a favourite 4th Doctor story?
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby Ape on February 11th, 2014, 10:03 pm

Thank you very much! Glad you like them. I have some of 10 and 11 too but this isn't the time or the place, huh? Ah! My mistake with the links. I was directed here from the Tom Baker website guestbook, to post in the photos section (though it looks to me like there's not an appropriate category for fan art?) How should I put up pictures within the rules?

I don't think I'm far enough in yet to pick a favourite story, but I've certainly got some favourite moments so far! Near the end of Revenge of the Cybermen when Sarah Jane says 'it's good to see you' and the Doctor says 'Is it?' then grins and touches her arm, very touching, I loved his surprise at it. Or the beginning of Terror of the Zygons when the Brigadier pulls the 'people will die if you don't' card and the Doctor pulls his hat over his face with a groan and then has a great big forced and resigned grin, Tom's acting here was what really sold me on him, wonderful.
Ape

Postby Betty on February 11th, 2014, 11:44 pm

I'm not too sure about how to put pictures on here, because it's been ages since I did anything similar. But try adding the img tag (click on the button above the text box) and put the link inside. See if it works - it should display the image.

I have lots of favourite stories. My top favourite is probably The Face Of Evil, but I'm also very fond of Shada. It's a pity it never got finished. (Although Big Finish Productions have made a brilliant audio version of it, but not with Tom.) By the way, do make sure you check out the audios Tom has made with Big Finish Productions. They are really good. I personally love Tom's voice, so it's a really good medium for me.
Betty

Postby Ape on February 12th, 2014, 12:02 am

There we go, think I got it working! Cheers.

I most certainly will check out the audios. Tom has the most marvellous voice. I'm always waiting for his lines, he's a pleasure to listen to. Shame his voice isn't being used for the text to speech phone thing, I had a lot of fun sending doctor messages. Can't wait to get to Face of Evil, I've heard only good things (while avoiding spoilers!). So much to catch up on. I'm glad he had such a long run.
Ape

Postby Betty on February 12th, 2014, 12:27 am

I'm glad to see you managed to get the pictures to show. You're really talented.

Yes, you have a lot to look forward to then. There isn't a single Tom Baker story I wouldn't want to see (or listen to) again. It's all brilliant. Do let us know when you'll have seen them all and we can talk about them some more. :-)
Betty

Postby Ape on February 12th, 2014, 12:59 am

Thanks again! I'm doing another of 10 at the mo. Been painting for a bit over a year and done about 30, in the last week I've been trying to do one per day, leading to three of those paintings (the Matt Smith one is older). I figure if I'm doing one a day I should fill a wall with Doctors! Who's your next favourite Doctor so I can find a good pic to do for tomorrow?
Ape

Postby NICHLOAS R on February 12th, 2014, 1:28 am

"welcome ape like youre pantings nick :D
NICHLOAS R

Postby Betty on February 12th, 2014, 1:37 am

My second favourite Doctor is 8, and I'll be looking forward to your future paintings. :-) I find it extraordinary that you've achieved this level of mastery in just one year. You're really good at it! May I ask how old you are?
Betty

Postby Ape on February 12th, 2014, 1:44 am

'Lo Nick! Good to see a few people about, how active are the forums?

I love 8 too, I was thinking of him next because he's the only other Doctor I'd seen that much of. Loved him in the short recently too. Man ages like a fine wine!

I'm 22 now, just short of 14 when the series started again. I'm glad It came back in time for it to just about be a part of my childhood! Yourself?
Ape

Next

Return to Welcome