Welcome to the Fan Community

We welcome new members to our forum - and welcome former ones back.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Welcome to the Fan Community

Postby tracy on November 12th, 2009, 3:58 pm

:D welcome to the forum kathy have a great time its great to meet you
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby The Cloaked One on November 14th, 2009, 11:39 pm

I completely overlooked this thread when I came here. The last forums I had joined, members were expected to start their own threads for introductions, which quickly add up to a lot of threads, or a sock. It's a pleasure to meet everyone and I look forward to good works.
Si-Fy and Fantasy, that is where my heart lies. To Doctor Who and its 18 years of brilliance, still waiting on the 50 yr anniversary!
The Cloaked One

Postby Jyvette on November 16th, 2009, 12:57 am

Hello~ I neglected posting a reply here. XD Sorry, I get lazy like that. But I'm Jyvette, some call me Jyve. Not my real name, obviously, but preferred name. Pleasure to meet you all and be a part of this forum =D I was sadly cheated out of a childhood of hiding behind sofas, and got into New!Who first, but, my first taste of Classic!Who was with the man of the forum himself and loved him ever since. And YES, I regard him a greater Doctor than Ten/Tennant.

-ducks from Tennant Fangirls-
Jyvette

Postby merlinsseer on November 16th, 2009, 1:01 am

waves hello
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
merlinsseer

Postby John on November 16th, 2009, 3:10 am

Hi Jyvette, it's great to meet you, and even greater to hear that you rate Tom above David! :D
John

Postby pattie anne on November 16th, 2009, 9:36 pm

Well ... IMHO believe MOST of us here rate TOM above everyone on the planet!
Last edited by pattie anne on November 18th, 2009, 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby Mouser on November 18th, 2009, 2:28 am

Hello Tom, everyone I know from all the old forums and everyone new!

I'm 44, from Minnesota USA, and USED to watch Tom's Doctor on PBS. I think I first saw it at 13 or 14 years old.

It is my ambition one day to be a crazy cat lady and I see some of you are already there. :P Possibly even Tom, well, he might just resemble one. :mrgreen:

I always liked Tom's Doc best.

David Tennant is ALMOST as adorable as Tom, and now he's leaving, sniff!

AnyWHO, just stopped by this thread to say hello.

mouser
Well, my doctorate is purely honorary, and Harry here is only qualified to work on sailors.
Mouser

Postby John on November 18th, 2009, 2:54 am

Hi Mouser, it's lovely to meet you. I hope you like it here and I look forward to chatting with you. :D
John

Postby tracy on November 18th, 2009, 10:14 am

mouser its great to see you welcome to the toms forum
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Tom Baker on November 22nd, 2009, 10:01 pm

From my newsletter this month:

When I decided to offer the fans a Forum, I had the idea it would perhaps be like having people around my table at home: a sort of digital dinner party. And, as at a jolly and affectionate meal everybody would feel free and confident enough to chip in on the chat. I imagined that I would learn something about my "Guests", and that I would learn something about myself, which is what happens when people meet and are happy together. We learn more about ourselves by talking and listening to each other around a table. Don't you agree? I hope you do because it's my forum – I mean, my dinner table – and I hope that forum members see it that way, too.

I love listening to the fans of Doctor Who. That is why I do signing sessions and lately commentaries on the old stories. I was with Louise Jameson the other day as we watched The Sun Makers at a studio in Soho. Penant Roberts , the director and Michael Keating were with Louise and me as we enjoyed a story from 33 years ago! It was very good, so good that we sometimes sat in silence and admired the programme. And then the producer would cut in and remind us that he wanted our reactions to seeing ourselves 33 years younger. He also wanted stories from the past. The fans of course do not need reminding about the plots of the stories; they often know more than the actors themselves. But they don't know everything. So we all in turn tried to describe what we remembered from so long ago. Sometimes we got carried away. Sometimes we contradicted each other; and sometimes we were surprised and even amazed at what we heard. It was all such fun. Like a good lunch or a dinner with old friends from long ago; from another world, when we were simply doing a television series that was jolly and very funny sometimes. We had no idea that more than three decades later we would be together in a studio trying to describe it all to our FUTURE fans. How could we know?

And on my forum I hope that the generous, warm and sometimes passionate reactions that Louise and my other friends felt last Thursday would be similarly repeated. The forum is NOT Twitter. It is not FACEBOOK. It is my little dinner party at a table that is much bigger inside than it looks from the outside! I don't like jokes much. I love little stories; I love tall stories, fantastic tales or ideas that are sometimes quite unbelievable but totally entertaining. People often say to me: "Tom, is that true?" And if people are laughing a lot, I often answer: "That is a question you must never ask a storyteller." I'm not talking about malicious lies; intolerable. No, I'm talking about the joy we feel at a good meal with an affectionate host at a feast where no one person dominates, or if he does the affectionate host will smilingly move the focus towards fun. There is nothing so irresistibly infectious as confident and full-hearted laughter. And just because we laugh it doesn't mean we’re not serious. Sometimes at a lovely meal a story may emerge that makes us silent for a while, that makes us think and feel a little differently. But then the merriment reappears, and the laughter and the conviction that this is a good place to be. What place? Why Tom Baker's forum of course. This is the way I want it to be. We’ll give it 6 months to a year to see how it goes, but in parts it's doing well already. I hope you're enjoying it.

Tom
Tom Baker
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome