Being As You Have Done Every Other Performing Venue ...

Read guidelines first. Start new topic in March 2011 to post your question.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Forum rules
Read guidelines first. Start new topic to post your question.
Ask one question per post.
Each member allowed one question per month.

Being As You Have Done Every Other Performing Venue ...

Postby Moderator on March 27th, 2011, 10:30 pm

... Have you ever considered recording an album of songs?

And I don't mean narrating them, I am speaking of actual songs you sing. Pehaps something along the lines of:

"Baker's Bawdy Ballads,"

or

"Tom Baker Redux - 5th Century Monastic Chants."

Best,
Dirk :ugeek:

Re: Being As You Have Done Every Other Performing Venue ...

Postby Tom Baker on March 30th, 2011, 8:38 pm

Dirk,

Oh, I have thought of all sorts of things to record, most of them best left unmentioned. I am about to start on the first of about 22 CDs of Who audio adventures for Big Finish Productions and also a five part adventure for BBC Audio.

Years ago I was offered The Beggars Opera in London, but I bottled it. And now I regret it. I was offered Salieri in Amadeus and let that slip too. Paul Scofield had been so wonderful and I had worked with him in Rules of the Game by Pirandello at The National Theatre and been overwhelmed by his artistry and power. I am still willing to consider recording old or new things but there are so many actors also ready to grab the chances.

I did mention adapting the book of Genesis with me playing a very disappointed God. There were no takers. Then I offered to do Lucifer, full of regrets and wondering whether it had all been worthwhile and trying to make it up with God. There were no takers. I was not surprised. And then I thought I could do a selection of Shakespeare sonnets in the style of pillow talk and, you've guessed it, no takers.

I was talking to my dog Poppy about all of these things only yesterday. She looked at me as though I was not making much sense so I shut up and we went for a walk in the woods.

Best wishes from Tom
Tom Baker
Site Admin

Return to Questions for March 2011