Watching Who with kids

Read guidelines first. Start new topic in March 2011 to post your question.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Forum rules
Read guidelines first. Start new topic to post your question.
Ask one question per post.
Each member allowed one question per month.

Watching Who with kids

Postby Wonkakid on March 10th, 2011, 9:26 pm

Hello Tom. I've been a fan of yours/Doctor Who here in Chicago since I saw "The Invasion of Time" on WTTW back in the late '70s -- I was 11 or 12 at the time -- when they aired half-hour episodes every week night at 5:30. Thanks for being a special part of my life and for responding to questions on this very cool board.

I've heard the tale told many times that you were driving around one evening with with a director/writer/producer of Doctor Who. It occurred to you that it was time for the show and you pulled up to a house with a lot of bikes outside -- presumably with children inside watching Who. You asked the lady of the house if you could come in to watch and were invited inside. The kids kept looking from the screen to you, their jaws nearly on the floor.

My question: is this true and, if so, did it (or something like it) happen more than once?

All the best,

Rob
Chicago, USA
Wonkakid

Re: Watching Who with kids

Postby Tom Baker on March 22nd, 2011, 9:43 pm

Rob in Chicago,

It really did happen and the children were distraught that their friends at school would not believe them on the Monday. I signed a solemn little document and contacted the local press when I got back to London to prove the story was true.

It all ended happily, and it only happened once.

Tom
Tom Baker
Site Admin

Return to Questions for March 2011