Your off-screen relationship with Anthony Ainley

Read guidelines first. Start new topic in January 2011 to post your question.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Forum rules
Read guidelines first. Start new topic to post your question.
Ask one question per post.
Each member allowed one question per month.
Tom will answer a maximum of 30 questions per month.

Your off-screen relationship with Anthony Ainley

Postby philipdalton on January 4th, 2011, 9:32 pm

Being as he was the man who technically murdered your character in front of millions of people, making your role vacant for Dinky Davison, I’ve often wondered what he was like to work with in real life. Did you ever hold a grudge against him for anything?
“Oh yeah, you really got me now, you've got me so I don't know what I'm doing"
philipdalton

Re: Your off-screen relationship with Anthony Ainley

Postby Tom Baker on January 7th, 2011, 5:26 pm

Dear Philip,

I used to live in his brother's house in North London. Athony's father was the great Edwardian star, Henry Ainley and his brother was a wonderful teacher called Richard Ainley. And Anthony was often at the house and played table tennis with Richard's children. He was very good with them. And though I saw him a lot he always seemed mysterious to me. After he killed me in the series I used to see him occasionally at conventions and he hardly ever talked about work. His big passion in life was cricket. Also I remember he never used public transport. He was a very good driver of cars and ****.

I have often been killed in other parts and have never really minded. I recall a rather good death scene when I played Rasputin. And when the real thing comes I hope to be convincing. Poor Anthony, he wasn't old, you know, and I think he was batting away right to the end when he was bowled out well short of his century. Ah, well.

Happy New Year from Tom
Tom Baker
Site Admin

Return to Questions for January 2011