I Bought Tom's First Series This Afternoon

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

I Bought Tom's First Series This Afternoon

Postby Prydonian on March 3rd, 2011, 1:56 am

In honor of Nicholas Courney, I watched the first serial, ROBOT, tonight. The cast was great as always. Ian Marter was also on hand as Harry, and Elisabeth Sladen was even more beautiful than I remembered. The story itself centered around a super robot created by a misguided scientist being used by militiants.

I wonder if anyone else out here has all five of Tom's first series and has watched them lately. I got a great deal on the purchases and plan to watch the rest in order.
To jog everyone's memories, Tom's first set of stories were as follows:

ROBOT
THE ARK IN SPACE
THE SONTARAN EXPERIMENT
GENESIS OF THE DALEKS
REVENGE OF THE CYBERMEN
Prydonian

Re: I Bought Tom's First Series This Afternoon

Postby Graceful Leonard on March 3rd, 2011, 4:48 pm

I've got the first four of those, although I haven't watched them for some time. I rate them very highly, and love the relationship between Tom/Lis/Ian.

I think 'Genesis' in particular is one of the all-time classics of television sci-fi from any era. For a family tea time show, it had depth and touched on some interesting ethical questions.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby tracy on March 3rd, 2011, 7:26 pm

:D ive got nearly all of toms era just waiting for the others to be realeased to arrive at the stamp shop
Last edited by tracy on March 3rd, 2011, 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby tch on March 3rd, 2011, 7:47 pm

Good, solid series. Think every one was on my list of 'must watch's when I started introducing my son to old Who.
Liked how all the stories are linked together.
tch

Postby Prydonian on March 3rd, 2011, 9:08 pm

In a day and age when Dr Who is loosely connected by stories with buzz words and predictions, I dare say it works better the way it is done here. i enjoy early Tom as it has my two favorite travelling companions (Sarah and Harry) and offers some great storytelling. This is also the series which first introduced the world to Davros.
Surely, this was a momentous occasion back in the day.
Prydonian

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years