It was thirty years ago today....

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

It was thirty years ago today....

Postby Doctor John Smith on January 21st, 2011, 12:07 am

Well - ok - not today, but it was on 21st March 1981 - the original UK airdate for episode 4 of Logopolis - that Tom hung up his scarf and handed over the key to the Tardis. I just wondered if any of you had any thoughts on this particular anniversary?

I remember feeling a great sense of sadness and loss at the depature of the Fourth Doctor. Tom was part of my childhood, and suddenly not to have him there - well - I know many of you out there felt and still feel the same.

There is a video on YouTube by tardisgirlfrance set to Nelly Furtado's "All Good Things (Come to an End)" with clips from accross Season 18 - the lyrics seem oddly appropraite, and I recommend that you see it.

Me? Well I intend spending 21st March 2011 clad in my Season 18 scarf (all 20 feet of it) and reflecting on Tom's mighty and indelible contribution to Doctor Who, which thankfully continues to this day with his Tommentaries, and the rebirth of his Doctor via Hornet's Nest and Demon Quest.

DJS
The Doctor: I tell you, Brigadier, there's nothing to worry about! The brontosarus is large and placid!
Harry Sullivan: (to the Brigadier) This the patient, sir?
The Doctor: (looking up at Harry) And stupid!

The Doctor & Harry Sullivan - Robot
Doctor John Smith

Re: It was thirty years ago today....

Postby Prydonian on January 21st, 2011, 12:45 am

Even though I do like some of the Doctors that were to follow, I do feel that Tom's departure was a very hard act to follow, and the series never quite was the same afterwards. I do remember an interview Tom did where he said at the time of his leaving that he fully expected the series to carry on successfully without him. It is a matter of some debate how successful the series was after he left. Those are my thoughts on it anyway.
Prydonian

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years