Queries for Doctor Who

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Queries for Doctor Who

Postby The Cloaked One on November 16th, 2009, 9:05 am

Doctor Who is an amazing series. It went from amazing doctor to amazing doctor four times and has seen many amazing developments. The amount of luck the story has seen is astounding. The Second doctor was handpicked from the first. The Master, Ricardo, was refused three times to enter the story, but because he was friends with Pertwee and helped with some of the scripts, he got in. The Fourth Doctor, from reading his bio, contacted Bill the day Bills was taking over Head of Serials and was working with Barry in search for a new Doctor.
Even during the first four doctors, there were some change in directions that were a bit of the letdown. During The Second Doctor in the War Games, the Timelords were amazing and powerful. Then during the 3rd and 4th doctor, they were lazy, and then finally dead during the time wars.

Some things I scratch my head about are that the Master has died on numerous occasions. During Baker's era, The Master was on his final regeneration and was given a new set of lives during the Five Doctors. Then he used all of those up at some time and was brought back again during the Time Wars. Currently he has died twice, once as the old man, and then again. I'm wondering how the timelords kept bringing him back and now that he is dead, how he will return since all the timelords that used to bring him back are dead.

I talked about it in another thread, but the Key to Time also makes me curious. There have been several events in the story where the Key to Time could be used, such as during Logopolis or the Time Wars, though it is never really mentioned after that arc. The 'ultimate weapon' was also very strange in that it was only shot twice before breaking.

The Time Locks still confuses me. The Time Wars were somehow put under lock. Why cannot the Doctor or the Master travel to before the Time Wars started and see Gallifrey? During State of Decay, there was also another huge war spanning the galaxy mentioned, where the timelords fought vampires. How can timelords not know about something like this since they can travel between the beginning and end of the Universe?

Lastly, I am confused by the Doctor's inability to commit genocide. During the Invisible Enemy, he had no problem genociding that creature/macro virus, nor during the City of Death with the last Jagaroth. He was ordered by all of the timelords to kill, destroy, or tamper with the Daleks, but he could not. But upon finding instructions by one timelord, he goes about killing the last vampire in State of Decay which could not have been any more of a menace than the Daleks are. Perhaps the Doctor feels some sympathy for the Daleks or something, aside from blowing up there fleets.
Si-Fy and Fantasy, that is where my heart lies. To Doctor Who and its 18 years of brilliance, still waiting on the 50 yr anniversary!
The Cloaked One

Re: Queries for Doctor Who

Postby The Cloaked One on November 16th, 2009, 9:15 am

Nah, don't take my comments too seriously. I tend to analyze stories a bit too far at times, and enjoying them as they are is the best solution.
Si-Fy and Fantasy, that is where my heart lies. To Doctor Who and its 18 years of brilliance, still waiting on the 50 yr anniversary!
The Cloaked One

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years