Logopolis

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Logopolis

Postby Jedi Princess on November 23rd, 2009, 6:18 am

I have greatly enjoyed the above arguments. LOL. I for one would have gone along with the Master's schemes if he promised to throw Adric and Tegan off the radar tower thing ;) And yes, I think the flooding the Tardis thing was stupid. As is the number crunching. *yawns*
"The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship... Everything has its time. And everything ends." - Sarah Jane, School Reunion
Jedi Princess

Postby milo1164 on December 2nd, 2009, 6:34 pm

I think Logopolis has a certain lyrical quality to it despite a few (sometime gaping) plot holes and dodgy science. But it's also a bit mystical. It has an appropriate gloom and doom quality to it; the greatest actor in the role was leaving and it was a terribly sad event. The music to Logopolis also sets the tone and is one of the best soundtracks on the series. It was a transformational story in many ways - new era for the show, new companions, new Doctor. Should Tom's Doctor have had a greater farewell? Probably so, but the old series didn't work along this premise (as Russell Davies is doing with the current series). It was just another regeneration for the charater to JNT. And the Doctor did go out saving all of creation, which is relatively heroic in a non-action hero kind of way. It's sad to see Tom leave, but Tom is quite good in it. You can tell there's a lot going on in his mind as his tenure ends - which matched the Doctor's knowledge that his fourth life was ending. I enjoy Logopolis and it closes a chapter in Doctor Who.
milo1164

Postby blackhawkrush on December 26th, 2009, 5:07 pm

I was kinda glad for Tom bailing out and not having to deal with 3 assistants. All they needed was for K9 to show up too. :lol:
blackhawkrush

Postby John on December 26th, 2009, 5:33 pm

Which he would have done had RTD been in charge.......and Sarah, Harry, Leela........etc.

I'll stop my RTD bashing right there, before I get in trouble.
John

Postby Doctor31074 on January 19th, 2010, 11:55 pm

Having recently seen The End of Time, ending the Tenth Doctor's time on the show, I decided to re-watch the send off for the big four. I remembered that the story was somewhat bittersweet, and that in the end I thought it was a fairly good end for the Doctor. However upon re-watching the story I felt that it was lacking severely in some areas. It's good in its own way, but the feeling I had with Tennant's send-off, (The feeling of having going too soon, and work half done) did not come. This was not bad and considering Tom's time in the role there was no good feeling for this feeling at all. However the story gives me the feeling that Logopolis had the Doctor's regeneration tacked on, and the half-explained Watcher put in to help it to make sense. Overall it was an alright story, but I don't think that it was a fitting end for Tom Baker's Doctor.
Doctor31074

Postby thomdalladay on March 12th, 2010, 2:38 pm

Personally this is my favourite Doctor Who episode of all, followed by Inferno. There are a few inconsistencies, sure - but every story has them.

Everytime I watch this episode, I end up in tears during Tom's regeneration scene... His last words "It's the end... But the moment has been prepared for..." are without doubt the best parting words of any Doctor, again Pertwee in second place with "A tear, Sarah Jane? No, don't cry. While there's life, there's..."
thomdalladay

Previous

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years