Tom Baker, best Doctor ever?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Tom Baker, best Doctor ever?

Postby The Cloaked One on May 4th, 2011, 7:14 am

I don't want to get too caught in the conversation, but for simplifying.
Animals in general tend to be self centered. There are some that marry and have families, there are many that don't, and of course there are one's that just eat their spouse or hatch lings.
Most animals have a shorter lifespan than the average human. They eat they sleep, they mate, they migrate, they live.
Some are tribal, like monkeys, and have a basic sense of morality if it can be called that, but enough so to sometimes kill one of the other members or ostracize it from the group. Some have orders, like our horses kicking the crap out of each other until the leader is decided.
Some animals use tools to achieve a goal.
Humans are an amalgamation of all of this. The largest difference I see between us and other animals, aside from our brains being like powerhouses, is the ability to plan long term. Most animals will consider only for the span of a day, a week, the summer, or winter and not beyond that point. Humans, however, will plan things that will take even centuries to build such as the Pyramids and the Great Wall.
A second possible difference might be the ability to lie, though this might just be due to a breakdown in communication with animals. For the most part, it doesn't seem that animals lie to each other. To humans, such as my dog, if it knows it's done something wrong, it tries to hide the evidence, or be elsewhere where it can feign surprise, but in general lying seems to be a relatively unused aspect that humans tend to use all too much. I'm not saying animals cannot be cunning, sly, and everything else, but they seem relatively 'honest' in their actions and deeds, or at least not trying to hide anything from each other. XD

As for Cushing, I saw the serial in Doctor Who and it felt strange watching the same events played by another actor with small changes made here and there.
The Movie is not the only work that was done with work from the official actor (We have the 2.5 Doctor movie being made that Pertwee worked a bit on), the big difference is that this was considered canon. Somewhere on high, someone gave it a thumbs up. If you ask me, it should never have been made into canon, though I did also like the Tardis interior too. The only reasoning I can see behind what they did was to bring fans of the movie to Nu Who to give it a little extra spur to see if the series would hold. Eccleson only signed up for one year because there was a lot of uncertainty that the series would continue after the first year. A show that is cancelled rarely ever sees the light of day a second time.
Otherwise, a lot of the same basic issues would still exist without the inclusion of the movie. Rather than never seeing the eight change to the ninth, we wouldn't have seen the seventh change into the eighth. That's about it.
Though Russle T. also seemed to like the 'religious' elements of the movie as well and brought in Daleks with a God complex in the very first season, the last thing the series needed.
Si-Fy and Fantasy, that is where my heart lies. To Doctor Who and its 18 years of brilliance, still waiting on the 50 yr anniversary!
The Cloaked One

Postby MCH on May 4th, 2011, 12:13 pm

TCH,

I never saw Cushing as the Doctor. That would be interesting. And a bit creepy as I always saw him in scary flicks.

Clara,

Yes, there needs to be a topic for Miss Cell Anious es stuff. How about in the the topic thread called miscellaneous? We can call it the ranters room, lol.

MCH

I set up a place for off topic discussions. The path is, fan community to miscellaneous to ranters room. In case anyone's interested.
Last edited by MCH on May 4th, 2011, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MCH

Postby tch on May 4th, 2011, 12:25 pm

Cushing was a good Doctor and it was cool to see him playing such a nice guy. Apparently, he really enjoyed it too and would have been happy to do more.

I see the McGann movie as kind of the test run for the new show. As it tried to make the show a bit more modern, add a touch of romance etc.
It has it's flaws, but it was nice that McCoy got a regeneration scene, McGann is a good Doctor, love that Tardis set, Dr. Grace was a good character, a move away from cute screaming girls and more of a Sarah Jane/Liz Shaw type of companion and compared to John Simms, Eric Roberts is a pretty good Master.

Like with Colin Baker, Big Finish has done some great stuff with McGann's Doctor and given us a look at what might have been.
tch

Postby 33rddoctor on May 4th, 2011, 10:27 pm

[quote="MCH"]TCH,

I never saw Cushing as the Doctor. That would be interesting. And a bit creepy as I always saw him in scary flicks.

cushing genraly played the heroic type
33rddoctor

Postby Prydonian on May 4th, 2011, 10:42 pm

If we discount McGann and the TV Movie as canon, then we basically don't lose much as we go from the end of McCoy in the classic series to Eccleston starting out in the new series. Whose to say that would not have worked, it had everything but a regeneration sequence from McCoy into Eccleston.
Prydonian

Postby bcm77 on May 4th, 2011, 11:13 pm

Prydonian wrote:If we discount McGann and the TV Movie as canon, then we basically don't lose much as we go from the end of McCoy in the classic series to Eccleston starting out in the new series. Whose to say that would not have worked, it had everything but a regeneration sequence from McCoy into Eccleston.

I discount everything post Tom from the official canon 8-)
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby Clara Listensprechen on May 4th, 2011, 11:50 pm

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby Prydonian on May 5th, 2011, 2:11 am

Well, in my more bohemian moments from several years ago, I once considered starting a religion called "The Order of Baker". I was very into TB in those days as I was recovering from a severe illness.
Prydonian

Postby tch on May 5th, 2011, 3:24 am

If during communion we get Jelly Babies, I'd join the Order of Baker.
I've already got my own scarf.

I'm against discounting McGann, as uneven as that movie is, they got the Doctor right. McGann was excellent.
tch

Postby Prydonian on May 6th, 2011, 8:35 pm

Yes, I had things well-thought out about the Order of Baker back in the day, as religious delusions will do that to you. But it could have been loads of entertainment value. You know...fun!!! :lol:

I wonder what TB would think of a society built around him as the central figure. :?
Prydonian

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years