Tom Baker, best Doctor ever?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Tom Baker, best Doctor ever?

Postby MCH on April 28th, 2011, 12:36 pm

TCH,

I think that the whole, "lonely Time Lord" concept is why the Doctor never "gets the girl." even though he had strong feelings for Rose he never actually acted on them and remained somewhat aloof and distant. That is just the Doctor. I recall one episode where the Doctor had to become human to hide from some intergalactic "bounty hunter types." while human with no memories he fell in like with a school teacher. I don't recall any snogging going on though. And when he turned back into a Time Lord and she found out what he was she spurned him and broke his hearts. Again, the lonely Doctor theme.

Could you refresh my memory and tell me where Tennant's Doctor actually initiated a kiss? I can't recall an instance were he did.

Amy Ponds character is very forceful yet fun. I don't like how she refers to and treats, " her boys." especially when she belittles Rory. But I think that she and rory have made good and fun companions for the Doctor. And Rory is starting to gain confidence and hold his own now. She certainly keeps the Doctor on his toes. However the Doctor still has "it" and one ups her.

River Song is still as enigmatic as ever. At first we were lead to believe that she was the Doctors wife in the future. But then we find out the she met him when she was young. And their time lines are going in reverse. Now, there is a hint that she wasn't actually married to him. It's a convoluted tail. Oh yes, there is the thing about her being in prison for killing a very important person. Was it the Doctor? We don't know. She does seem to be a strong enough person to do it if he asks her to. If that is what might happen. Ah conjecture. I like River but I hope she doesn't make it a habit to shoot off every hat the Doctor puts on, lol. That would get rather "old hat." yes, I went there, lol.

MCH
MCH

Postby bcm77 on April 28th, 2011, 4:16 pm

MCH wrote:Bcm, the new series Doctor IS uncomfortable around females that try to show him affection. Matt Smith was squirming all over the place trying to get away from Amy Pond. **** in tv shows is much more prevalent now then it was back in the Classic Who era. That issue follows what the producers etc. Deem important to get good ratings and such. People now a days are so used to it that it would be weird if there wasn't any. The times they are a changing. And so is the Doctor.
MCH

That was one of the few positive things I took from the first series with Steven Moffat in charge, he made the Doctor seem more alien again and his reactions in that scene where Amy basically threw herself at him were one of my favorite scenes in the entire modern show.

I understand why RTD felt he had to introduce the romantic elements as like the 1000mph format it's what brings in the casual viewers that aren't necessarily sci-fi fans but it just isn't my cup of tea.

As for River Song, despite all the teasing in the show that she's Mrs Doctor the reality looks like being one of the best twists ever. From the hints dropped by Matt Smith and writer Neil Gaiman, I think I've worked out who it is although if I'm right it will take some explaining....timey wimey stuff may need to happen :)
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby MCH on April 28th, 2011, 8:59 pm

Yes, bcm.

Whatever Did happen to the Doctors "Daughter" clone ? Let's see, she was blonde, was high spirited and adventurous and she had his complete DNA. She could navigate the TARDIS. She said that he taught her but what if she Had his memories too? Don't know, but if she did she would know his real name. Though why she would let people and the Doctor think of her as a romantic possibility is beyond fathoming. Unless it is to throw them off track.

Speaking of off track, I guess we did get a little over exuberant and forgot what topic thread we were in. Sorry Mr.Tom. You're the greatest! I think there is a miscellaneous thread in the fan community tha we could move to should we want to continue this thread. Anyone game?

MCH
MCH

Postby tch on April 29th, 2011, 11:43 am

MCH: don't get me started on RTD and his love of the 'lonely Doctor'.
I have teenagers in my house, I know overly dramatic 'woe is me angst' when I see it, and it doesn't impress me.
While there should be a hint of it to the Doctor, like with the romance, RTD plays the lonely Doctor with all the subtlety of hammer to the forehead.
It should be a brief moment and then we move on, not a constant theme.

and in a clever attempt to get this thread on target, let me use a Tom based example:
End of 'Invasion of time', we get a mention from Leela, asking will the Doctor be lonely and then we cut to that great scene in the Tardis. That little sigh from Tom and just when you think the episode will end on a sad note, he drags out that crate and we get the grin.
tch

Postby Clara Listensprechen on April 29th, 2011, 8:51 pm

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby 33rddoctor on April 29th, 2011, 9:58 pm

my copy of the pyramids of mars just turned up, its still awsome and i realy dont think that it has aged at all,
Mr Baker is as always the best doctor
ps leela is hot
33rddoctor

Postby The Cloaked One on May 1st, 2011, 9:50 am

On the issue of romance in Doctor Who, don't disguise the show into something it is not. The only 'romance' in old who fell back to the first Doctor in 'the Aztecs' where he accidentally became married to a woman there. She gave him a token to remember her by and he kept it. The Doctor is platonic, he only has friends because he is a rampant adventurer. Tom Baker put it best in 'City of Death' when he said "You're a very beautiful woman... probably."

As for my favorite Doctors in order:
Troughton (He is really one of the three stooges, we all know it XD. Even in his 'off' episodes, he always found a way to be funny in it, mostly through slapstick)
Pertwee (He always gave off the in control, mentor feeling. I consider his 7 part episodes to be the some of the best of old who. I still say a few of Baker's episodes would have been better given one extra part to wrap things up)
Tom Baker (too much awesomeness)
Tennant (Library, Blink and good acting)
Hartnell
Colin Baker (Trial of a Timelord)
Smith
McCoy
Eccleston (Empty Child, final quote most everything else I didn't like)
McGanns
Davidson (except for Caves of Androzanni)
Si-Fy and Fantasy, that is where my heart lies. To Doctor Who and its 18 years of brilliance, still waiting on the 50 yr anniversary!
The Cloaked One

Postby MCH on May 1st, 2011, 1:50 pm

Speaking of romance, the doctor was snogged by River Song in last nights episode. She wanted to see if he remembered. As their time lines are in reverse she knows that he will one time forget he knew her. She knows now after he said he didn't remember ever kissing her that the time is close when he won't remember her at all.
Btw when she was kissing him he still squirmed and was extremely uncomfortable. Then he quickly retreated to the TARDIS and left her standing in her prison cell.

The clocked one,

The Doctor is a runner. He has indicated this again and again. So the idea of him being romantically tied to one woman would probably drive him bonkers. Also, he also never agreed with the Time Lords stance on minimal interference. He felt that they should help where they can which is why he can't stand to just walk away from beings in dire straits. And, it is true that he has a passion for adventure. If I had a time machine I would as well ! :D
"Don't disguise the show into something it is not?" Why should the new shows be limited to only doing what the old shows did?

MCH
MCH

Postby Clara Listensprechen on May 1st, 2011, 5:11 pm

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby MCH on May 1st, 2011, 8:48 pm

Clara,

My question was, "Why should the new shows be limited to only doing what the old shows did?" Not the new shows need to do completely different things from the old show. But why should the new shows limit themselves to only doing everything that the old shows had in them? To never change or evolve or grow.

For example, in the old shows there were the Daleks, Cybermen, silurians, etc. Why shouldn't there be new types of aliens that he encounters? Why is it wrong for him to have strong feelings for someone just because he didn't in the past?

Not change the main line of the Doctor and his TARDIS and Galifrey and companions and such, no, of course not. But why is it considered bad that the new shows have some new stuff added? Just a continuation of the story with new stuff. Like, Is it really that far fetched that a woman kissed the Doctor? Is that so terribly awful? It might not be for everyone but is it a complete detachment from the classic series?

MCH
MCH

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years