Tom Baker, best Doctor ever?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Tom Baker, best Doctor ever?

Postby 33rddoctor on April 27th, 2011, 5:12 pm

also the title of this thread is wrong it should be "Tom baker, best doctor ever!" rather than "Tom baker, best doctor ever?" as lets face it its not realy a question
33rddoctor

Postby Clara Listensprechen on April 27th, 2011, 5:57 pm

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby MCH on April 27th, 2011, 8:37 pm

Don't forget that Amy is married to Rory.
Also there was another time she was "pregnant" but it turned out to be a bogus timeline due to a character called, the Dream Master. We still don't know what he was truly all about. He might appear again.

I like having new characters. That way the show doesn't get stale rehashing the same old. I'm tired of the Cybermen and Daleks. Back in Tom's day they were still fresh and interesting. Although the new shows with Daleks and Cybermen have introduced new characters such as the pig slaves, different versions of the Dalek Supreme, Daleks that worked for the government, a Dalek human hybrid, human Galfreyan dalek hybrids and upgraded Cybermen, Cyber leaders and a Cyber King that was a woman. I did enjoy the battle between the Daleks and Cybermen.

I must be missing something big time because I really don't see that much difference between how the Classic stories were and the New Who is. Or maybe it really doesn't matter to me. I don't know. I only know that I enjoy all of them.

MCH
MCH

Postby 33rddoctor on April 27th, 2011, 10:31 pm

mch i havent read the entire thread so im not sure if some of your comments are in responce to me or others but with regards to your comments. i have nothing against new charicters.. as you said if it never changed it would get very boreing. i like all the old villans and there reimagining.
with regards to amy being pregnant, yes she is with rory but rory is a robot, i realise this is sciance fiction but well i hope you can see were im going.
with regards to how doctor who is differant from for example tom bakers time is the relationship between the doctor and assistant. the way i look at it is like this the doctor is like a father figure or even a grandfather figure the assistant was there to get in trouble the doctor would get them out of trouble. now that is not to say that the assistant has to be a weak ninny in fact just the oposit in my opinion some of the best assistance were sarah jane, romana and the wonderful leela. my main problem is the whole love interest, there was always a love between the doctors and assistance but i never picked up on any hanky panky going on (maybe i was just not seeing it)
it just seems that in the current show you dont realy need doctor who in it, i cant remember the last time he actualy solved the problem it always seems to be amy or miss song (this is only my opinion so i hope i dont rub any one up the wrong way ) but it would be nice if the current doctor would stop beeing a goofy hat stand and rememberd that he is a TIME LORD.
33rddoctor

Postby Clara Listensprechen on April 27th, 2011, 10:52 pm

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby bcm77 on April 28th, 2011, 12:56 am

33rddoctor wrote:my main problem is the whole love interest, there was always a love between the doctors and assistance but i never picked up on any hanky panky going on (maybe i was just not seeing it)

The whole love intrest thing was for me one of the most nauseating things about the RTD era.

In my opinion stuff like the overly protracted Rose-Doctor love story belongs in a soap opera and not a sci-fi drama as all it does is make the Doctor appear overly human and the whole premise of the character is that he's an alien so he rarely reacts to situations in the same way a human would.......RTD threw all that out the window and the character became too predictable and therefore not as intresting.

Tom has said on several DVD commentaries that whenever the script called for any kind of physical interaction with a companion he always made it look as awkward as possible as he reasoned that an alien would probably have very different ideas and ways about showing their feelings.....look how he carries Sarah Jane when she crawls out the air duct in "The Ark In Space" or the line in "City of Death" where he says to the Countess "You're a very beautiful woman.........probably".

The one time he seemed to have any romantic feelings for a companion was Romana II which wasn't too much of a stretch to believe as if the Doctor was going to fall for anyone it'd more likely be someone of his own race and of a similar intellectual level than a dimwit like Rose.

But even then there was just the occasional exchange of glances or a line such as the one in "State of Decay" where he says "You're wonderful".

It was never made a major part of the entire series and the Doctor never got pushed into the background so the companion and her family could be the focal point either.....series 1 of Nu-Who may as well have been called "Rose Tyler & Family Save the Galaxy also featuring the Doctor".
Last edited by bcm77 on April 28th, 2011, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby Clara Listensprechen on April 28th, 2011, 2:17 am

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby MCH on April 28th, 2011, 3:23 am

Well Clara, the writers are governed by "the powers at beeb." So, it is ultimately the beeb peeps descision. And by the way my referring to Rose as a hussy is another attempt at humor. You do know what humor is right? Lol Although, I still don't like her character much.

Bcm, the new series Doctor IS uncomfortable around females that try to show him affection. Matt Smith was squirming all over the place trying to get away from Amy Pond. **** in tv shows is much more prevalent now then it was back in the Classic Who era. That issue follows what the producers etc. Deem important to get good ratings and such. People now a days are so used to it that it would be weird if there wasn't any. The times they are a changing. And so is the Doctor.

Donna Noble was whisked away onto the TARDIS by a force that had nothing to do with the Doctor. She didn't want to be there and was very upset. After her adventure with the Doctor he asked her to join him. From then on she was hooked being able to travel through space and time. Woohoo!

MCH
MCH

Postby tch on April 28th, 2011, 3:36 am

What I don't get is why set up Rose as special and then do everything you can to under mind that idea?

Every Doctor had a 'favorite', ( heck, the First Doctor got engaged) but, every time Tennant snogged someone else it watered down the idea of Rose being special. Make up your mind RTD!

Personally, I liked Rose. What I don't get is cult of Amy Pond. She annoys me. I keep wishing the Doctor would have taken 11 year old Amelia with him instead.
I do like that we seem to have gotten the snogging out of our system and Matt Smith's Doctor is more concerned with cool headgear than romance.
tch

Postby Clara Listensprechen on April 28th, 2011, 4:29 am

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years