Tom Baker, best Doctor ever?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Tom Baker, best Doctor ever?

Postby Prydonian on April 24th, 2011, 2:15 am

Well, the regime ended not too long after as far as number of stories goes that were produced by RTD after JOURNEY'S END. But I feel your pain....er heed your point, well you know what I mean. :lol:
But seriously, though, did you think anything noteworthy of THE STOLEN EARTH even if you did not go for it's second part? :?
Prydonian

Postby bcm77 on April 24th, 2011, 5:05 pm

Prydonian wrote:Well, the regime ended not too long after as far as number of stories goes that were produced by RTD after JOURNEY'S END. But I feel your pain....er heed your point, well you know what I mean. :lol:
But seriously, though, did you think anything noteworthy of THE STOLEN EARTH even if you did not go for it's second part? :?

In all honesty I can't remember as most stories from that era failed to stay in my thoughts for longer than 5 minutes after they finished :)

The modern version of the show always leaves me with a feeling of emptiness and apathy whereas the stories from Tom's era and others during the original 26 year run stick in my mind like a favorite song and I can always remember them in great detail even if months go by before I watch them again.

I have tried with the Steven Moffat era and I think Matt Smith is good but overall the basic style hasn't changed and I think the problem is that it's trying to be too clever and complex for it's own good and I think the over reliance on story arcs, convoluted plot twists & fancy special effects has lead to a visually slicker but ultimately less satisfying version of Who.
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby Clara Listensprechen on April 24th, 2011, 7:44 pm

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby metalheadjay on April 25th, 2011, 2:36 pm

The ONLY thing truly bad about Tom Baker's era was the "special effects" and they were quite enjoyable in a cheesy sorta way. ;)

Jay
metalheadjay

Postby MCH on April 25th, 2011, 7:10 pm

Clara,

A gal named River Song whispered the Doctor's real name in his ear so that he would know that he could trust her. That was in the episode where they were in a library and the shadow creatures would eat people. Of course you couldn't hear what she whispered. :roll: And it was implied then that she was his wife from his future. Then, in the new show she said that she first met him when she was young and that he knew all about her. But the older they get the more she knows about him and the less he knows about her and one day he will not know her at all. How's that for a twisty plot? ;) And, Amy Pond is pregnant ! Or so she said, lol.

Spoiler Alert ! Don't read any further if you don't want to know about something that happened in the episode from the other day! The Doctor was shot and killed then shot and really killed when he tried to regenerate. A future Doctor. So, hmmm? What will it all mean?

MCH ?
MCH

Postby Clara Listensprechen on April 25th, 2011, 8:04 pm

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby Prydonian on April 25th, 2011, 8:58 pm

PBS where I live quit showing the new series after David Tennant's first series for some strange reason, and now it is between BBC America (new episodes) and Sci-fi Channel or whatever they call themselves now.
As for the Matt Smith Doctor not regenerating, it's a ploy. To get us to tune in when Part Two airs. Smith is in all the episodes this season and is considering doing another full season next year.
Prydonian

Postby Clara Listensprechen on April 25th, 2011, 11:09 pm

----
Last edited by Clara Listensprechen on May 30th, 2011, 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clara Listensprechen

Postby MCH on April 25th, 2011, 11:54 pm

I saw the new show, the impossible astronaut, online. You can find it if "you" search the Internet "tube".
It is good but disturbing at the beginning. "hides behind the sofa." Eeeee!

MCH
MCH

Postby 33rddoctor on April 27th, 2011, 5:10 pm

whilst i liked the alians i thought the story was gimiky ........ also if amy pond is pregnant i will be sorely disapointed in the writers (sorry but in my opinion doctor who is not a carry on film with every one trying to get a "bunk up")
33rddoctor

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years