How would the Fourth Doctor react to the other Doctors?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: How would the Fourth Doctor react to the other Doctors?

Postby metalheadjay on April 3rd, 2011, 6:04 am

tch said:
I thought Peter worked, as after Tom you needed a less eccentric Doctor. Any actor that had played the role too manic or comical would have been nailed for just 'trying to be Tom'.
----------------------------------

Really? What would you call David Tennant then? He is constantly called one of the better doctors, yet I always thought he was completely ripping off Tom. I admire his admiration and fandom but there can be only one genuine article. His approach was not fresh or original in the least. Also, I always felt he was trying too hard and overacting whereas with Tom, it was completely natural and inherent.

Jay
metalheadjay

Postby tch on April 3rd, 2011, 12:11 pm

Yes, but Tennant is doing elements of Tom twenty years after Tom's run, whereas Davidson's run was five minutes after Tom's.
There's been enough time and different Doctors, between Tom and Tennant, with Davidson coming right after it never would have worked.
Just as Tennant worked because he came after Eccelston, who played a darker, serious Doctor, Tennant could come along and be goofy. Tennant's Doctor was letting out all that stuff that Eccelston's had been holding in, just coming off the Time Wars.
tch

Postby MCH on April 3rd, 2011, 12:42 pm

What do you guys think about the drawn out death scene of Doctor 10 ? Im sure that it is explained by one of the, powers that be, on ome sort of interview. I vaguely recall seeing a man's face on the tv screen saying something about it. Ok, so the Doctor didn't want to give up that particular version of himself. You know, I can't help wondering if it wasn't some sort of homage to Doctor 4 leaving after a good run. the scene was very dramatic and certainly brought tears to my eyes.

I believe that the New Who was brought back by people that grew up with and loved the show. Ok, so maybe that isn't totally so in some of their cases. But the whole feel of the New Who smacks of nostalgia and homage.

MCH
MCH

Postby tch on April 3rd, 2011, 6:10 pm

I'm torn, as all those good-byes went on a long time, but the fanboy in me enjoyed it and could appreciate Russell and Tennant wanting a big last going away gift, despite knowing it was a bit cheesy.

It was a version of those 'past companion' montages we got during Tom, and Peter's regeneration scenes, as well as letting us know that the Davies era was done, everyone got a happy ending and it's time to move on.

Despite that, I found Tennant's last moment very sweet and sad. No matter what gripes I've had with the new series, both regeneration scenes were perfect.
tch

Postby Prydonian on April 3rd, 2011, 8:54 pm

Without a doubt in my mind, The End of Time wrapped in a staisfactory way for bringing the Tennant era to a close. Say what you will about the camp factor with regards to John Simm's Master, but the resolution works at least for the majority of the time.
Prydonian

Postby bcm77 on April 4th, 2011, 1:26 am

MCH wrote:What do you guys think about the drawn out death scene of Doctor 10 ?

I stopped watching halfway through series 4 as I could no longer stomach anything from the RTD regime but from what I have read about it 10's departure was typical of the overblown sentimentality that blighted that entire era.

It is a shame the whole thing cannot be deleted from the archives and all the lost Hartnell and Troughton stories be restored in it's place.
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby Prydonian on April 4th, 2011, 10:29 pm

Ten's departure was in its own way as effective as the ending of either Logopolis or The Caves of Andrazani with their flashback sequences to old enemies and friends. Perhaps it was more over the top as it took longer but it generally worked and brought a tear to my eye. There is a tradition in my home to witness each Doctor's final story with tissue nearby and this was no exception. I did think it went on a bit too long, but liked the originality of it just the same. Especially when the Doctor visits the book shop with the granddaughter or great-granddaughter of the woman who John Smith loved in Human Nature. That and the Sarah Jane scene had me in tears.
Last edited by Prydonian on April 5th, 2011, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prydonian

Postby tch on April 5th, 2011, 3:15 pm

What amazes me is how Liz Sladen's good-bye scene with Doctor #10 was the shortest and yet one of the most effective.
Just that little look and wave.
tch

Postby Prydonian on April 5th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Oh, it was brilliant. It was almost as if she knew he was dying and about to regenerate again. If anyone could feel such a connection to the Doctor, I am glad it was her.
Prydonian

Postby Wonkakid on April 7th, 2011, 4:42 pm

Danny Fullbrook wrote:How would the Fourth Doctor react to the other Doctors? Share your thoughts!

Fourth Doctor: The plot would go nowhere as they both stand still staring at each-other repeating "Oh", "AH!" and "Hello"

Blinovitch Limitation Effect?
Wonkakid

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years