How would the Fourth Doctor react to the other Doctors?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: How would the Fourth Doctor react to the other Doctors?

Postby Graceful Leonard on March 25th, 2011, 10:07 am

Prydonian wrote:Dear Graceful Leonard,

Despite Tracy's plea, I am going to make this comment.

Neither is it up to you to decide which Doctors should be needlessly crticised.
If you want a Moderator brought in, go for it. I am not scared of such things.

This forum is a friendly place and we all share a common interest, although our views may differ.

Out of respect for Tom and the other members I will send you a PM regarding your concerns, rather than continue the discussion on here.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby Moderator on March 25th, 2011, 11:23 pm

Dear Prydonian and Graceful Leonard -

Will be PMing both of you, but I did wish to comment briefly here also.

I have read and reread all your comments in this Topic.

It is very difficult sometimes, when we only have words to convey meanings. In person we have both voice inflections, and body language, to help assure folks understand what we are trying to say. Then too, we are an international community here, with people also over a broad range of ages, and sometimes meanings do not translate exactly across countries nor even across our decades. So our intent can be misunderstood.

Besides Tom, we all have our our second and third ad. infin. ... favourite doctors.

There is a YouTube video out on the net where the Doctors [cos players] get together for a Christmas party and I can send its URL, if you would like to see it. The main reason I mentioned it here, is, it is a perfect example of the kind of thing I am talking about. Out of context, this line, or that line, might be seen as poking fun at the Doctor's different personalities/strengths/weaknesses/etc. or even as being mean-spirited of one Doctor towards another. But taken as a whole, it is all satire, and tongue-in-cheek, and it plays one Doctor's personality against the other in a very humourous way. No hurt is intended in it, towards any Doctor or any fan of any Doctor. And I believe the same situation applies here.

Then too, not knowing exactly what you two gentlemen (and respected Members of Tom) have shared in your PMs to each other, I sincerely hope by now, you have been able to work out your differences, to each others' mutual satisfaction. So, if there is any way I can be of any further help, to either one of you, please feel to PM me.

Best,
Dirk :ugeek:

Postby Prydonian on March 26th, 2011, 12:48 am

I am pleased to announce me and Graceful have settled our differences and the matter has been resolved, without the need of any outside help.

Thank you all.

I remain,
Prydonian 8-)
Prydonian

Postby Moderator on March 26th, 2011, 3:22 am

Dear Prydonian -

Great news. :mrgreen:

Matter is now and then "officially' put to rest, closed, whatever. ;)

Best,

Postby MCH on March 26th, 2011, 3:50 am

Mr. dirkson,

Is that who meets who on the tube a cartoonish animation? I found something with the docs together. It goes by so fast I have a hard time keeping up with it, lol.

Btw, why doesn't the Doctor want to be called Doc ? :?

Always remember, curiousity killed the cockroach ! 8-)

MCH
MCH

Postby Moderator on March 26th, 2011, 4:20 am

Dear MCH -

No, the one I spoke about is a cos(tume) players production. PM me for URl. :mrgreen:

Best,

Postby Graceful Leonard on March 26th, 2011, 7:32 pm

Moderator wrote:Dear Prydonian -

Great news. :mrgreen:

Matter is now and then "officially' put to rest, closed, whatever. ;)

Best,

Yes, all is well, thank you. :)
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby metalheadjay on March 30th, 2011, 12:02 am

Well, I absolutely love Jon Pertwee and he was a wonderful actor but when it comes to being the Doctor...Tom Baker is THE definitive Doc. Plain and simply put. I don't criticize the other people who have played the doctor as people or actors. I criticize the portrayal of the role. For example, Peter Davison was miscast as the fifth doctor. Especially being after Tom. He was bland and generic. Didn't have the humor or wit of Tom. To put it in other words..he was dull and boring. The less said about the "modern" doctors... the better.

Jay
metalheadjay

Postby tch on March 30th, 2011, 12:25 pm

I thought Peter worked, as after Tom you needed a less eccentric Doctor. Any actor that had played the role too manic or comical would have been nailed for just 'trying to be Tom'.

He was the Doctor saying 'All that running around and eating jelly babies was fun, but tiring. Think I'll take it easy, play some cricket have a cup of tea and relax.'.
Course, he had Tegan hanging around and a regenerated Master. So much for peace and quiet.
tch

Postby Graceful Leonard on March 31st, 2011, 12:56 pm

metalheadjay wrote:Well, I absolutely love Jon Pertwee and he was a wonderful actor but when it comes to being the Doctor...Tom Baker is THE definitive Doc. Plain and simply put. I don't criticize the other people who have played the doctor as people or actors. I criticize the portrayal of the role. For example, Peter Davison was miscast as the fifth doctor. Especially being after Tom. He was bland and generic. Didn't have the humor or wit of Tom. To put it in other words..he was dull and boring. The less said about the "modern" doctors... the better.

I completely agree. Davison's doctor was, for me, too gentle, too low-key, after Tom, even when PD tried to spice it up a bit. I can understand that they might have wanted a contrast, but perhaps they should have done it differently. Perhaps a female doctor at last -- there were/are no shortage of brilliant actresses who might have taken the role.

The problem is that whoever the doctor is, he or she needs to be charismatic and eccentric without obviously striving to be so. I felt Colin Baker was the only subsequent one who came close, but he was completely hampered by all the other problems Dr Who had at the time.
Graceful Leonard

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years