How would the Fourth Doctor react to the other Doctors?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: How would the Fourth Doctor react to the other Doctors?

Postby tch on January 31st, 2011, 8:56 pm

Everyone is so mean to Sylvester McCoy.
I always liked him, he had a nice Troughton vibe to him. Shame he was the Doctor during such a rough period in the shows history.

The Sarah Jane show is great. Yes, it's written for a younger audience, but it's still better written then Torchwood and has made good use of Doctor Who history.
The fact that I have a huge crush on Liz Sladen helps as well.
tch

Postby Graceful Leonard on January 31st, 2011, 10:47 pm

tch wrote:The fact that I have a huge crush on Liz Sladen helps as well.

tch, you are clearly a person of impeccable taste. For me, Lis was the second best person ever to appear in Dr Who.

As for McCoy vv Troughton, the latter was very good indeed, and an accomplished character actor in many films and shows. I'm afraid I found Sylvester woeful in every respect. Yes, he was the doctor during the show's worst phase, but I could almost feel him leeching my own charisma from me through the TV as I watched, such was his lack. Still, I understand he's going to be in the new Hobbit film, so that will be nice for him, I'm sure.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby tch on February 1st, 2011, 1:16 pm

See, any problems I have with the McCoy era come from the slashing of the budget by the BBC and some incredibly uneven writing. I always liked McCoy himself.

Course, I'm of the 'no bad Doctors' school. I like them all.

Curious to see what he's cast as in the Hobbit. Hopefully one of the dwarves that travels with Bilbo.
tch

Postby Graceful Leonard on February 1st, 2011, 6:45 pm

tch wrote:See, any problems I have with the McCoy era come from the slashing of the budget by the BBC and some incredibly uneven writing. I always liked McCoy himself.

Course, I'm of the 'no bad Doctors' school. I like them all.

Curious to see what he's cast as in the Hobbit. Hopefully one of the dwarves that travels with Bilbo.

With any luck a mute character so we won't have to contend with his poor diction.

There -- I've finished my McCoy rant now, I'll say no more!
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby tch on February 1st, 2011, 7:23 pm

personally, I want to see a story where McCoy's Doctor meets Jamie and they can have dueling Scots accents.
tch

Postby tch on February 1st, 2011, 7:30 pm

Oh, and as a vague aside, since this thread started out talking about Doctors meeting each other, I just finished listening to 'Sirens of time', from Big Finnish.

It's a story where Doctors 5,6 and 7 meet. Starts a bit slow, but once all three Doctors are together, it's brilliant.
Highly recommended to any fans of Doctor team up stories.

They are doing a 'Four Doctors' story, to celebrate their aniversary where Doctors 5-8 come together to fight the Daleks.

and I live in hope that after Tom has done a few stories for BF they will consider having all five of their Doctors meet.
So, I did manage to bring it back around to talking about Tom.
tch

Postby MCH on February 1st, 2011, 8:59 pm

TCH,

I liked McCoy. I had fun watching all the tricks he would do and that impish grin made him 'look up to something'.
True, he wasn't greatly charismatic but each Doctor had his own personality. As for his diction, it didn't bother me a bit in being from the U.S.

In regards to the Doctors meeting one another. I was surprised in the episodes that had two or more Doctors how much their egos collided. It took other people around them to reign them in so that they could get out of whatever tight spot they were in. I would imagine that would be the case no matter how many or which one of the Doctors were involved. Just my humble opinion.

MCH
MCH

Postby Prydonian on February 8th, 2011, 11:43 pm

I have nothing against Sylvester McCoy, to me he is a good Doctor in his own right, regadrless of whatever was taking place behind closed doors at the BBC. I just got the TV Movie and he invoked some feeling of nostaligia watching his Doctor in his last onscreen appearance. That is after watching all of his TV episodes in the late 80s/early 90s on PBS. It was quite a thrill seeing 'new' Who at the time. Even though now I prefer other incarnations.

To topic, if I may, I expect the 4th Doctor to experience some rough patches with those who are as strong-willed and/or tempermental, espeically the First and Sixth incarnations. :D
Prydonian

Postby Graceful Leonard on February 18th, 2011, 8:09 pm

Prydonian wrote:To topic, if I may, I expect the 4th Doctor to experience some rough patches with those who are as strong-willed and/or tempermental, espeically the First and Sixth incarnations. :D

The two Bakers would have been interesting, though I'm not sure the town was big enough for the both of them.
Graceful Leonard

Postby tch on February 18th, 2011, 9:23 pm

If the two Bakers met the conversation would be:
"I like the scarf.'
" Thank you. I must that's a very stylish coat.Would you like a jelly baby?"
"Lord, yes! I've been stuck drinking carrot juice for ages."
"Come on, let's go watch the dandy and the little hobo fellow argue."
tch

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years