Favourite Tom-era enemy?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Favourite Tom-era enemy?

Postby Graceful Leonard on August 11th, 2010, 4:14 pm

Apologies if this has been done before--couldn't see it.

Setting aside the obvious daleks, cybermen etc, what was your favourite Tom-era enemy?
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Re: Favourite Tom-era enemy?

Postby Marcello Cristiano on August 11th, 2010, 7:41 pm

Mine would have to be The Zygons. I wish they would make a return in the new series. They were just so cool, and the costume designers who made the Zygon alien look came up with their best Doctor Who costume design work for sure. There was such detail and imagination in the design of the Zygons.

Great topic, Leonard. Keep it coming, people! :)
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby Toothy Grin on August 12th, 2010, 9:35 am

I really like the Wirrn and the Krynoids as they are both terrifying in concept but not so successful in realisation, so I think I would have to say the best Tom era enemy is the Zygons who look great, have a good back-story, and can move and communicate convincingly. A superb design.
Toothy Grin

Postby blackhawkrush on August 14th, 2010, 12:12 am

I must go with the vampires from "State of Decay." Great story, excellent acting by our villains and real scary perils for our heroes. They were also very tough to destroy. :twisted:
blackhawkrush

Postby Gold Usher on August 21st, 2010, 6:06 am

Mine would be the robots on the sandminers. I love how they all move just so with almost an oriental air-- the quilted uniform of course does that...and the faces.

The heads of the robots are so deliciously stylized, almost Art Nouveau with the line designs.

Zygons would come in a close second for me too. I know they've put me off calamari~pushed pieces off to the edge of the plate the other day at work. Looks too much like a Zygon with the little suckers. Of course I wasn't about to tell the boss that after he made me lunch.
Gold Usher

Postby Graceful Leonard on August 21st, 2010, 9:53 am

Gold Usher wrote:Zygons would come in a close second for me too. I know they've put me off calamari...

:lol:
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby phleblady on August 25th, 2010, 3:06 pm

Without a doubt: Solon from the brain of Morbius. This is my favourite episode. It captures the whole frankenstien genre. Phillip Maddox is supurb as Solon and the sisters add that mystical edge that really makes this one the best for me
phleblady

Postby mikotyk on August 26th, 2010, 6:03 pm

Morbius is definitely one of my favorites. Of course, there is always the Master, Suhtek and the Fendahl but, if I really had to pick, my favorite villain would be Storr the Sontaran commander from "The Invasion of Time".
Someday, my ship will come in, but with my luck, I'll be stranded at the airport!
mikotyk

Postby DoctorWhoMAD on September 6th, 2010, 10:38 am

Oooh... let me think, it has to the robot mummies out of The Pyramids of Mars. I love that one! I love the egyptian theme to it! :mrgreen:
DoctorWhoMAD

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years