Hornet's Nest

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Hornet's Nest

Postby Doctor John Smith on July 14th, 2010, 12:00 pm

Hi Guys

As one of the few of you who hasn't heard Hornet's Nest (yes - I know - unforgivable - but my local branch of Waterstones didn't get it in - aparrently not enough demand - Phillistines!!!) I was just wondering what you all made of it, and more imporatantly what exactly is the difference between the individual releases, and the massively expensive complete series?

Yours

DJS :D
The Doctor: I tell you, Brigadier, there's nothing to worry about! The brontosarus is large and placid!
Harry Sullivan: (to the Brigadier) This the patient, sir?
The Doctor: (looking up at Harry) And stupid!

The Doctor & Harry Sullivan - Robot
Doctor John Smith

Re: Hornet's Nest

Postby Toothy Grin on July 14th, 2010, 2:50 pm

The Hornet's Nest series is a MUST buy in my opinion, mainly because it's so amazing to hear Tom back in the role of the Doctor after all these years. The stories are a little strange, very macabre and with a delicious streak of black humour (I can see why Tom liked them) and there is often some rather grotesque imagery but each story leaves you wanting to hear more, which is obviously a good thing. You definately need to hear them all in sequence as each story is connected and linked, and overall I found the series very enjoyable. Tom recreates his Doctor effortlessly and sounds like he's clearly enjoying himself.
A new series of audios with Tom, Demon Quest, is due for release very soon!
Toothy Grin

Postby Toothy Grin on July 23rd, 2010, 3:20 pm

Just spent most of this week re-listening to Hornet's Nest (one a day) and found I enjoyed them even more, possibly as I didn't have to wait a month between releases. Each story connects to the next one in a pleasing way and the idea of the Doctor fighting the Hornet menace backwards through his own time period is quite a clever one and well realised. I think the series improves with each story, the best one being the last, Hive Of Horror, but each one has it's special moments. Tom gets better with each installment too, and while sounding just a little older is still very much the fourth Doctor.
If I had to be critical, I don't think the Hornet idea justifies being strung out to 5 stories and things start to get a little predictable and repetetive towards the end (it's obvious that the Hornet's are behind all the strange goings on so the sense of mystery is diluted), and Richard Franklin is very underused, only really getting something to do in the last episode. I also would have liked to have seen at least one of the stories set away from Earth, but on the whole the Hornet's Nest saga was a very enjoyabale series and has that old-style Dr Who feel to it.
Hopefully the upcoming Demon Quest series will be a little more diverse.
Toothy Grin

Postby Graceful Leonard on July 28th, 2010, 5:10 pm

I don't usually go for these things, but I bought the 2nd episode as it was only £2.99 on Amazon. I listened to it while walking on the beach yesterday.

It's utterly loopy, and I couldn't decide at first whether it was great or terrible. I think it's possibly great. But it is very, very odd. I thought the acting was of a high standard all round.

Anyway, I've gone backwards and just bought the first. For some reason, Amazon has the full set at about £50, but individually, they can be bought for a total of around £30.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby pattie anne on July 30th, 2010, 4:43 pm

gee ... maybe they are hoping Dr Who fans can't put two and two together. :lol:

bad amazon. :x

some of us in fandome are of little means. :(
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years