The Planet of Evil

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: The Planet of Evil

Postby bcm77 on November 6th, 2009, 7:27 pm

What always stands out for me in this story is the jungle set which even today looks amazing.
If anyone wants to make a custom figure of Tom from this story all you need to do is swap the torso of the first CO figure with the one on the forthcoming "Pyramids of Mars" version and voila!
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby John on November 6th, 2009, 11:26 pm

Of course the triumph of the jungle set wasn't only down to Roger Murray-Leach's brilliant design, but also David Maloney's direction.

The beautifully lit set at Ealing studios -- which was actually only about twenty feet across -- seems to go on forever, with Maloney achieving some pretty impressive results, and the film recording gave it that really rich, vivid quality.
John

Postby Captain Rum on November 8th, 2009, 11:27 am

I've been watching the dvd of it over the weekend and it gets better which each view, just a fantastic story all the way round, great atmosphere and plenty of edge-of-the-seat drama, especially as I've left it at the end of part 2 with Tom in mid-fall :P
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Postby Theta Sigma on February 23rd, 2010, 5:54 am

Planet of Evil remains a very good chiller from the anti-matter monster to the transformation of Professor Sorenson into a monster.

The special features on the DVD are very enjoyable including the commentary with Tom, Lis Sladen, Prentis Hancock (Salamar) and producer Phillip Hinchcliffe and the documentary A Darker Side as well as a fascinating brief look at the recording of the story in Studio Scene.
Included as a PDF file is the Radio Times billings for the story but this is made redundant as all four pages can be read very visibly with its inclusion in the Easter Egg Hidden Hinchcliffe.
Theta Sigma

Previous

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years