The Horns of Nimon

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

The Horns of Nimon

Postby John on November 4th, 2009, 10:28 am

"Weakling scum...!!!"

I had previously dismissed this story as mediocre and cast it to the back of my mind (and cupboard), though with hindsight, (and the benefit of a re watch), I now realise this policy was a tad hasty, and if approached with no expectations, The Horns of Nimon is actually something of an overlooked jewll.

Season seventeen was Doctor Who's pantomime season; and never more so than in this story. Madcap antics from our flamboyant hero, hammy performances from Graham Crowden ("Lord Niiiiimmmmooonnn!"), dodgy costumes (Sorak's Sydney Opera House uniform)....there's even an upright pantomime horse skulking around up to no good, menacing our Anethan babes in his self reconfiguring wood!

Tom and Lalla are, as usual fantastic, but what a shame the co-pilot got bumped off so soon, he was probably the most enjoyable supporting character of the story, and so much better than the lame Soldeed. With the "Tom Baker Show" in full flight, Nimon was the perfect vehicle for Tom's wonderful eccentricities, and the Doctor is at his blundering madcap best. Who will be able to forget the exploding TARDIS console cartoon sound effects and Tom's deadpan "That's very odd..." line to camera. Doctor Who gold!

I loved the wonderful swaggering pantomime Nimon's, and whilst they were obviously not one of the most successful costume design's in Doctor Who's history, they are certainly iconic, and it's difficult to see how else they could have been realised on the shows shoestring budget.

Horns of Nimon is a story that is traditionally shunned by fandom, in fact I'm certain that if it was to be repeated on BBC1 this saturday evening, Great Britain would be consumed in a massive radioactive blast as thousands of people across the country all hit their remotes simaltaneously. I think as fans we have to be realistic, Nimon is a story that only a fan could love, and coming in at 189 out of 200 in a recent DWM poll, it would appear that not many of us like it either. Anyway....who cares, I think it's great fun, and thankfully it's DVD release is not too far away. Anyone else looking forward to this one?

Rating: 3 Tom's out of 5
ImageImageImage
Last edited by John on December 17th, 2009, 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
John

Re: The Horns of Nimon

Postby Toothy Grin on November 4th, 2009, 12:02 pm

I'm not a big fan of Nimon to be honest, I think it's one of Tom's weakest stories. It looks so cheap and tacky, even by Dr Who standards that it's quite amazing they were allowed to get away with it. Graham Crowden's Soldeed is dreadfully over the top, but in a bad way, (as opposed to, say Paul Darrow in Timelash who is over the top in a good way). The Nimon look ridiculous, the extras in yellow pyjamas are as wooden as a pine forest, and the costumes for the guards have to be seen to be believed. There's a clever story in there, but it's swamped by all it's other deficiencies. I'll still buy it on DVD, like I buy every Who release, but I don't rate it very highly at all.
Toothy Grin

Postby Captain Rum on November 4th, 2009, 12:24 pm

I'll also buy it on dvd and let's face it a weaker Doctor Who story is still better than most show's best efforts!! Also, the extras will more than make up for it, as a package the dvd will be worth getting....can't wait!! :D
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Postby John on November 5th, 2009, 1:35 pm

I hope there will be a decent "making of" documentary on the disc, the majority of cast and crew are still alive, though sadly Graham Williams and Douglas Adams are no longer with us. :cry:
John

Postby Captain Rum on November 5th, 2009, 11:20 pm

I think every one of the dvds should have a "making of" documentary, I miss them when they're occasionally not on a dvd.

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Captain Rum

Postby John on November 5th, 2009, 11:27 pm

Couldn't agree more.

Hopefully, if the rumoured Remastered boxset goes ahead, we will get upgraded editions of Robots of Death and Talons of Weng Chiang, which no doubt will have making of documentaries.

Come to think of it, Ark in Space could do with a few more extras too.
John

Postby Captain Rum on November 5th, 2009, 11:49 pm

I guess with the very early dvds they didn't know how many extras to put on there or how popular they would be, could be a variety of reasons. I think every dvd should have a commentary, making of and the production notes. Every Who dvd I play through 3 times when I buy it....first time without subtitles or commentary, the second time with the production notes on and then the third time with the commentary and normal subtitles on....then a cup of tea and a look through the extras :D

Even with the stories that aren't a person's favourtie like "The Horns Of Nimon" having the extras does bring a an extra dimension (doesn't have to be a dimension in space :lol: ) to the dvd as a whole.

Captain Rum

Postby Toothy Grin on November 6th, 2009, 11:23 am

Ark in Space and Robots of Death could definately do with a few more extras. They're 2 of my all time favourite stories, but the DVD's are very disappointing (even the covers are rubbish). I quite like the CGI effects options on Ark in Space, but they do jar a little with the rest of the look of the story. Ark in Space also has a fantastic interview with Tom (I think it's an easter egg), it's good because it's the first interview he ever did as the Doctor, and it was before any of his stories had been transmitted, he comes across as really modest, charming and down to earth, before he'd been touched by stardom.
Let's hope for speacial editions of Ark in Space and Robots of Death. (and Ark is apparently Tom's own personal favourite story).
Toothy Grin

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years