A Thank You To Tom Baker For More Things Then One..

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

A Thank You To Tom Baker For More Things Then One..

Postby Chrismo16 on November 25th, 2013, 2:21 am

I became a Who fan when I was 6 years of age. I would sit in my Great Uncle Albert's living room watching it on PBS (in the states) and fell in love with Tom Baker's Doctor. Al was more like a father figure since my actual father wasn't around. I have many fond memories involving the Doctor, K-9 and my uncle from those early years of my life. Unfortunately, the older generation of my family including Al have all passed on now. In 2005 I began watching DW with my son, who is now 14, and it has become a bonding experience for us as well. We both very much enjoy the recent Doctor's performances, especially Tennant's, but Tom Baker will always be a personal favorite. I would like to just take the time to thank you for being what spawned my love for the show and, in turn, making it the backdrop of some very special memories for me. I'm sure that mine is one of MANY lives you've touched and on behalf of those whom have passed, or simply didn't know of a way of voicing their gratitude, thank you Tom Baker.

Mr. Baker's appearance in the 50th Anniversary Special added yet another emotional moment to my Who fandom. It was beautiful and unexpected. I would also like to thank you for revisiting this character we all love and treating it with such passion, love and vigor.

Good health and best regards,

Chris
Chrismo16

Re: A Thank You To Tom Baker For More Things Then One..

Postby Wonkakid on November 25th, 2013, 6:56 am

^^ Well said, Chris. Tom's Doctor will always hold a special place in my heart and memories too.

I first discovered DW by accident. In Chicago, it used to air every weeknight at 5:30. There was an educational science show that preceded it called 3-2-1 Contact. One evening when I was 12, I decided to see what this so-called "Doctor Who" was. It was "The Invasion of Time." I was hooked instantly. God bless you, Tom, for everything you've given us and continue to give.

Rob
Wonkakid

Re: A Thank You To Tom Baker For More Things Then One..

Postby Graceful Leonard on November 25th, 2013, 5:50 pm

Yes, I'm grateful for Tom for doing the 50th. I don't suppose he needed to.

I would love to see the 'curator' crop up again in the new series -- I'm sure there are many stories that could incorporate him. But even if it doesn't happen, Tom's doctor was the avuncular presence in my young life that made the world seem a little less daunting. You can't ask for more than that.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years