Your favourite Tom Baker outfit

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Your favourite Tom Baker outfit

Postby Marcello Cristiano on August 7th, 2010, 1:59 am

I loved all of the outfits, but if I were to choose, I would go for the velvet brown frock coat. There's just something about velvet that I adore.

If I were to make my own outfit for TOM's Doctor, I would give him an all Black outfit ala The Master. A rich black LONG Velvet frock coat, a 28 foot black silk scarf(some episodes he would have a black wool or acrylic scarf), a black shiny high wing collar shirt, a black silk ascot or velvet ascot. Sometimes he could wear his black high wing collar shirt open a few buttons without the ascot(this would make millions upon millions of women drool with extreme lust and men envious). His hair would be as long as it has ever been in the series. His pants would be black silk trousers. He would have a black satin waist coat with fob watch dangling. Sometimes TOM's Doc would wear a black cape on top of his outfit(one of those capes that William Hartnell's Doctor wore). I guess I wanna see TOM's Doctor looking like Dracula :twisted: except with a 28 foot scarf looped around several times. Sometimes he would only have a 15 foot scarf. So there would be variances in the scarf size to suit adventure and look. In one episode(but only one) TOM would have a full beard ala John Lennon from the Abbey Road album cover. Or Paul McCartney from Let It Be. Though I suspect TOM's would look more like Lennon's as his facial hair colour is lighter than McCartney's. Sometimes TOM's Doctor would wear a black velvet wide brimmed floppy hat, and when he's not wearing it, he would roll it up and place it in his black velvet frock coat pocket. Oh the possibilities! I should draw a picture of TOM in this outfit. Rather a few pictures to show the variances in outfit and facial hair, etc. TOM is so much FUN to costume design!!! 8-)
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby fowens22 on August 8th, 2010, 6:00 am

Yes I preferred the multicolored scarf to the purple despite purple being my favourite colour. It always looked like he might accidentally strangle himself though
fowens22

Postby Marcello Cristiano on August 8th, 2010, 5:32 pm

Yeah the purple scarf was the longest he had ever had. It absolutely enveloped him! It was a monster of a scarf! :D
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Marcello Cristiano

Postby fowens22 on August 13th, 2010, 12:31 pm

It was long enough that it could have been turned into a decent blanket :)
fowens22

Postby Toothy Grin on August 13th, 2010, 3:45 pm

Marcello Cristiano wrote:I loved all of the outfits, but if I were to choose, I would go for the velvet brown frock coat. There's just something about velvet that I adore.

If I were to make my own outfit for TOM's Doctor, I would give him an all Black outfit ala The Master. A rich black LONG Velvet frock coat, a 28 foot black silk scarf(some episodes he would have a black wool or acrylic scarf), a black shiny high wing collar shirt, a black silk ascot or velvet ascot. Sometimes he could wear his black high wing collar shirt open a few buttons without the ascot(this would make millions upon millions of women drool with extreme lust and men envious). His hair would be as long as it has ever been in the series. His pants would be black silk trousers. He would have a black satin waist coat with fob watch dangling. Sometimes TOM's Doc would wear a black cape on top of his outfit(one of those capes that William Hartnell's Doctor wore). I guess I wanna see TOM's Doctor looking like Dracula :twisted: except with a 28 foot scarf looped around several times. Sometimes he would only have a 15 foot scarf. So there would be variances in the scarf size to suit adventure and look. In one episode(but only one) TOM would have a full beard ala John Lennon from the Abbey Road album cover. Or Paul McCartney from Let It Be. Though I suspect TOM's would look more like Lennon's as his facial hair colour is lighter than McCartney's. Sometimes TOM's Doctor would wear a black velvet wide brimmed floppy hat, and when he's not wearing it, he would roll it up and place it in his black velvet frock coat pocket. Oh the possibilities! I should draw a picture of TOM in this outfit. Rather a few pictures to show the variances in outfit and facial hair, etc. TOM is so much FUN to costume design!!! 8-)

NO! NO! NO! That wouldn't suit Tom at all. He's not the Master, and he shouldn't look like a villain. The best Tom look for me if I could choose would be a mixture of some of the different clothes he wore during his time - I love the season 18 coat, but not the whole outfit (too stylised and too much burgundy), so I would have the Season 18 coat, the longest multi-coloured scarf, the green felt hat, the checked wasitcoat, paisley tie, and the grey tweed trousers with shoes - that's a bit of everything.
Toothy Grin

Postby Marcello Cristiano on August 13th, 2010, 10:37 pm

Ah but that's an old stereo type that dressed all black is a villians look. Johnny Cash wore all black and he's certainly not a villian. So did Christopher Eccleston's Doctor when he wore the black V-neck sweater instead of red or green, etc. I'm not saying that TOM would have "my look" for all seven seasons, just an episode or two.

I like your suggestion too, Toothy Grin, for a TOM outfit. Don't think I'm against colours in an outfit. In fact, I'm very much a colours man in the way that I dress. I just wear black occassionally. I also am a colours man when it comes to surrealism, abstract, and pop art paintings, etc., but that's a different story. :D

P.S. Plus TOM had a full beard in Nicholas & Alexandra and The Golden Voyage of Sinbad and looked great. The beard definately suits him. It brings out his "toothy grin" even more, as well as his mesmerizingly beautiful blue eyes. I'm not saying he should have the full beard for all seven seasons, just one or two stories. :)

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Marcello Cristiano

Previous

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years