Tom's Doctor and His Companions

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Tom's Doctor and His Companions

Postby Captain Rum on August 26th, 2013, 4:20 pm

I will stick up for Adric/Matthew Waterhouse, as he was very young and had not done much acting before becoming Adric. I think the way his character was written didn't help at times either, being a mathematical genius meant that he was rarely going to get along with anyone because it's assumed geniuses are flawed when it comes to talking to others or are seemed to be unapproachable. I liked him as I was a kid growing up and taking in as much Who as possible, he was part of the tardis crew when I first watched it on a regular basis so will always stick up for him and he's a very nice bloke to talk to in the flesh too.

I loved most of the stories with Sarah and the Key To Time with the first Romana, so they would be my top two with Tom.
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Postby mikotyk on August 30th, 2013, 11:32 pm

I thought that Sarah Jane was perhaps the best fit as far as companions go for the Doctor but I also liked the contrast between Tom's civilized Doctor and the barbarian Leela.
Someday, my ship will come in, but with my luck, I'll be stranded at the airport!
mikotyk

Postby Captain Rum on September 3rd, 2013, 12:44 pm

Loved it best with Sarah Jane and also the "Key To Time" series with The first Romana, Mary Tamm was perfect casting for a Time Lady, charisma and presence in abundance and sorely missed :cry:
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Postby metalheadjay on October 7th, 2013, 12:49 pm

mikotyk: I also liked the contrast between Tom's civilized Doctor and the barbarian Leela.
------------------------------------------

I truly wish they would have exploited that teacher/pupil aspect of their relationship even more so. I did so enjoy when Tom reprimanded her on those violent, aggressive tendencies she displayed on occasion.
metalheadjay

Postby Betty on October 7th, 2013, 12:57 pm

metalheadjay wrote:I truly wish they would have exploited that teacher/pupil aspect of their relationship even more so. I did so enjoy when Tom reprimanded her on those violent, aggressive tendencies she displayed on occasion.

Then you might really like the Big Finish audios featuring Tom & Louise Jameson. They made sure to explore this aspect more thoroughly.
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby angelafmy on January 9th, 2014, 8:37 am

The chemistry was definately there too, you believed they were best of friends. The magnificence of Tom mixed with the pure, strong hearted beauty of Lis.
angelafmy

Previous

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years