Worst Tom Performance?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Worst Tom Performance?

Postby paulaustin on November 16th, 2012, 9:14 am

For me it's The Horns of Nimon closely followed by Nightmare of Eden.
paulaustin

Re: Worst Tom Performance?

Postby Prydonian on November 16th, 2012, 4:33 pm

Nightmare of Eden for me.
Prydonian

Postby metalheadjay on March 12th, 2013, 8:24 am

I don't think Tom has ever given a bad performance in his whole career much less so in "Doctor Who". He was always excellent and NEVER boring. A few of his stories may have been above average. But even those stories have alot to offer in terms of entertaining the viewer. Some folks are somewhat surprised by the fact that I enjoy those average Tom stories moreso than the best stories from "NuWho"! They just have quite a few more appealing aspects about them.. to me personally. You just feel like, despite having a weak script...they just were more creative and worked harder to make the best of it back then. Technology has made everything so easy and a lack of work ethic is too prevalent these days. Perhaps not enough time is spent on crafting these stories now. Not enough attention paid to the smallest detail.

Jay
metalheadjay

Postby bcm77 on March 31st, 2013, 2:26 pm

Tom & bad performances = Does not compute :mrgreen:
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby Betty on April 1st, 2013, 1:47 am

I second that.

I don't think this thread should even be here.
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby Prydonian on April 3rd, 2013, 2:32 am

Perhaps the term "least favorite" should have been used instead of "worst performance?" The Ark in Space is my "least favorite" as I dont like the story monsters that could have given me nightmares as a kid. Nightmare of Eden was just less quality than other stories done that particular season. So thats my further two cents. :roll:
Prydonian

Postby tch on April 3rd, 2013, 2:48 am

My choice for worst performance is when he spent all that time turning Big Finish down, so that we missed out on getting any new 4th Doctor/Sarah Jane or Brig.Lethbridge-Stewart stories.
tch

Postby Betty on April 3rd, 2013, 5:47 am

I don't think Tom ever turned Big Finish down, actually. It's a common misunderstanding of facts. I remember Nick Briggs talking about it. Apparently, Tom said something general about getting loads of bad scripts and someone thought he was talking about Big Finish, while Tom had no idea who Big Finish even was back then, so he was definitely not talking about it.
"Once, I was a real turtle"
Betty

Postby Graceful Leonard on April 25th, 2013, 6:58 pm

I didn't like it when he broke the fourth wall and said "Even the sonic screwdriver doesn't work", or whatever it was. It was too close to sending things up in a show that hinges on the suspension of disbelief. The director shouldn't have allowed it.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby metalheadjay on August 25th, 2013, 8:38 pm

I actually love that scene at the beginning of "Face Of Evil" when he breaks the fourth wall. As a kid, I thought the doctor was actually speaking to me. Thought it was pretty cool. Plus, he was all alone at this point(after The Deadly Assassin). So, I think he had to either talk to himself or break the fourth wall to be amusing. I think it's a testament to Tom's creative genius.
metalheadjay

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years