Thirty Years ago in Italy: Robots!

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Thirty Years ago in Italy: Robots!

Postby WhoGabe on February 6th, 2010, 4:51 pm

Today is a very special day for all Italian Whovians!
Tonight at 7:20 p.m. will be exactly thirty years since the very first episode of Doctor Who was broadcast on our TV.
It was February 6th (a wednesday, if I'm not mistaken)) and the first part of "Robot" started.
I remember that day very vaguely, because for me Doctor Who didn't have any more appeal than every other sci-fi... that is until a Sontaran appeared on my little black and white TV set several weeks later. But when I got hooked... well, that smiling Doctor with the long scarf and the hat entered my mind and heart and never faded away!
We Italians had to endure a strange dubbing, with incidental silly music added to the score (to this day I don't know why), but Tom Baker became the Doctor... and he is still the only Doctor we have been able to watch on a free TV! He is still the only Doctor of the "classic" era we've ever met!
So next winter, when we will be getting together again for another small convention of ours, we will celebrate this thirtieth anniversary sharing good memories. It would be great to share this special occasion with the Man Himself... ;) ...but for now that remains only a wish!
I will make a toast with a glass of wine for Tom Baker and his being the Italian Doctor tonight, and I wanted to share this moment here with all of you!
<<Strange how a teapot can represent at the same time
the comforts of solitude and the pleasures of company.>>
WhoGabe

Re: Thirty Years ago in Italy: Robots!

Postby tracy on February 7th, 2010, 6:46 pm

:D congratulations whogabe
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Marcello Cristiano on February 9th, 2010, 10:42 pm

Thank you for sharing that WhoGabe. As an Italian(Although I was born in Niagara Falls, Ontario CANADA. My parents were born in Italy), I feel very proud of that. THANKS again. :)
" 'Wibbsey' would be a wonderful word for pillow talk, wouldn't it? Especially if you said it softly..."

TOM BAKER
(2010)
DEMON QUEST
Doctor Who Magazine #425 (Interview)
Marcello Cristiano

Postby italykikka on August 6th, 2010, 6:10 pm

I'm Italian, and I'm rimember when trasmissed the firs episode in italy: is the moment when I folling in love for Tom Baker in totaly mode. I was a 15 little girl, but I rimember like was yesterday
italykikka

Postby Gold Usher on August 9th, 2010, 10:57 pm

Has it been that long? Did the Pertwee series ever air there or did the whole thing start with Tom's coming out?

I came in just afterwards with Sontaran Experiment but finally after a few years, got to see Robot. Big difference when Tom was comfortable with everyone compared to 'Robot'.

But I've taken the Robot's phase quite literally...'balance' and all it implies. :D

WhoGabe, you have Gathers too? would love to see some photos of that if you have any.
Been too long since one has been here at my house....
Tinkering with the idea again if times (meaning $$) are right for everyone....
Gold Usher

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years