50th Celebrations

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: 50th Celebrations

Postby Captain Rum on October 1st, 2012, 2:35 am

Whenever I think of the 50th Anniversary celebrations I have a deep sense of foreboding, then again I am one of those older fans who believe that the new version of Who is pretty average, my views especially of Catherine Tate couldn't be printed here!

It depends on "Who's" in it, how good the script is and who they have as companions....I'm of the opinion that unless Tom gets the starring role (unlikely as it'll be given to Matt Smith as the current Doctor) then it won't be worth watching.

Classic and Nu-Who are going to be very hard to turn into a show, Nu-Who has the Doctor acting too human-like, too much hugging, kissing, crying and all the companions make it obvious they fancy the Doctor...whereas the relationship in the classic series, especially between Tom's Doctor and Sarah Jane was MUCH, much better...a lot stronger thanks to great acting and writing and it didn't need constant physical attraction to show how close they were....the definitive Doctor and companion.

Then there's a lot more I don't like, but I won't put it here, except to say that River Song's BOUND to be in it, everytime someone tries to convince me that Nu-Who's got better I go back to watch it and it's always the same...she's had more comebacks than Status Quo and if the Beeb aren't careful she'll be in more episodes than Tom!

So, IF they have Tom in it he has to be the focal point, but if he's not in it I'll settle down with my Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Monopoly set instead :D

If Moff wants to see how Who should be written he should check out Robert Holmes' and Chris Boucher's stories, make it a family show again and not a kid's one.
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Postby bcm77 on March 31st, 2013, 2:12 pm

My 50th Anniversary celebrations were set as soon as Big Finish announced their story featuring Tom along with Doctors 5-8 so what happens on TV isn't of any importance to me at all.

Steven Moffat's stories have never entertained me in the slightest and his vision of the show since he took over from RTD was for me entirely lacking in redeeming qualities so I gave up during series 6....it is unlikely I will give the modern show any more chances.

Having said that I sincerely hope everybody who continues to watch gets a lot of enjoyment from it.

The great thing about Who's longevity is that there's something for everyone and Big Finish have more than filled the void for me especially since Tom was brought on board but I've also found new appreciation for Doctors 5-8 as well and I've never been more content as a fan.
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby tch on August 28th, 2013, 7:53 pm

I do like how between the TV show and Big Finish we are getting two 50th specials.
tch

Postby Captain Rum on September 3rd, 2013, 12:32 pm

I think from my perspective and after seeing my previous comment on this thread I still don't have high expectations, but I do hope it's a success. I enjoy Tom's Big Finish stories so will get "the Light at the End" (probably the £15 one and not the £40 one, a bit too close to Christmas for splashing out!) At least with it being the 50th year they've done well with some of the merchandise and dvds, the Fourth Doctor Time Capsule and forthcoming "Terror of the Zygons" release are a couple of gems :D

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Captain Rum

Postby tracy on September 3rd, 2013, 1:37 pm

yes im looking to get toms 50th anniverery big finish cd and got the get the rest of the 4th dr audios yet with mary tamm so i need to update things plus other things to :)
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Captain Rum on September 4th, 2013, 3:02 am

I'm sure you'll enjoy them, the audio adventures with Mary Tamm brought back how great the "Key to Time" saga was :D

Captain Rum

Postby tch on October 25th, 2013, 3:40 am

a theater about an hour's drive from my house is showing the 50th TV special on the big screen.
If tickets aren't too crazy I'm thinking it'll be fun to take my kids and go see it.

While I'll miss being able to pause it and chat about what's going on, I think it'd be fun to celebrate the 50th in a big room full of other fans.

Now, I just have to save my dimes for 'The light at the end' and I can make the whole weekend a huge Who festival.
tch

Previous

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years