Ever done a Tom-a-thon?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Ever done a Tom-a-thon?

Postby Toothy Grin on October 7th, 2011, 2:59 pm

If only the new series of Doctor Who was half as good as stories like Pyramids Of Mars.....
Toothy Grin

Postby Graceful Leonard on October 7th, 2011, 4:35 pm

Toothy Grin wrote:If only the new series of Doctor Who was half as good as stories like Pyramids Of Mars.....

I haven't watched much of the new series, but I have seen some really good ideas and performances in there. In my opinion, the problem lies in the fact that they are now making a modern, fast-paced show that allows no real time for character development or depth. The four-part Pyramids would these days be hurtled through in fifty mins.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby Toothy Grin on October 8th, 2011, 2:04 pm

Time to pull out my shaky old VHS copy of The Android Invasion now (DVD due out in January folks!). This is a story with more holes in it than a swiss cheese - for example how can the Doctor, at the end, use his robot jamming device if they've all been deactivated? Why has Crayford never looked under his eye patch to discover his intact eye? If the duplicate village and space centre are copied from Crayford's mind why isn't there and android of the Brigadier (who has his own office at the space centre? Why do the Kraals need to blow up the duplicate village? The rest of the Kraal invasion force is left unmentioned at the end - what happens to them?? Why do the Kraals need androids at all if their virus will wipe out all life???
Despite all these flaws, The Android Invasion is still a very entertaining story. The location filming in the village is very picturesque, Tom has some great lines("Is that finger loaded?" "Let's try the pub!"), and there's a Invasion of the Body Snatchers/Stepford Wives vibe to the story. The Kraals are a tad disappointing as villains, but Crayford is a sympathetic/ misguided villain. Shame the Brigadier isn't in it as Col Faraday is a very obvious substitute.
Not really a classic but at least never boring.
Toothy Grin

Postby Peterdalek on October 10th, 2011, 6:49 pm

The Android Invasion I guess is not considered a classic, but despite it's many holes is still a classic in my mind. The wonderful chemistry between Liz and Tom is evident here and as a mere young 5 year old, as I was when this was tranmitted, this is a story that remains etched in my mind.

Peter :)
Peterdalek

Postby tch on October 10th, 2011, 11:38 pm

Not sure if 'Android Invasion' rates as a classic, but it is enjoyable.
Nice spooky vibe to the villages scenes and Tom and Liz are at their best. It is a weak send off for UNIT, and a shame we never see the Kraals again.
tch

Postby Toothy Grin on October 11th, 2011, 11:25 am

Back in bona fide classic territory again now with The Brain of Morbius. Yes, it rips off frankenstein but who cares? I actually find this story quite funny but in a very blackly humourous way (the brain slopping to the floor, Condo looking for his arm, all the talk about swapping brains and heads around , the ranting brain in a jar - it's bonkers!). Solon is a brilliant character played very powerfully by the superb Philip Madoc. The Sisterhood are fascinating and the design work of the citadel is excellent and quite unusual. As for the controversy over the mind battle and the other faces that show up - I've always just believed that the other faces are past incarnations of Morbius, not the Doctor. Making Sarah temporarily blind was a great idea and adds further tension to the story, and seeing Condo get shot producing a spurt of blood shows just how violent the series could be at this time.
A wonderful slab of gothic horror.
Toothy Grin

Postby Peterdalek on October 11th, 2011, 3:19 pm

Another classic for all the reasons mention, this was the first Doctor Who video I ever bought (not including Cushings Dalek Invasion Earth) and was watched over and over again as watching Who on demand was a novelty

Peter :)
Peterdalek

Postby tch on October 11th, 2011, 5:25 pm

Good moody story, where the limited sets and cast actually help build the creepy vibe and sense of danger.
Lots of strong acting from Tom and Liz, Morbius ( both the brain and in the jar and the monster) is a strong foe and I thought the Sisterhood were interesting and worth a return visit.

But, I tend to think that about everybody in Doctor Who...
tch

Postby Toothy Grin on October 13th, 2011, 11:23 am

Take a dollop of Day of the Triffids, mix with a helping of The Thing and add a dash of The Avengers - result? The Seeds Of Doom of course! The opening 2 episodes remind me greatly of John Carpenter's 1982 version of The Thing despite the fact that this pre-dates it by some 6 years. This is yet another classic from the programme's golden age, and one of the scariest and most violent. The opening segment is a wonderfully claustrophobic fright-fest, with something very nasty lurking in the arctic wastes and a good dose of body horror. From part 3 onwards things move to the grounds of Harrison Chase's mansion and are equally tense and gripping with great use being made of the location and a marvellously eerie and atmospheric music score. Chase is a superb villain, totally unhinged and Scorby is an excellent henchman. Keeler's gradual transformation is wonderfully disturbing, in fact the whole story is full of disturbing moments (the meat grinder being particularly memorable). Tom is at possibly his most violent ever, brandishing a gun, smashing a chair over the bad guys, punching someone unconcious and twisting Scorby's neck painfully. Amelia Ducat is splendidly dotty and Lis Sladen is at her absolute best, standing up to the nasty Scorby and Chase with gusto.
The only disappointment is the ending with the Krynoid being bombed - it just seems to easy a resolution.
However, The Seeds of Doom is another gothic horror masterpeice.
Toothy Grin

Postby Graceful Leonard on October 13th, 2011, 4:14 pm

Toothy Grin wrote:The Seeds of Doom is another gothic horror masterpeice.

This is another of my favourites and, for me, one of the few six-part Dr Who stories that actually holds up completely without feeling too padded out at times. This is probably because, as you mention, it's essentially in two segments.

Top cast. Can't really fault it.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years