Ever done a Tom-a-thon?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Ever done a Tom-a-thon?

Postby tch on October 5th, 2011, 3:38 am

The Movelions are on my list of 'one off' aliens' that they need to bring back at some point. They were interesting and had lots of potential ( though, a haircut might be in order)

Heck, the new show brought back the Macra, so I have hope.

Maybe Moffatt will be the guy to remember the Sontarions are at war with the Rutans and actually use them in a story.
tch

Postby Krono's on October 6th, 2011, 8:21 am

Rather the Rutan's than the Movellan's!
Krono's

Postby Toothy Grin on October 6th, 2011, 9:51 am

I thought the Movellans were pretty pathetic to be honest. You only have to remove that cylinder from their belts to disable them! And they looked like they should be dancing with Earth Wind & Fire or Boney M! :D
Toothy Grin

Postby tch on October 6th, 2011, 12:16 pm

Yes, the Movelions were not the greatest looking aliens, but the idea behind them was interesting and the fact that they fought the Daleks to a standstill...for one episode, then they got a vague mention and were never heard from again.

What happened to them? Heck, where did they come from in the first place? Lots of potential there, that was never used, not to mention they were a cheap to make foe. They look like regular humans.

Same with the Rutans. They can look like anybody and you don't need many effects till the big reveal at the end.
Maybe Moffatt will get all the timey-whimey sub-plot stuff out of his system and do a big Sontarion vs Rutan war story with the Doctor and co. caught in the middle.

a guy can dream.
tch

Postby Toothy Grin on October 6th, 2011, 3:39 pm

Yeah! I'm up to one of my absolute favourites now: Pyramids Of Mars. This is quite simply a masterpeice. I honestly can't think of another Dr Who story that is as flawless as this. The script, acting, locations, direction, music - everything just comes together to make a perfect Dr Who classic. Sutekh is utterly chilling, the robot mummies are genuinely scary and the scene where they relentlessly pursue the poacher and then crush him between their chests is nightmarish. There's a real sense of dread to this story, the priory and it's grounds being sealed off by the energy barrier hightens the tension and for once the Doctor seems like he hasn't got a hope of defeating Sutekh. The chemistry between Tom and Lis is at it's peak and Tom gives possibly his definitive performance. I honestly don't have any critiscisms of this story at all. Pyramids Of Mars is as close to perfection as any Doctor Who story gets. Marvellous stuff!
Toothy Grin

Postby Krono's on October 6th, 2011, 5:45 pm

Toothy Grin wrote:Yeah! I'm up to one of my absolute favourites now: Pyramids Of Mars. This is quite simply a masterpeice. I honestly can't think of another Dr Who story that is as flawless as this. The script, acting, locations, direction, music - everything just comes together to make a perfect Dr Who classic. Sutekh is utterly chilling, the robot mummies are genuinely scary and the scene where they relentlessly pursue the poacher and then crush him between their chests is nightmarish. There's a real sense of dread to this story, the priory and it's grounds being sealed off by the energy barrier hightens the tension and for once the Doctor seems like he hasn't got a hope of defeating Sutekh. The chemistry between Tom and Lis is at it's peak and Tom gives possibly his definitive performance. I honestly don't have any critiscisms of this story at all. Pyramids Of Mars is as close to perfection as any Doctor Who story gets. Marvellous stuff!

How ironic. I was showing my Pyramids Of Mars video to a friend, & she was surprised that the autograph was from the guy who played Hitler in Indiana Jones! Micheal Sheard. :lol:
Krono's

Postby Krono's on October 6th, 2011, 5:46 pm

Krono's wrote:
Toothy Grin wrote:Yeah! I'm up to one of my absolute favourites now: Pyramids Of Mars. This is quite simply a masterpeice. I honestly can't think of another Dr Who story that is as flawless as this. The script, acting, locations, direction, music - everything just comes together to make a perfect Dr Who classic. Sutekh is utterly chilling, the robot mummies are genuinely scary and the scene where they relentlessly pursue the poacher and then crush him between their chests is nightmarish. There's a real sense of dread to this story, the priory and it's grounds being sealed off by the energy barrier hightens the tension and for once the Doctor seems like he hasn't got a hope of defeating Sutekh. The chemistry between Tom and Lis is at it's peak and Tom gives possibly his definitive performance. I honestly don't have any critiscisms of this story at all. Pyramids Of Mars is as close to perfection as any Doctor Who story gets. Marvellous stuff!

How ironic. I was showing my Pyramids Of Mars video to a friend, & she was surprised that the autograph was from the guy who played Hitler in Indiana Jones! Micheal Sheard. :lol:

Erm....this was this morning.... :oops:
Krono's

Postby Peterdalek on October 6th, 2011, 6:00 pm

Aaah Pyramids Of Mars,

This is my all time favourite, I can't add to your review, it is flawless and my idea of Who perfection, it doesn't get better than this.

Peter
:)
Peterdalek

Postby Toothy Grin on October 6th, 2011, 10:17 pm

Peterdalek wrote:Aaah Pyramids Of Mars,

This is my all time favourite, I can't add to your review, it is flawless and my idea of Who perfection, it doesn't get better than this.

Peter
:)

Hear hear! Although there is just one story I favour over this one..the sublime City of Death. Two very different stories though.
Toothy Grin

Postby Graceful Leonard on October 7th, 2011, 1:02 pm

What a great idea for a thread this was.

Pyramids is in my top ten ever stories, along with Zygons, Morbius, Genesis, and others around this era.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years