Jon Culshaw on Pyramids of Mars DVD extra

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Jon Culshaw on Pyramids of Mars DVD extra

Postby Wonkakid on June 26th, 2011, 2:43 pm

I was watching one of the extras on the "Pyramids of Mars" DVD yesterday. In it, they included a piece of deleted/never recorded Tom and Liz dialog. I recognized Liz's voice immediately. But after listening to it two or three times I could tell that TB's dialog was actually voiced by TB impersonator Jon Culshaw (I verified this in the segment credits). I always thought that Culshaw's TB was spot on. But when listening to it more in context (and close in time to listening to the real TB), the difference is really quite noticeable.

Anyone else notice this?

Rob
Wonkakid

Re: Jon Culshaw on Pyramids of Mars DVD extra

Postby Graceful Leonard on July 6th, 2011, 6:58 pm

Well, to my shame I don't own this DVD, but this sounds quite interesting so I may well order it. I've always thought Jon Culshaw was about as close as anyone is likely to get.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby metalheadjay on July 16th, 2011, 6:54 pm

In terms of the voice, I don't think there is anyone better than Jon Culshaw. If you haven't seen his skits impersonating the 4th Doctor on "Dead Ringers"...you need too. They are gut-busting hilarious! You can find a few on "Youtube". I recommend the one where he goes sightseeing in London.
metalheadjay

Postby Graceful Leonard on July 17th, 2011, 3:56 pm

metalheadjay wrote:In terms of the voice, I don't think there is anyone better than Jon Culshaw. If you haven't seen his skits impersonating the 4th Doctor on "Dead Ringers"...you need too. They are gut-busting hilarious! You can find a few on "Youtube". I recommend the one where he goes sightseeing in London.

Thanks, will look it up.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby Wonkakid on July 18th, 2011, 4:22 pm

metalheadjay wrote:If you haven't seen his skits impersonating the 4th Doctor on "Dead Ringers"...you need too. They are gut-busting hilarious! You can find a few on "Youtube".

Indeed. I've seen them many times. Very fun. My favourite on Youtube is:
@ YouTube = watch?v=55lfbMr8gqo
"Doctor Who buying a Tardis wardrobe from Harveys" - priceless!
Wonkakid

Postby anthonyz on October 29th, 2011, 9:06 pm

Now that Tom has recorded the Pyramids of Mars audiobook, maybe they can lift the dialogue from that and use it in future DVD releases? I'd rather have real Tom than John Culshaw.

Anthony
anthonyz

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years