Should the next doctor be a woman?

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Re: Should the next doctor be a woman?

Postby ThetaSigma on December 25th, 2011, 6:10 pm

I agree, friend bcm77. For me the new TV series lost much its flavor and interest when the 05-06 era ended. I thought Rose ended up being tolerable by the end of her run with David Tennant. But things took a nosedive from there I feel.
ThetaSigma

Postby bcm77 on December 26th, 2011, 4:21 pm

ThetaSigma wrote:I agree, friend bcm77. For me the new TV series lost much its flavor and interest when the 05-06 era ended. I thought Rose ended up being tolerable by the end of her run with David Tennant. But things took a nosedive from there I feel.

I liked most of the first 2 series which was enough for me to get intrested in the trying out the Classic era but once I'd seen my first story with Tom as the Doctor a few weeks after "Doomsday" first aired I became hooked on the Classic style and my opinion of the modern show never really recovered even though I repeatedly tried to rediscover what I enjoyed about the earliest series.

It's popularity has done wonders for the overall franchise but I gave up for good after "The Rebel Flesh" and am sticking to the Classic DVD's and am starting my journey into the world of BIg Finish with Tom's new stories.

I accept the show has had to change to fit in with modern audience trends but that's likely the root of my issues with it as the fast paced style over substance approach used by Nu-Who and many other shows just leaves me cold....there's no reason for me to care about any of the characters and suspend my disbelief that they may ever be in any genuine danger.

That being said I do hope it continues to thrive for the millions that enjoy it as it makes the BBC plenty of money which has undoubtedly helped fund the restoration of more Classic stories for DVD release and made the audios Tom has done for the BBC and Big Finish financially viable projects so it's not all been bad :D
"I'm not a human being........I'm a Time Lord. I walk in eternity"
bcm77

Postby tch on December 26th, 2011, 4:39 pm

I think both new and old Who have had their classics and their 'who thought that was a good idea...?' episodes and while I will always have a soft spot for Tom as he was my first, I've never met a Doctor I didn't like.

I do miss some of the leisurely pace of the old four and six parters though.
tch

Postby ThetaSigma on February 29th, 2012, 3:01 am

Oh yes I do prefer the serialised with cliffhangers pace of the old series to the fast pace self-contained stories in the modern TV series. :mrgreen:
ThetaSigma

Postby metalheadjay on March 2nd, 2012, 5:06 pm

The show should have been brought back in the late 90's with Rik Mayall as The Doctor. I always thought he would have been excellent in the role.
metalheadjay

Postby philipdalton on March 30th, 2012, 10:49 pm

"Haven't they scrapped the incarnation limit yet? Oh well, they soon will if the programme continues to be a commerical success in coming years...they'll find some plot device to get round it."

Actually the incarnation limit has been scrapped already. In the 70's it was established in 'The Deadly Assassin' that Time Lords can only regenerate 12 times. However, I've read on a Doctor Who website that with the Time Lords now destroyed this rule actually no longer applies.

The Master's horrible appearance in this adventure was apparently due to him being at the end of his twelfth regeneration. However, he managed to bend the rules and continue living by stealing the body of Nyssa's father, Consul Tremas, played by Anthony Ainley, at the end of 'The Keeper of Traken'.
“Oh yeah, you really got me now, you've got me so I don't know what I'm doing"
philipdalton

Postby Graceful Leonard on April 9th, 2012, 4:18 pm

philipdalton wrote:"Haven't they scrapped the incarnation limit yet? Oh well, they soon will if the programme continues to be a commerical success in coming years...they'll find some plot device to get round it."

Actually the incarnation limit has been scrapped already. In the 70's it was established in 'The Deadly Assassin' that Time Lords can only regenerate 12 times. However, I've read on a Doctor Who website that with the Time Lords now destroyed this rule actually no longer applies.

The Master's horrible appearance in this adventure was apparently due to him being at the end of his twelfth regeneration. However, he managed to bend the rules and continue living by stealing the body of Nyssa's father, Consul Tremas, played by Anthony Ainley, at the end of 'The Keeper of Traken'.

If the ratings drop, the BBC may well bring the limit back!
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby tch on April 11th, 2012, 3:01 pm

There's been enough loopholes hinted at in both old/new shows that I don't think the 12 lives rule is really an issue anymore.
Heck, I can think of a half dozen ways and I'm only a talented amateur. I'm sure Moffat's got a list long as my arm.

I'm more concerned that if the show keeps going we can break the 'cute and young' barrier when it comes to picking the next actor to play the Doctor, let alone if they'll ever try a woman in the role.
Much as I like Smith and Tennant, I'd like a bit of variety.
tch

Postby Graceful Leonard on April 11th, 2012, 5:09 pm

tch wrote:I'm more concerned that if the show keeps going we can break the 'cute and young' barrier when it comes to picking the next actor to play the Doctor, let alone if they'll ever try a woman in the role.
Much as I like Smith and Tennant, I'd like a bit of variety.

Absolutely agree. Although I don't watch the new series, other than the odd bit caught here and there, I don't think there is as much difference between the last two as there has been between the prior doctors. I fear they are pandering to a target audience now.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby tch on April 11th, 2012, 6:33 pm

I like all the new guys ( never met a Doctor I didn't like) but I'd prefer it not be 'young guy, young guy, young guy'. Break it up a little, toss in one old guy for a change of pace.

Same with companions. Never thought I'd hear myself say it, but I'm pretty sick of cute girls.
tch

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years